T-Mobile: Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note 5 Oreo update is a go

Home / News / T-Mobile: Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note 5 Oreo update is a go

Is Samsung actually planning to surprise us all by providing a third major update to an existing phone? North American carrier T-Mobile definitely seems to be working with the Korean giant on making that possible, as its support pages say that Oreo is coming to the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+, and Galaxy Note 5. Since these are official carrier support pages, they are easier to believe than Samsung’s usually off-the-mark support reps, who had given us hope a few months ago about the Galaxy S6 possibly not ending its life cycle on Android 7.0 Nougat.

Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note 5 Oreo update on the cards?

The support page for each device says that “T-Mobile and the device manufacturer have agreed to support a new software update.” Also written in big bold font is “Phase: Complete: Version 8.0 Oreo.” It could mean that basic development on Oreo for these devices has been completed and that the ball’s now in T-Mobile’s court to work on carrier certifications. That’s certainly possible as even Oreo for the Galaxy S7 edge was released in a usable state just ahead of the Galaxy S8 Oreo update. Since the software on the 2015 flagships and the Galaxy S7 lineup is very similar, getting Oreo up and running on all these phones probably won’t take much time, either.

But, as always, it’s better to be skeptical instead of getting your hopes up, until we get further confirmation about Samsung’s plans to extend software support to its flagship phones to three years. With the mid-range Galaxy A series phones getting two major updates for the last couple of years, upping the support game for the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lineups would be a logical move. You never know with Samsung, though, so it’s best not to get too excited just yet.

Don’t MissThese Galaxy devices will be updated to Android 8.0 Oreo (updated: January 31)

Thanks, Arif!

Via Source 1 Source 2 Source 3 Source 4

Firmware news 37

caglaykan
2 days 2 hours ago
caglaykan

bugün note5 için dosyalarımda bir güncelleme geldi ve cloudgateway özelligi yüklendi bu oreo için bir işaret olabilir uzun zamandır yeni güncellemeler ve simgeler değişiyor

anasmansuri786
6 days 17 hours ago
anasmansuri786

When will be the s6 wil 8.0

ghfr
9 days 22 hours ago
ghfr

I’d be happy if my galaxy A510FD gets at least 8.0I just want the Samsung experience 8.5 with the updated icons.

antoniole
10 days 12 minutes ago
antoniole

I just spoke with the support of Samsung UK and they told me that “the upgrade to Oreo is currently in testing phase on superior devices and MAY include the Galaxy S6”

iamnigeloke
11 days 7 minutes ago
iamnigeloke

I won’t hold my breath for the Singapore market, since Samsung has already been disregarding us in terms of the frequency of updates.
S6 Edge+ received a second Nougat update a few months ago inserting that missing BLF, but the normal S6 (and for that matter probably the Edge too) still has yet to get an update since its oh-so-late release in October 2017.

mianawais786
11 days 3 hours ago
mianawais786

anyone have idea when c9 pro will get oreo update?

Biransahin
11 days 6 hours ago
Biransahin

I wouldn’t get too excited about this yet. Should wait for official confirmation from Samsung. The one rationale behind them doing this is the loss of the Note7. Many Note users holding on to or who went back to the Note5 would deserve an extra upgrade.

kloony11
12 days 46 minutes ago
kloony11

I’d be happy if my Note 5 gets at least 7.1.1. I just want the Samsung experience 8.5 with the updated icons.

NdriqimJanuzi
11 days 13 hours ago
NdriqimJanuzi

You can install them manually just like I did on my s7

Andrei603
9 days 8 hours ago
Andrei603

My Galaxy S6 apps start updating with the new icons, i recently got an update for theme store too!😀

cool8912
11 days 20 hours ago
cool8912

Same

12 days 1 hour ago
Horus Osiris

This is great news , if this is true

WladoW
12 days 2 hours ago
WladoW

i was planning to buy next Pixel, but if this article is true and samsung will gave us 3 years of flagship support, i would stay with this brand 😀

VIRGIN KLM
12 days 4 hours ago
VIRGIN KLM

I’d still wouldn’t hold my breath. I mean for example, back then ,didn’t they have on their site that they were working on a Lollipop update on Note 2 and it ended up never coming out and they acted like they never said they were working on it? People seem to forget very easily.

manoteam
12 days 13 hours ago
manoteam

lll all this devices gets oreo update and note 8 not yet 😎

fcaroll
12 days 14 hours ago
fcaroll

Plot twist

Hcmnoy
12 days 15 hours ago
Hcmnoy

THE A5 2016 GETS THE UPDATE NEXT MONTH!! Contact me on Twitter @hcmend I send you from the chat of Samsung US and they confirmed the S6/edge/edge+ update Android I Oreo updated

gadsfan37
12 days 15 hours ago
gadsfan37

This is awesome. I don’t have my S6 edge anymore but for those that do, its great news. Might have to wait a little longer but still.

locarno
12 days 15 hours ago
locarno

So S7 Edge will get 9.0 in the future.

cool8912
11 days 12 hours ago
cool8912

It’s already confirmed that s7 will receive Samsung Experience 9.0

Hcmnoy
12 days 15 hours ago
Hcmnoy

Thats means the A 2016 Series become also ar Android 8 Oreo Update!

Andrei603
12 days 3 hours ago
Andrei603

No. Because A(6) series is not a flagship serie.

utvic99
12 days 15 hours ago
utvic99

I don’t think so, as they are not flagship devices. Not even S6 is confirmed officially to get Oreo yet, but even if it was, I highly doubt they’d step up the game for A series as well. A 2015 series ended with Marshmallow so it’s probably going to be another 3-4 years at least before mid-range phones start getting 3-year support (and that’s if high-end ones start right now).

sakshamgami
12 days 3 hours ago
sakshamgami

Why do u guys sound like u work at samsung and know everything about their policies u never know theres a chance it may happen and that it may not . How are u guys so sure that only the flagships will get this treatment . PS i have an s8

Hcmnoy
12 days 15 hours ago
Hcmnoy

Ich denke, die A 2016 Series bekommt das Update, weil das Android 8 Oreo in der 2-jährigen Update-Zeit veröffentlicht wurde. Und sie bekommen das Update, weil ein Supporter von Samsung mir gesagt hat, dass das Gerät es bekommt.

locarno
12 days 15 hours ago
locarno

Only two major updates. 2 years = security updates.

Petsiotis Dimitris
12 days 15 hours ago
Petsiotis Dimitris

These online supporters give people often false information. UTVIC99 is right. It is very difficult for a flagship device to get a third major update. The A series is more unlikely. If they do, they receive up to two updates, as well. Samsung doesn’t even have time for that. They have a lot of mid-range phones to design and much software to build.

Hcmnoy
12 days 15 hours ago
Hcmnoy

I think the A 2016 Series get the update because the Android 8 Oreo was released in the 2 year update-time. And they get the update because a supporter from Samsung said to me that the device get it.

12 days 15 hours ago