Not many topics keep Android users on their toes as much as big, feature-rich updates. And with the Android 8.0 Oreo update on the horizon, we are once more bombarded with questions. Will the Galaxy S8 get that update? When can I update my Galaxy S7? How about my Galaxy S6? Here we share what we know. Be smart and bookmark, since we'll be updating this article whenever new information surfaces.
We'll get right to the question of which device will be updated, but we can not make any predictions regarding a timeline. So, for example, we can say a certain Galaxy will get the Android 8.0 update, but we do not yet know when. If you're looking for all the latest news about Samsung's Galaxy and Android Oreo, scroll down past these lists to find all headlines with related news.
These Galaxys will get Android 8.0 Oreo: status and schedule
- Galaxy S8 – available – check out what's new
- Galaxy S8+ – available – check out what's new
- Galaxy S8 Active – available
- Galaxy Note 8 – available – check out what's new
- Galaxy Note FE – available
- Galaxy S7 – roll-out started
- Galaxy S7 edge – roll-out started
- Galaxy S7 Active – Android 8.0 will be the second major OS upgrade
- Galaxy A8 (2018) – development in progress, update expected in the summer
- Galaxy A8+ (2018) – development in progress, update expected in the summer
- Galaxy A7 (2017) – available (depending on market)
- Galaxy A5 (2017) – available (depending on market)
- Galaxy A3 (2017) – roll-out started
- Galaxy J7 (2017)/Pro – confirmed, update expected in the summer
- Galaxy J5 (2017)/Pro – confirmed, update expected in the summer
- Galaxy J3 (2017) – confirmed, update expected in the summer
- Galaxy J7 Max – Android 8.0 will be the first major OS upgrade
- Galaxy C9 Pro – Android 8.0 will be the first major OS upgrade
- Galaxy C7 Pro – Android 8.0 will be the first major OS upgrade
- Galaxy Tab S3 – confirmed
- Galaxy Xcover 4 – Android 8.0 will be the first major OS upgrade
- Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017) – Android 8.0 will be the first major OS upgrade
- Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) – Android 8.0 will be the second major OS upgrade
These Galaxys may or may not get Android 8.0
- Galaxy S6 series – received two major Android upgrades but here's some rumors
- Galaxy A9 Pro – Android 8.0 Oreo would be the 2nd OS upgrade, but unsure for now
- Galaxy A8 (2016) – Android 8.0 would be the 2nd OS upgrade, but unsure for now
- Galaxy J7 (2016) – update track record unclear, already has one major upgrade
- Galaxy J5 (2016) – update track record unclear, already has one major upgrade
- Galaxy Tab S2 VE (2016 models) – update track record unclear
- Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) – update track record unclear
- Galaxy J7 Prime (OnNxt) – update track record unclear, but maybe yes
- Galaxy Tab E 8.0 – update track record unclear, but maybe yes
These Galaxys will not get Android 8.0
- Galaxy S5 series – no more major OS upgrades
- Galaxy Note 5 – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A7 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A5 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A3 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy J3 (2016) – has not received an OS upgrade, unlikely to do so later
- Galaxy J2 (2016) – has not received an OS upgrade, unlikely to do so later
- Galaxy J1 variants – these devices usually do not receive OS upgrades
So, you ask, how do we get to these lists? Tracking Samsung's Android updates over a long period of time, it is clear many series and devices always get two major OS upgrades, before continuing with security updates only. However, as indicated above, this rule is not firmly established for most of the Galaxy J series, nor for several other devices.
Over time, we'll be updating the information above when we receive new information, or when it surfaces elsewhere. We have not included devices that have already stopped receiving major OS upgrades, like the Galaxy S5 or Galaxy Note 4, even if they still receive new security patches regularly. Other devices missing from this list will be added if and when we have tangible information to report.
One last thing we have to point out, is that we are, of course, not Samsung. This list is by no means based on official information and only enumerates our predictions, not Samsung's official update policy. Should our information be proven wrong, we will update this article, but we are not responsible for your device's updates. If you think we missed a device from the last two years, let us know in the comments and we will try to add information about that device to our list.
- May 1: Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge starts rolling out in the UK
- April 30: Oreo development for the Galaxy A8 and A8+ has started
- April 26: Note 7 Fan Edition receives Android 8.0 update in South Korea
- April 25: Galaxy A7 (2017) now receiving Android 8.0 update in Vietnam
- April 24: Oreo update for the Galaxy A3 (2017) available in Russia
- April 18: Android 8.0 update for the Galaxy A5 (2017) starts rolling out
- April 3: AT&T and T-Mobile's Galaxy S8 Active now receiving the Oreo update
- March 27: added more devices to the list, including Tab A 8.0 and 10.1 models
- March 16: Galaxy Note 8 starts receveing the official update to Android 8.0 in some markets.
- February 26: all Galaxy S8 Oreo-firmwares on SamMobile can now be flashed
- February 22: roll-out of the Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Galaxy S8 has resumed again
- February 15: Samsung has explained why the Oreo update for the Galaxy S8 was halted
- February 14: the roll-out of the Oreo update for the Galaxy S8 has been halted
- February 7: an early version of Android 8.0 for the Galaxy S7 has surfaced by accident
- February 5: Nougat development for the Galaxy S7, A3 and A5 (2017) and the Tab S3 has been confirmed
- January 31: it can't be long now, as the Oreo-beta has ended, and users should start seeing the first rollout any day now
- January 11: added even more devices to the list
- January 5: Android Oreo beta for the Galaxy S8 will end next week, signalling the official roll-out might be close
- December 8: an actual early build of the Android Oreo firmware for the Galaxy Note 8 has leaked.
- November 24: rumors about the Galaxy S6 getting the Oreo update have surfaced. We remain sceptical, but have upgraded the device's Oreo status to ‘maybe'
- November 2: follow us, as we explore all that is new in Android 8.0 Oreo on the Galaxy S8
- November 2: the long-awaited Oreo-beta for the Galaxy S8 has officially started in the US, UK and South Korea
- October 24: Samsung Turkey expects the Android Oreo update to be ready for release in early 2018
- October 15: a quick reminder that Galaxy phones on Android 7.0 will go straight to Android 8.0. There will be no Android 7.1.x for devices like the Galaxy S8.
- September 21: going by our information, an Android 8.0 Oreo beta for the Galaxy S8 seems likely
- September 8: we've learned development for the Galaxy S8 Android 8.0 Oreo update has started
- September 4: added more devices to the list
- August 21: it's official, Android 8.0 will be known as ‘Oreo'. We expect concrete information about the update for several Galaxy devices to surface in the next weeks.
- June 27: first list of Galaxy devices that will get the Android 8.0 update.