Home / News / Exclusive: Samsung stops Galaxy S8 Android 8.0 release, new version being developed

Samsung started rolling out the much-awaited Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+ last week. As promised, the update was first released to members of the beta program before it was rolled out to non-beta devices earlier this week. The update had only been sent out in a handful of markets but in a rather unexpected turn of events, Samsung has stopped the Galaxy S8 Android 8.0 Oreo update release.

Galaxy S8 Android 8.0 release halted

Samsung started the Galaxy S8 Android 8.0 Oreo release a couple of days ago for non-beta devices in markets like Turkey, Norway, the UAE, India, Belgium, Germany, France, Poland and others. The company had said that it would roll out the update in the Netherlands next week.

However, it came to our attention earlier today that Samsung had halted the rollout. We have conducted our own research can now independently confirm that Samsung has pulled Oreo for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+.

The G950/G955-FXXU1CRAP Android 8.0 firmware files for these handsets are no longer available for download on Samsung’s servers. We have subsequently removed the Oreo firmware files from our database as well.

There’s going to be little impact for those who have already updated their devices to Android 8.0 Oreo. They can continue to use Oreo on their handsets normally as this doesn’t affect them.

We have received word from a source that Samsung is working on a new firmware version for the Galaxy S8 Android 8.0 release so it should be out soon, hopefully.

The reason behind halting the rollout is unclear at this point in time. We have reached out to Samsung for a comment on the matter and will update when we hear back.

Firmware news 108

jmagoon
2 months 18 days ago
jmagoon

let us sell our new phones because if you update the old ones they will be better and faster then the new ones and we cant get paid for our new ones…..

ibshake
3 months 9 hours ago
ibshake

No news of the update?

zoran bibic
3 months 20 hours ago
zoran bibic

SM-G955F (SEE) is on security patch / FW : 1.11.2017 🙁

mazinmhanna
3 months 1 day ago
mazinmhanna

A whole week has passed since pulling out the update, what is the expected date for the new release? it is like you wait and wait again as if a new Android version come up? please.

3 months 1 day ago
Hans Wiriya

but Sam, Android P is not officially release… man u r way too fast

nathan807
3 months 4 days ago
nathan807

these are all bogus. just to calm down people… Most importantly there is no bug for S8 in Oreo update. in order to cheat people it is made like. see before around 25th Feb the same update will be given by changing log number tats all. just a gimmick work..

samsunggalaxy82
3 months 5 days ago
samsunggalaxy82

Good that they started a new development – I was wondering how samsung managed to release Oreo so fast , other brands’ phone has not got Android P yet. Happily using Note 8, a 1000$ phone, without latest security update and older android.
BTW Samsung really work on Android or its their Bada OS ? Because some of Samsung’s glorious apps crash on my note 8(Gallery etc ), also their apps does not follow android guidelines.
I am hopeful that soon their Bada OS will compete with other brands like Android , iOS etc.

saksaksin
3 months 5 days ago
saksaksin

Yesssss i have oreo on my s8 tanks XDA 😁😁

Wezsky
2 months 14 days ago
Wezsky

Same here, just flashed it last night…

buba0071
buba0071

I have flached the Crap firmware on 950f. i uses zip update.zip from XDA and did full wipe. I hate it!!. I have problems with Bluetooth making my phone freese when opening aps that want direct internet acces, like youtube. When using PocketCast with Sony SBH54 Bluetooth it is so bat that i want to trow my phone in the bin.
CRAP firmware!! 🙂

oggi21
oggi21

As CRAP update is denied by Samsung and I can’t rollback to “good” fw I can ask Samsung to get new device ?

HFL087
HFL087

I’m really angry at Samsung I own s8 955f
And stock on November patch level

I needed to get this update next week
Because they did problems I need to wait
Good know how much…..

Hope soon because of after issues I had on s7 edge I got s8+

This issue get me so angry I want to buy an iPhone

And I hate Apple

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

Google? Huawei? HTC? LG? – None of them android manufacturers appeal to you. There is more out there than Apple and Samsung, your go to from Samsung should not be Apple

HFL087
HFL087

Yeah i got approved by Samsung
The version been denied
They working on a new one..

cypunkd
cypunkd

I’ve just updated to CRAp and it’s a very stable version, this definitely makes your S8+ like a charm, the bad thing is that the samsung keyboard once again missed the multilingual recognition, what did you remove it if you had it previously? no sense…

uzishan
uzishan

I hope I won’t regret this 8.0 oreo. so far didn’t notice any bugs but this scares me a wee bit.

alexrazvan21
alexrazvan21

i think they stopped the release of Oreo because of the release of Samsung S9. in my opinion they want just the S9 to have Oreo for the moment and after that to release for other phones. Because if you have S8 or S8+ and you have installed the Oreo firmware, maybe you will not buy the new S9, you will not upgrade. I downloaded the Oreo firmware for the S8+ and i will flash it on my phone. If there is a problem with the firmware i will roll back to android 7.

lawsan
lawsan

man you know what you are saying. in other words, take the example for iphone when apple release IOS for older iphone and release a new iphone. i mean many people will buy the new whatever the old has the same version of IOS. people do not buy IOS but they buy new technologies. this is the case for all smartphone but there have a certain amount of people who buy new phone for just the new OS(android or IOS)

KSTu
KSTu

you flashed with odin without any issues?

61530041
61530041

I don’t know why samsung don’t leave android and create their own software !!

pjm1891
pjm1891

Like the security mess that is Tizen? That would be the death of them. Samsung needs Android just as much as Android needs Samsung.

aaronlafferty
aaronlafferty

I bet they halted it because of the firmware name *CRAP at the end. Doesn’t look good in the device war. LOL

gtone339
gtone339

what went wrong with the update Samsung?

gsdworld21
gsdworld21

Remember guys, Samsung always listen to the customer. We hear that same BS at every flagship launch. Any recommendations for a decent phone. I’m sort of looking towards the new Huawei when it’s released or the oneplus 5t. Time to leave the Note8 and Samsung I think. Not being negative but our phones cost us all a small fortune and the service is appalling. I think when the Note7 died, Samsung did too

SJMSR
SJMSR

Pre order figures for the S8/S8+ pre release suggest otherwise.. Samsung is far from dead. A mate tried to grab a S8 last week from 6 different Optus stores, all out of stock!!

tecksulfur
tecksulfur

I’d rather say that the iPhone is dying…

protodevnan0
protodevnan0

I agree.

robieboris
robieboris

Very fast to launch to the market expensive devices and so slow to obtain an update. Samsung is definitely doing everything possible to scare future buyers. This is my last.

61530041
61530041

i hope next build will inculde treble and new icons maybe

KKTHX
KKTHX

Xiaomi will be my next smartphone.
No more Samsung.

Or221e
Or221e

Me too, I like xiaomi now.

protodevnan0
protodevnan0

I think You’d be even more mad if You had Note8 and no signs of Oreo at all 😂.

But Xiaomi has really good smartphones. I love battery life on Xiaomi phones. 14 hour SOT with heavy usage is so easy to get.

tim54
tim54

You might want to read about the security warnings about Chinese phones first…

vnovomsate
vnovomsate

Unbelievable.

dkonect76
dkonect76

It’s really fun to see Samsung’s “engineers” put on line an update which can not be installed by odin.By chance we can install it without waiting the “great engineers”
The XDA dev’s are more professional without any budjet and they do it totally free.
for samsung once they have paid 900 dollars for the S8, we have no more interest for them …….

Br1cked80
Br1cked80

You can still use Odin. You just have to compress the files to .tar.
Dont blame Samsung, if you dont know how to do it.

vnovomsate
vnovomsate

Hi. How to do it ? I have downloaded firmware…

Yggdra Yuril Artwaltz

The reason Samsung halted the update because of failed OTA update. Some peoples in facebook S8 group (specifically, Malaysia) had an OTA update and it failed halfway. It stuck during an update (bluescreen) forever. If the user force reboot during an update, it will stuck on kernel splash screen but they still can access download mode or recovery mode. Wipe data or cache does not help at all. The only way to unbrick the phone is flash through odin