Rumor: Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Project Zen details emerge

Now that the dust around the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge launch has settled, it’s time for some details around Samsung’s upcoming high-end smartphones. Yes, you guessed it right! We are talking about the Galaxy Note 5 and the successor to the Galaxy Note Edge.

We’ve heard from some of our sources that Samsung might release only one variant of the Galaxy Note 5 this time, unlike last year. It could feature a 2K or a 4K flat-screen Super AMOLED display, an Exynos 7422 processor, and the company’s homegrown modem, which it is apparently very confident of at the moment. The Exynos 7422 is expected to be the company’s first ever all-in-one solution (ePoP) as it will combine the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, and modem on a single chip. The Galaxy Alpha also had a similar solution inside, but it only combined the RAM and storage in a single package at the time.

According to our insider, Samsung is also testing some Galaxy Note 5 units with a new Exynos 7430 chipset, but this chip is supposedly just an engineering sample and the company currently has no plans to release it for consumers. It’s likely the Exynos 7430 isn’t ready for prime time yet. The same goes for the display — the company is said to be working on different prototypes, some with a 2K display and some with a 4K display, but it is still undecided which of the two will be included in the final version of the device.

Now let’s talk about the smartphone that is expected to replace the Galaxy Note Edge. It is codenamed ‘Project Zen’ internally, and it will not be just a curved screen variant of the Galaxy Note 5 (as was the case with the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge) as its hardware internals will not be completely high-end. It is rumored to feature a 5.4-inch/5.5-inch Super AMOLED dual-edge curved display, an S Pen, a hexa-core Snapdragon 808 processor, 16GB storage, a 16-megapixel primary camera with OIS, and an 8-megapixel front-facing camera.

You should to keep in mind that development on these devices is in an early stage and a lot of aspects can change before their official launch. As usual, we will keep you posted if we receive any further information.

Phones 33

n1nj4Lo
2 years 22 days ago
n1nj4Lo

I believe sources are misinformed about Project Zen/Note Edge 2, WTF Would they keep the same rear facing camera and decrease the internal storage… Stupid, stupid, stupid, don’t pull misinformed shit out of your ass if you just don’t know the facts!

Michel Merlin
2 years 1 month ago
Michel Merlin

As “TSABRAK” recalled (”My note will replace my PC one day”), the processing device has been a mainframe, then a desktop “micro” computer, then a laptop, then a (smart)phone. As such it should IMO have TWO microSD slots; and the OS should have a true Explorer, like Windows had up to XP. Accessorily it may be time to jump to 256GB capability for each microSD slot.
Versailles, Sat 13 Jun 2015 09:49:00 +0200

Ingmang
Ingmang

I understand this are just rumours, I just have a question. Wasn’t G928X zen project model? So, the replace for NOTE edge N915X is going to be G928X? As long as I know the “N” in the model goes for the devices that use s pen.

BSI2015
BSI2015

I think Galaxy Note5 going to be the best

DDM110
DDM110
What is wrong with Samsung why would they make the edge in a smaller version? They have the s6 edge and it is 5.1. I want the full size for the note 5 edge not some 5.4 size and do we really need a 4k i mean we are not robots we cant tell what display it is. Samsung should stop worrying about the display and worry about the battery life and what all the phone can do! I think that if they did this Samsung would actually take some of Apple customers. Am I the only one who thinks… Read more »
tsabrak
tsabrak
I’m afraid for note series. Removable battery saved my old SGS2 from faulty battery. It just died after 6 months with all my sensitive data. I just bought a new one and I changed it myself. I didn’t had to send it to my network or Samsung risking that they will get access to my files, passwords and pictures. My note 3 is powered by zero lemon 10k mah battery just because Samsung thinks that every user will check time and weather every 4 hours on minimum brightness set while sitting at home with their network connection off. SD card… Read more »
gtone339
gtone339

if the Note 5 gets 4k UHD display, then the S7 should follow suit next year.

atafal96
atafal96

sm-g900h xfe lollipop???????

muehli_94
muehli_94

I’m glad that the rumors about the note 5 are finally starting.
For sure I will be there at the IFA to get my hands on the note 5.

Tondern
Tondern

My Note 3 is starting to age and even if it hasn’t failed me a single time, I need some new blood. I really hope and expect that Sammy will deliver a wonder device here. Just keep the resolution at 1440p and the battery over 3k please.

mcbrain
mcbrain

Dream on @fullbazak!
Now talking seriously. Considering that Note Edge Note launch cost here 950-1000EUR (now is 800-820EUR) and that with each new model launch price increases by at least 50 EUR, should I expect Note Edge 2 (32MB version) to cost EUR 1000-1100. I get dizzy if I think about how a 64MB or 128MB version to cost. Honestly is daunting, no matter what they put in it. My Note4 going to be OK for another year at least.

dt33
dt33

LOL. Im sure no one would buy it if it only comes with 32MB , 64MB, 128 MB of storage. :p

fullbazak
fullbazak
I Like Samsung Mobile I have Galaxy Note 4 please company Samsung make mobile smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 OLED Curved body and display 8k ,3D Samsung Galaxy Note 5 OLED : OLED, fully aluminium and a 68 megapixel camera and Secondary 24MP with 8K and D3 ( for image quality and dynamic range. An all-new FX-format full-frame image sensor design—low-pass filter processing for flawless detail retention from snow white to pitch black, beautiful noise-free images from , an extremely wide dynamic range, flattering well-saturated skin tones and much more….. A deeper grip ensures stable handling, even for small hands.… Read more »
sanayp
sanayp

That one dream phone will never ever happen in this life time. Properly when a new species invent this

darooz
darooz

thats what they would have said about todays cellphones in the 80-90s

mirrordemon92
mirrordemon92

Lol dunno how much time you put into that but nice trolling 🙂

eHoolie
eHoolie

I’ll take two please!

eHoolie
eHoolie

But no curved screen, thank you..

tarek1980
tarek1980

Samsung just know how to release a device and forget about the others.

Hope that they will remember S6 & Note 4 after Note 5 release

Lollipop update for Note 4 came with many bugs & no fix until now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thegeneral2010
thegeneral2010

u say that like if they ever remembered it since day one note 4 was released samsung didnt give any shit about it all care was just for project zero just to make better sales than apple iam still on kit kat right now waiting for the damn buggy 32bit only for exynos stupid lollipop update i am really sure that many ppl who got note 4 will move from this company.

tarek1980
tarek1980
I’m really thinking about leaving not only Samsung but also Android, Android M few months away & still Lollipop market share is around 10 % with a lot of bugs & lag. Samsung is really such a greedy company, the moment they take your money after it directly they will leave you alone with hardware full of lag & bugs . Next time maybe I will try Apple or Microsoft Windows Phone 10, both have good update & care behind the OS users. Any way those who is still with Kitkat are the lucky people Kitkat on Note 4 is… Read more »
mirrordemon92
mirrordemon92

I have never had an issue with my Note 4 and the lollipop update has improved my phone with performance and battery life. So no I won’t be giving up on Samsung like you are 🙂

thegeneral2010
thegeneral2010

every note 4 owner complained from the bad care of the device from samsung even sammobile made an article about that so plz try not be like a sheep.

Sizzleboom
Sizzleboom
Last year, Samsung said they would be releasing a device with a flexible or a foldable display “next year” – so this year. I have been hoping really hard that the Note 5 is going to have a foldable display. I don’t want a tablet, but I still find that the Note II’s 5.5-inch screen is a bit too small for the month-view of the calendar and for taking notes extensively. It would be awesome to be able to fold the display open into a screen maybe two or three times the size, so that it’s basically a small tablet,… Read more »
Michel Merlin
2 years 1 month ago
Michel Merlin

Yes I think 5.89in is too small for the Note 5, I would prefer 7.0in as the Huawei MediaPad X2 (which, at 184x104mm, is exactly the size of my old wallet that I used to carry in my jacket pocket), or at least 6.4in as the xPeria Z Ultra.
Versailles, Sat 13 Jun 2015 09:36:20 +0200

wlting
wlting

no matter how improve on hardware part i just don’t care, most important for me still come with a hurge battery sizes for super heavy whole day use, then superb camera quality too

mur4d
mur4d

2K? 4K? Why don’t SUHD?

ProdByEchelon
ProdByEchelon

SUHD isn’t AMOLED as far as I know

lilmoe
lilmoe

I seriously hope it’s NOT a UHD display. It would be stupid overkill, with diminishing returns.
I also hope they keep the SD card slot. If they’re going for the same design as the GS6 with a sealed battery, then they better put a 3500+ mah battery.

UO88
UO88

I’ve heard that the 4K is needed for Gear VR to be better. I haven’t used it, but I’ve heard that you can see pixels when using it and that it takes away from the visuals. 4K will fix that.

EricG70
EricG70
I have a Gear VR and because of that I would like to have a 4K screen. I watch a lot of 3D movies and I can see that the resolution is less than a normal 1920×1080 movie. This is due to the fact that not the whole screen is used for the movie. In case of the movie theatre, the screen is also used for the illusion of sitting in a theatre. In case of the void theatre, it looks like the screen is a little bit bigger than the movie theatre (a little bit). I don’t know how… Read more »
Michel Merlin
2 years 1 month ago
Michel Merlin

Thanks for your informative, carefully written, useful analysis
After reading you I can only agree and hope the “Note 5” and “Note 5 VR” models.
Versailles, Sat 13 Jun 2015 09:30:00 +0200

grilla
grilla

Part of the problem with the gear vr is samsung oled screens have poor pixel fillrate, a lot of black space around the pixels. If you look at the old lcd projectors for example, they had really bad screen door effect because the pixel fillrate was soo bad. The newer 3lcd projectors have awesome pixel fillrate. A 720p 3lcd projector has no visible screen door effect. Not saying 4k won’t improve it, but a better fillrate would go a long way in improving the vr experience.

wpDiscuz