Why Galaxy S7 edge users don’t need to upgrade to the Galaxy S8 or S8+

The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will be released in just a couple of days, which means that those of you who have been planning to buy this handset will probably be heading to your local retailers and carriers to pick one up. You have all the reasons in the world to upgrade to the Galaxy S8 from the Galaxy S6, but what if you own the Galaxy S7 edge? An argument can be made that you don’t really need to upgrade right now.

We were really impressed by the Galaxy S7 edge, so much so that the title of our detailed Galaxy S7 edge review was “Something great becomes even better!.” Here’s an excerpt from the review which will help you understand our feelings about this particular handset: “Perfection is the word that is applicable here, as the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge come with a spec sheet that has every major feature on it.”

If you’ve already read our Galaxy S8 review you will be aware that our take on the new flagship is that Samsung has brought us the future, but it’s not quite perfect yet. This doesn’t take away from the fact that the Galaxy S8 is a great smartphone, but we do have gripes with the weird placement of the fingerprint sensor and Bixby button as well as the fact that a smartphone which costs 800 Euro doesn’t even offer a screen time of at least four hours (well, the S8+ does, but not very easily, especially on mobile data).

Also ReadSamsung Galaxy S7 edge long-term review: Still the best Android phone

I think it comes down to what you’re looking to get out of your smartphone. Yes, there are significant differences between the Galaxy S7 edge and the Galaxy S8 when it comes to design. The latter has a gorgeous Infinity Display with minimal bezels and looks more stylish. It’s a natural evolution of the design that Samsung perfected with the Galaxy S7 edge. The question is, though, is that enough to warrant an upgrade?

It’s not that the Galaxy S8 has an advantage in terms of software. It may ship with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box but the latest Android OS update has long been available for the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 edge. You might say that the Galaxy S8 has Bixby but you and I both know that Bixby is essentially useless right now, not to mention the fact that it won’t even be ready at launch.

One of the big reasons why people upgrade their smartphones these days is because they want better cameras. The Galaxy S8 has a 12-megapixel rear camera with F1.7 aperture and Dual Pixel autofocus like its predecessor. The quality is slightly improved as the Galaxy S8 uses a new sensor and a multi-frame processor, but unless you’re looking to win any mobile photography competitions, the Galaxy S7 edge’s camera can hold its own against the best of them.

Granted that selfie lovers are going to appreciate the Galaxy S8’s 8-megapixel front-facing camera, which also has autofocus which is a first from Samsung. It’s a 1/3.6-inch camera sensor with F1.7 aperture and the ability to record QHD resolution video.

The Galaxy S8 may have an octa-core 10nm 64-bit Exynos 8895 processor which Samsung claims provides a 27 percent improvement in performance compared to the Galaxy S7 edge’s Exynos 8890 processor, but that doesn’t mean its predecessor is a slouch in the performance department.

The Galaxy S7 edge itself provided a 50 percent improvement in performance compared to the Galaxy S6, so while there is going to be a noticeable difference, it’s not like the Galaxy S7 edge will be completely smoked by its successor. It offers decent performance which will be enough for whatever the daily usage requirements of most users are (including all the latest games). We’re never using all of the performance all of the time so yes, better numbers do stand out on specs sheets, but we need to ask ourselves if we’re ever going to utilize the full potential.

We were very happy with the Galaxy S7 edge’s 3,600mAh battery, but not with those found in the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+. The new flagships feature a 3,000mAh and 3,500mAh battery respectively. Both handsets are larger and have bigger displays yet have smaller batteries. The result is unimpressive. We got hardly 3 hours of screen on time from the S8 during testing and that’s not something you’d expect from a flagship smartphone. Again, the S8+ fares better, but the S7 edge does good at battery endurance as well.

With prices starting at 800 Euro for the Galaxy S8, it goes without saying that the new flagship is expensive. So if you already own the Galaxy S7 edge and have been thinking about upgrading, you need to ask yourself if it’s going to be worth it when your existing device already offers exceptional performance, good battery life, amazing camera quality, and a design that’s still ahead of its competition.

Sure, if you like always having the latest device on you, then, by all means, buy the Galaxy S8. If you have a real need for features like iris scanning and facial recognition, it becomes even easier to recommend.

However, if you’re going to use it like most people use their smartphones, for calling, texting, social media, taking pictures and playing games then you already own the best device for all of it.

Opinion 44

Rauf Simban
3 months 4 days ago
Rauf Simban

Samsung galaxy a and j series should be like galaxy s7 and s8, that had a much and better specs..

rmcsc
3 months 13 days ago
rmcsc

My note 4 still rules. 🙂

obsydian
4 months 1 day ago
obsydian

Am pissed i got nothing free, i thought you get a Samsung Level speaker and also with Vodafone UK free Spotify for 24mths, i f i don’t get that the S8+ is going back and i will go to another carrier.

robbuerkle
4 months 1 day ago
robbuerkle
So, Samsung, you want me to shell out $850 for a new S8 Plus?!? Hah! As others have said on here, you burned me once – not going to happen twice! As an owner of the S7 Edge US unlocked version (G935U), I never thought ANY company would abandon a FLAGSHIP phone before the warranty even expires! Especially one that cost me upwards of $1000. Security Patches that are so far behind the my company blacklisted it as a BYOD. Samsung Support staff that have to be told that the G930U/G930U versions even exist?!? And Nougat nowhere in sight even… Read more »
4 months 1 day ago
jklnexus

As a power user I thought buying an unlocked device from Samsung meant faster updates however those of us on the USA 930u and 935u devices have not nougat while all the carriers have released nougat. AND samsung has the guts to release an unlocked USA variant in the US again after leaving a bad taste in our mouth… bye bye sammy hello google

4 months 1 day ago
Louis LeBlanc
I think you’ll find that most people that shelled out full price for the unlocked S7 or S7 edge in the US won’t be upgrading to the S8. In fact, most will never but another Samsung product ever again. Samsung security updates have been few and far between for these phones, and they are the only S7s still running Marshmallow with no Nougat rollout date. As for security, my S7 has received only 2 security updates since I paid over $750 for it around 9 months ago, while all carrier phones have been getting monthly fixes to known vulnerabilities. You… Read more »
4 months 1 day ago
hopallong

I thought about holding off till the GS9 ,BUT I just couldn’t pass on getting the new gear VR , AKG headphones , 256 SD card and a ton of vr goodies for 99 bucks. Hahaha #winning

4 months 1 day ago
Darin Ridgeway

I thought about getting this phone. Bottom line is my S7 is working good and I am not thrilled with the fingerprint scanner or the Bixby button. I’m going to hold out and see what the Note 8 brings but it was close after seeing the S8 I almost threw down the money! The phone is so fluid compared to my S7

obsydian
obsydian

Wohoo mine arrived nearly setup, first impressions gorgeous phone (even when off) makes my S7E look ancient – the finger print reader !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF, how stupid it is so awkward, only slightly easier using my left hand but then i touch that irratating Bixby button.

Need to decide between battery, finger sensor and bixby button if its worth it.

Nathan Taylor

I don’t need to upgrade to the S8 because the S7 Edge will be my last Samsung.

ichrypko
ichrypko

I’m still in doubt… Had a s7 edge… Went back to note 5… After nougat, some tweaks, it went awesome… My main issue is size…
On note i can easily pass 6 hours of moderate use… If i don’t keep it up all the time, at night it’s still at 25% battery…
Reading about s8 plus struggling to get 4 hours disappointed me… But well… Im addicted to tec…. I wonder if I should go for a all in with s8 plus, or try to wait for a while and hope that note 8 come as a monster…
Any ideas?

maccyb
maccyb

I’ve an S7 Edge, a great phone but have it due to a returned Note7. If I was an S model user I would definitely upgrade to S8 plus. as great as S7 Edge is there is a difference as soon as you hold one. No question about it. I will be waiting for the Note8 however simply because it’s my preferred device and a work tool.

obsydian
obsydian

Mine is being delivered today (wohooo) but i’m not home !!!

Personally i compared the two side by side in Carphone Warehouse, within seconds i felt my S7 Edge was a dated brick in comparison to the S8+.

But in general this video is correct, aside from a shiny new design and a UI tweak, its pretty much the same – and yes my MAJOR concern is battery, as with my S7E I struggle to get 1 day and use a desk charger at work and one in the car to keep going.

tiborh
tiborh

sad but true !

stondec
stondec

I really hope the fingerprint scanner location is fixed for the Galaxy Note 8. In my opinion that’s the single biggest flaw of the Galaxy S8

leviseralde
leviseralde

Even I, myself who owns an S6 Edge won’t consider upgrading to S8. Not a worthy upgrade for me. Lol! Maybe S9 or Note 9.

gtone339
gtone339

As a S7 (Regular) I may consider upgrading since I want a bigger screen display.

cristi_tatoiu
cristi_tatoiu

As an S7 Edge owner, I think you will be better off by upgrading to an S7 Edge than by upgrading to an S8(+). Not to mention that an S7 Edge costs about half the S8(+) while giving you 95% of the features and hardware. My 2 cents. As for me, I’ll hold on to my S7 Edge until the Note 8, at least…

prsten
prsten

i owe a s7 edge and im going to upgrade because of two reasons: DESIGN and DEVICE itself, s8 is smaller and more convenient than s7 edge, you hold s8 with ONE hand!!!

cristi_tatoiu
cristi_tatoiu

800 euros for a nicer-ish display with 3h SOT because of the smaller battery? That’s a NO GO in my book…

caesantos
caesantos
I was not going to upgrade, but… I went to a Samsung store and saw S8+ personally, for the first time, and I just loved the design! It’s a totally different aproach. In my opinion it makes all other smartphones look old! And now S7 Edge has a “clone”, Huawei Mate 9 Pro… And then I grabbed it with my hands and handled it. The experience of using it it’s better than S7 Edge, with the exception of that awkward fingerprint location. So I am a new owner of a S8+ and I am very glad! If you think Note8… Read more »
edismehmedali
edismehmedali

How much screen on time did you get with the s7 edge, it doesn’t say in the review?

Akleema2017
Akleema2017

I agree plus that awkwardly fingerprint location a fail bixby, a fail security face detection and slow iris scanner

xfrgtr

S8: better screen,better camera,better processor,iris and facial recognition,bixbit.And much better design,
Of course you should upgrade

Dijkertje
Dijkertje

I currently own a Galaxy S7 Edge and I, too, do not see the need to upgrade to the S8 or S8+. I really like the new S8, but I am actually awaiting the Note 8. I really, really want a Samsung Note device. By the time the Note 8 arrives, Bixby should’ve improved.

harinsheth
harinsheth

I want to upgrade to s8+ ( as do everyone and each owner of s7edge )
BUT MAIN PROBLEM IS MONEY
so all may wait for note 8 or s9

nishantrj
nishantrj

I am an s6 edge owner what do you guys think should i upgrade or wait for samsung’s new flagship?

cristi_tatoiu
cristi_tatoiu

Wait, S6 Edge is still a great phone. Only issues I can see with an aging S6 Edge are the battery and storage. If you’re OK with those 2, I really, really, really don’t see a reason to go to S8(+). At it’s current asking price, S7 Edge makes more sense from a value/euro perspective. You get 95% of the S8(+) at half the price. Can’t beat that! 🙂

mustaka
mustaka

Logically, not much need to upgrade. But of course if you have lots of money to burn, why not upgrade while there is better.

Akleema2017
Akleema2017

Dont upgrade

Mreveryphone
Mreveryphone

You should upgrade. There are a number of improvements that you could benefit from… Waterproof, SD card, bigger battery, more internal storage, upgraded processor…

cristi_tatoiu
cristi_tatoiu
About the processor thing – I still have an S3 lying around, using it as spare and for secondary games accounts. What slows an S3 down is not the CPU, which handles everything you can throw at him, it’s the storage that’s slower (eMMC vs UFS-2). The last notable CPU upgrade was from S2 to S3, from there on, 95% of the time the cores are just idling. You don’t need 8 cores at 4GHz to text, browse, snap a picture, read/write an email and stuff. My S3 handles Real Racing 3 just as well as the S7 Edge once… Read more »
wpDiscuz