Exclusive: Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ coming August 12, on sale from August 21

Going by Samsung’s usual launch schedule, the Galaxy Note 5 would be less than two months away from getting an official announcement at this point of time. Going by recent rumors, however, the time before the Note 5 is unveiled would be even shorter. Well, it looks like the latter is what we will have to believe in, as our insiders have revealed today the the Galaxy Note 5 will be announced on August 12, and go on sale around two weeks later on August 21.

We have also learned that the Galaxy S6 edge Plus will be launched as the Galaxy S6 edge+, and will be announced alongside the Note 5 on the same date (Update: it will also go on sale on August 21.) Samsung’s plan to launch two big handsets at the same time (and risking one device eating into the sales of the other) was leaked by a report out of the Korean press a few hours ago, and we can confirm that it is indeed what the company intends to do. The two devices will also be accompanied by the official launch of Samsung Pay, at least for the US market.

Now, let’s move on to a few details of the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+. First, Samsung’s next phablet flagship. Let’s get one of the most important aspects of the phone out of the way: The Note 5 will not have a microSD slot, something we had guessed would be the case earlier this month. In terms of design, the phone will basically be a blown-up version of the Galaxy S6. But like the Galaxy A8, the Note 5 will have extremely thin screen bezel, a design change that might come in handy in terms of ergonomics keeping in consideration the new metal and glass design that the Note 5 is expected to feature.

The S Pen will also be seeing a few design changes. According to the information we’ve received, the stylus will look more like a pen this time around (and apparently feel like one, too) and will have the same color as the color of the device. Speaking of colors, the Galaxy Note 5 will be offered in silver, gold, black and white options; these are the same options we’ve seen on the Note 4, though the glass construction on the Note 5 is sure to make these same-old colors look considerably better.

When it comes to the Galaxy S6 edge+, there’s really not much to tell. The device will be a phablet version of the Galaxy S6 edge, with a curve on either side of the screen and the same color options as the Note 5. We can, however, confirm that the S6 edge+ will be powered by the Exynos 7420 instead of a Snapdragon 808, and have 3GB of RAM. Oh, and as we said yesterday, the Note 5 will certainly become the first Samsung phone to feature 4GB of RAM. We’re guessing storage options would be the same as the Galaxy S6 lineup, though it would be great if Samsung would make the 64GB variant the base model to make up for the lack of expandable storage.

Provided all the information we have been given turns out to be correct, Samsung’s next UNPACKED event could be one of its biggest yet, if only because of the number of things it will announce on a single day. The August launch seems too early to be true, but with numerous rumors pointing at Samsung moving faster with the Galaxy Note 5, it certainly looks like we will be hearing everything from the horse’s mouth in under a month from now.

Phones 56

FBiL
2 years 7 days ago
FBiL
Personally I dont really mind about the battery, I’m never far from a handy charging point (car, office etc) plus the note 4 battery life has been excellent for me – 2 days for a single charge. What I wont do without is an external SD. I switched from a Note 2 to a Oneplus One for a while and the pain involved in copying my music (23gig) over made me swear blind never again. Before someone screams streaming at me, I regularly spend time in places where 2G signal is poor, and 3G and 4G non-existent which would make… Read more »
gazadon
2 years 8 days ago
gazadon
Personally for me i’ve not used sd cards since my note 3 used to corrupt them for no apparent reason. Worked great one day then the next unreadable. So i just stopped using them. I don’t store that much on the phone anyway so its not a real bother to me. I am currently using the dual sim s6 (g9200) and while battery life isn’t stellar it lasts long enough for my needs. Having said that i don’t think that i would walk around with an extra charged battery just for when the one in use goes dead. Had that… Read more »
obeythyswagga
obeythyswagga

Not having a removable battery and a microsd slot is a huge mistake by Samsung. If they add USB-C to the Note 5, the Note 5 will be ground breaking despite what they removed.

stondec
stondec

No removable battery is a fail, unless they can somehow manage to shoehorn a 10000mAh battery into the thing. I’ve been looking forward to upgrade my Note 4 but I just might skip the Note 5. Shame on you Samsung if this rumor is true.

bonerp
bonerp

Bye bye Samsung. Watch your note followers simply walk away. We don’t want an iPhone 6 lookalike. Or a big s6. You’ve really messed this one up.

SomMabile
SomMabile

Nope. Some will go, others will stay, new Note buyers will show up. I originally thought I’d suffer without those things, but after considering it I almost never swap batteries, and my storage has never been full, though I naturally download my photos once in a while. The “losses” are not that great, for many people.

manojmcn
manojmcn

While its justified that some fans were disappointed with S6/S6 edge for lack of removable battery and Micro SD card, there were lot who pledged to move to LG G4, HTC One M9 and Sony Z3+/Z4. Now that all these three alternatives are flop as per reports, any idea where those people went? Is it to iphone with an even inferior battery to S6?

SenorSjon
SenorSjon

They went simonly and hope phone makers will get it right next year. A flagship phone from a few years ago is still no slouch in current day use, so the need to upgrade isn’t as big as it used to be.

The current Snapdragon is a bit of a miss, so phones using it are not the happy campers.
Z3+/4: Same design since Z
One M9: same design since the first One
G4: screen is way off, batterylife soso.

manojmcn
manojmcn

Note 5 would be able to show the Samsung’s approach to the feedback from S6/S6 edge customers esp battery. If Note 5 battery size is anywhere near 4000mAh, be assured they are going to get it right with S7.

sza777
sza777

What i am seeing is
Note and Note edge

caesantos
caesantos

Not to mention that SD Cards can stop working from nothing… and then our beloved photos can just disappear…

SenorSjon
2 years 8 days ago
SenorSjon

Not to mention that phones can stop working from nothing… and then our beloved photos can just disappear.

In my experience, SD cards are more reliable than phones.

ThaiM
ThaiM

Can’t wait for the Note 4 prices to drop, or a better competing device comes out. Might just be done with Samsunk altogether. Good luck Sammy when Note 5 sales tank just like the S6.

gtm55
gtm55

Sorry to say but it seems that the Note series is reaching end of the line for me; it was nice while it lasted, time to move on.

tommypx92
tommypx92

Screw Samsung, I’ve been nothing but let down from them.
They could pump out all the phones they like, but support for the devices is abysmal.
Honestly I used to love Samsung but I can say, in complete sincerity that I, will never purchase another Samsung product again, regardless what it is, TV, Phone, Freezer etc.

They can keep their disappointment for themselves, and I, will find another company who values it’s customers.

ProdByEchelon
ProdByEchelon

The earlier the better! I want this phone now!

MStuart
MStuart

I’m not the potential target for this device (way too big for me) but I can imagine that Note users are going to be really disappointed by the lack of removable battery and expandable storage, even more so than Galaxy S users…

robertkoa
2 years 6 days ago
robertkoa
Yes.Same situation for me . I don’t have anywhere to carry a Phone over S6 sized but I feel that Note 4 is probably the best Phone/Pocket Computer ever made and unfortunately the new Note 5 may be a slight downgrade in some respects. Since S6 Battery is too small for me and not replaceable ( on my Alpha the Battery is too small but I pop in a spare on busy or long days.. IF Samsung got really clever and released an 8 millimeter thick S6 Active with no pushbuttons and no Armor just a metal 3500 mah S6… Read more »
vbx
vbx

where is the s6 mini?

masterross
masterross

No SD slot = fail!
I can live w/o changeable battery but not w/o SD slot!
Sorry Sammy, no cash for you!
I’ll stay with current Note 3 until better option appear!

SenorSjon
SenorSjon

And what is that better option?
Anything with an SD810 = fail
No SD = fail
At least 5,7″
Android.

The Note 4 downgraded to USB 2.0 instead of 3 from the Note 3 and the ‘premium’ metal rim is quite sharp.

thegeneral2010
thegeneral2010

they are afraid of apple of course they should be after how they treated note 4 owners i will never ever buy samsung device again i may shift to nexus or of course iphone

SomMabile
SomMabile

Do a little research. The Note 4 has the highest customer satisfaction of any phone, iPhones included.

q8peace
q8peace

i think nexus this year will be great cause its the first to get usb type c and sd card support and finger print and android permission and multi window wow no need to buy samsung again – usually nexus get update very fast

stondec
stondec
Stop kidding yourself. Nexus phones really suck. Some sick slightly less than others but they all suck terribly – most are ugly as a turd (except for the Nexus One and 5), atrocious battery life, inferior screen, abominable camera, buggy software, functionally limited software, etc. As much as I hate the steps backwards that Samsung is taking they still deliver a software that’s transcendentally more functional that stock android, they have camera optics that are second to none, best screen, among the best sound quality and loudness (of course beaten soundly by boom sound on HTC), etc. I would rather… Read more »
Tondern
Tondern

I don’t think we need to write more essays about the fact that it’s disappointing to see Samsung moving away from the flexibility they had in Note 4. If we can take any positive info with us from the recent leaks it would be that the S808 is not going to be in the S6 Edge+.

At the moment I’m probably looking more forward to the LG G3 pro if we can get a more powerful package than the LG G4.

j2001m
j2001m

If they gone 808 than you will have got your sd card reader as it does not support ufs

Channel42x
Channel42x

If I want something looking like an S6, I’d rather **** off for an iPhone again.
No removable battery, smaller battery, no MicroSD, looking like the S6 is a downgrade too for my opinion (the glass can break on 2 sides of the phone and it’s getting pretty dirty, quickly)…

Even the S6 Active looks better than the normal one.

hot_spare
hot_spare

Gets your eyes checked, if you think Active looks better. Idiot.

Channel42x
Channel42x

It’s a personal opinion. Everyone has their own taste. So no need to cal anyone an idiot.

focr06
focr06
Speak for yourself, even with a thin hard clear plastic case, my phone has not break and survived my white girl wasted drunken nights. And everyone loves how sexy the gold S6 edge is… With that being said, I was sad about no removable battery and SD card support, but now that I am using the phone, I AM GLADD IT DOESBT SUPPORT MICRO SD, for the same reason it used to piss me off before, SD cards slow down your phone’s overall performance… Specially camera! I used to have to reformat my card every 3 months or so, because… Read more »
Channel42x
Channel42x
I’ve never had any problems with SD-cards, maybe 1 broke because of the wear of switching it too much from one phone to the other. But that said, I don’t care about the fastest memory out there, just looking for the best. Don’t mind a MicroSD making it maybe slow down a bit, never had problem with slow sd-cards, maybe if they’re too full, then they can become slow, agreed. But that’s why I don’t push my SD-card full. Plus, SD-cards have good things too. If my phones decides to give up on me, I take my SD-card out and… Read more »
ThaiM
ThaiM

You’re in the minority. The majority speaks and S6 tanked sales reflect that beyond a reasonable doubt. And the S6 is geared more towards the average Joe. The Note series has a different more defined user base and this downgrade from Samsunk will have historical lows. The Note series has reached the end of its life. Samsunk will need to move away from mobile devices and try to capitalize on TV and appliance sales.

j2001m
j2001m
Why not posted above the note 5 is said to come with an all in 1 CPU, this is to make more room for a bigger battery, why is Samsung going to included all the ram and all other parts including ufs, in the one chip, to then go and add am emmc controler that hogs battery big time to also add the sd card reader and to then also take up mortherbord space and also slow down the phone, they best to just add the 808 as there is no support for ufs and ddr4 ram and then had… Read more »
wlting
wlting

no microSD… for me still fine, but for majority Samsung fans won’t like it happen… no removable battery must come with big enough battery sizes, we don’t want thin phone with small battery, my S6 must charge twice a day for normal heavy use

Danny D.
Danny D.

Blame Android L.

ThaiM
ThaiM

How do you make your comment green?

Vesta@12b
Vesta@12b

So basically Samsung will announce the Galaxy S6 Plus (AKA Note 5) and the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus? Wow, let’s wait and see.

caesantos
caesantos

No, basically you’re a hater.

ThaiM
ThaiM

I hate that I’ve been waiting to upgrade my Note 2 to a Note 5 when I should’ve gotten the Note 4 long ago. All this time to find out it’d be a downgrade to a Note 5.

robertkoa
2 years 6 days ago
robertkoa

Get the Note 4 .

hot_spare
hot_spare

What downgrade?? You seem to know a lot about Note 5 than other people here.

ThaiM
ThaiM

No MicroSD is a downgrade. Limiting storage options is a downgrade. Would you buy a car where they removed the trunk and told you to use a shipping service instead? ie. cloud. No, it’s a downgrade.

Nine54
2 years 8 days ago
Nine54
Lol, that’s a funny analogy. The issue I have with the lack of MicroSD and removable battery is that data doesn’t seem to support that these features are key drivers for customers. Despite having these features, as well as waterproofing, the S5 did not sell well compared to the iPhone and previous Galaxy S devices. People cited “build quality” as the reason. Folks largely agree that Samsung fixed the build quality issue with the S6/S6 Edge, but these devices still are not selling as well as Samsung hoped and are not truly challenging the iPhone. People now cite the lack… Read more »
robertkoa
2 years 6 days ago
robertkoa
Thinness is very overrated IMO and pushed by reviewers as an important “Premium” feature. The result is on S6 for 3/4 of a millimeter more you could have a 3200 Mah Battery and a less protruding Camera and the ergonomics would not be affected and they could have included SD Support and increased sales. S6 and Edge are selling well…but not great…they may not hit their 70 million target but not a flop by any means. I love Samsung’s Engineering skills and design skills- just wish they would have a few more phones like Note 4 ( but smaller) which… Read more »
SenorSjon
2 years 8 days ago
SenorSjon
Why copy an iPhone with the S6 when you could just buy an iPhone? People are put of by the lack of SD card, removable battery and the slippery glas back. It may look nicer, but it is an ergonomic hell. Don’t forget the price point and the difference between that and manufacturing it. Galaxy phones are getting more expensive by the year with diminishing differences between the different S or Note models. I remember my Nokia E72 well. It had a stainless steel backcover and it was easy removable for the battery. SD card went into the side of… Read more »
manojmcn
manojmcn

No, Note 5 is not exactly a S6 Plus.
It will have better hardware specs, S Pen related features.

Vesta@12b
Vesta@12b

You clearly missed the point of the comment.

manojmcn
manojmcn

No, you seem to be confused as to what S & Note series are.

wpDiscuz