Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus seen together with soft Home button

The leaks keep coming in and we’re bound to see more in the days leading up to the launch of the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus next month. A leaked image has surfaced online which shows the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus side-by-side and reiterates what we’ve heard so many times in the past, that the Galaxy S8 will have a 5.8-inch display and its bigger sibling will tout a massive 6.2-inch display. We can also see the soft Home button in this image.

It has been reported time and again that Samsung is going to ditch the Home button for the Galaxy S8. Photos leaked recently show that it’s going to have soft buttons instead. Even though it’s going to be a software-based button it will offer similar functionality compared to a physical Home button so that there’s not much of a learning curve for users.

The button will be a part of Always On Display on the Galaxy S8 so it will always remain available. That’s kind of a big deal. We hear that pressing down on it with a bit of pressure is going to wake up the display and that even double tapping the software button is going to launch the camera app much like double pressing the Home button does the same on the Galaxy S7 and other Samsung handsets.

This is obviously going to reduce the learning curve for users who will be picking up a device without a physical Home button for the very first time. It’s small things like this which will make it easier for them to adjust.

galaxy-s8-s8-plus

Phones 51

blasimax
5 months 28 days ago
blasimax

All of us remember the previous news regarding S8 size: 140.1 x 72.2 x 7.3 mm

Do you really think the Smartphone in the picture has this size above? do It seems less high then S6 and S7?? I think no, come on stop with fake photos, by the way we need to wait official confirm

5 months 29 days ago
Damon M

Not really stressed over the home button I came from the HTC M8 to a Galaxy and this solid home button bugs me. I look forward to seeing the S8 in person

seanwhite27
5 months 29 days ago
seanwhite27

Why do all these people moan about not being able to unlock there phones while on a desk. the phone can be set to stay unlocked while either connected to a trusted device eg home or office wifi or smart watch. A call can be answered whether the phone is locked or not. Also is it such a hardship just to pick the thing up. Thats why we have arms and Hands.

YairMi

The phone looks amazing, but i love the physical keys over the ones on the screen, besides i don’t get why do we get such a big screen if part of it will be reserved to this navigation keys, i believe a bigger screen without ditching the physical buttons was best option to go and that way the finger print wouldn’t be affected.

adrscu
5 months 29 days ago
adrscu

You also need to understand that the “physical keys” are also touch keys, not really physical. And another cool feature of the “soft keys” on the screen is that they can be HIDDEN and revealed whenever you want, to be able to use the entire screen

billywongwashere
billywongwashere

I still won’t buy the side if it’s only 4gb ram and if it’s too thick or big. Not a big upgrade from s7

Note5IsBoss
Note5IsBoss

Running out of cash is definitely a personal problem you must come to terms with yourself.

The S8 and S8Plus usher in the wave of Samsung products along with the Note8 and NoteFold in September.

If you can’t pay to play then step to the left without making excuses for yourself.

Millions upon millions will be purchasing the S8 and S8Plus gladly

adrscu
5 months 29 days ago
adrscu

I completely agree. It’s the truth.

billywongwashere
billywongwashere

I m all for the non phiycal button as it’s something that will prone to break. My s7 less than a year old is already having response issues with the home button.

It’s not needed as it was fine on the HTC m series and pixel

stoertebecker
stoertebecker

Nope not for me. Last chance is Note 8

faridra
faridra

Pretty and beautiful, but the problem is the fingerprint scanner is at back of device
im sure Note 8 or S9 will come with Under Glass Fingerprint Sensor announced by Synaptics and all of these normal sensors will be outdated immidiately…
this thing keeps me away from buying S8, other things are pretty good and nice

5 months 29 days ago
Mikel Ward

Rear fingerprint reader is great on Pixel. Why would you want it on the front?

Byamba Self

Amazing design. Easily the best looking phone of 2017.

Mreveryphone
Mreveryphone

All these people complaining must have forgotten about the phones that didn’t have fingerprint scanners… How did you unlock your phone then? Muscle memory will take over once you use the rear scanner after a while, and if the iris scanner is better than the one on the note 7 then this phone will be a absolute beauty and beast!

Greek1977

This kind of design is not useful for our hands, i suppose.

Duarte Mateus

True I prefer a 4,7 phone with huge bezels and with the same body size as this one. I love wasted space.

mattdm
mattdm

I would prefer a 4.7″ phone with tiny bezels.

billywongwashere
billywongwashere

As a new iph7 owner even though it’s a couple mm shorter in width length and felt. On paper it doesn’t sound like much but it feels much better in my hand than my s7.

I m all for decent size screen and comfort in the hand

Though the s7 is a far superior device in terms of usability and camera

Sasmuhd86
Sasmuhd86

I wonder how i manage to reach the fingerprint scanner on S8+. Maybe need to hold phone at the middle.

Byamba Self

I have the S7 Edge, which is similar size as S8+ and I can easily reach the heart rate sensor. In fact, that’s where my finger rests.

Tajuane Daniels

Exactly people act like its a big deal my finger sits right there too

djares21
djares21

wow 🙁 really ugly !!!

India1
India1

Ugly!! and impractical design!

Hate to use the volume rocker. Samsung did that to accommodate another button, i know.

Another problem for people like me, you cannot unlock the phone while its resting on table as you you have to pick it up stretch your finger to get it unlocked.

Iris scanner is not practical when the phone is resting on table or bed either

Byamba Self

Iris scanner is practical when it’s on the table. You just down on your phone. Where did all these front button lovers come from? Apple? We need more pure Android, Nexus and Pixel lovers around here.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

You are joking right, what on earth did you use before the Fingerprint scanning technology.
how ever will you unlock your phone on the desk(!)? picking it up? God no! What century are we living where we have to PICK UP our phone to unlock it and use it!
OH! Wait, we have PIN and pattern unlock as default – No! we cannot use that. its not a fingerprint scanner!
But you can use it to unlock your phone while its on the desk… if that’s not problem solved, the problem is YOU

stondec
stondec

You miss the point – technology shouldn’t devolve but evolve to be more practical and convenient and based on these rumors, Samsung has failed in that respect.

Byamba Self

Google Pixel, rated as best android phone of 2016, has no home button. S8 on the other hand, actually has an always on home button, as well as Iris Scanner, which you can unlock from front. Some people are so irrational and so afraid of change I guess.

fdtf
fdtf

You are right O0MHJ0O. People will always have problems with something. It doesn’t matter what phone brand does what, but there will be some sort of percent of haters.

fdtf
fdtf

That’s actually a nice idea, I like it.

Sulaiman Alsaeed

I like this bit of news. Comforts me to know samsung is being creative in how to approach the lack of physical home button.

Eki79
Eki79

Will it also mimic the physical button, while wearing gloves?
At the moment, it’s -10°C (14°F) outside, so it doesn’t really warm up my feelings to know it works with your finger…

fdtf
fdtf

I can use my GS5 with gloves, so I think it’ll be possible to turn on touch sensitivity on GS8

dan_bremen

We will need a thumb extensor to reach the top of both handsets…Why make the displays soooo big??? 🙁

Byamba Self

Why does everyone hate big displays all of a sudden. Big gorgeous displays are great. You can enjoy gaming, and watching movies much better.

mattdm
mattdm

There are plenty of people who agree with you and love large displays, and there are plenty of people who prefer compact phones. So why are there not both options?

People who want small phones don’t want small phones to be the only option. No one is saying they should stop making phablets. That would be stupid.

adrscu
5 months 29 days ago
adrscu

The Galaxy series never intended to be compact phones. Since the start they were the larger option of the manufacturer. You can’t have a ‘compact’ flagship, it makes no sense. Everything about a flagship has to be big, including specs, size, screensize, etc. That’s why it’s a flagship.

MStuart
MStuart

So they could raise prices.

RA88IT
RA88IT

this is the best news I’ve heard about the s8 yet, I never use the power button to wake up my phone, having a soft button mimic a physical button to be able to wake my phone and launch the camera has got me excited for it again. now if only they would bring back a flat version.

Byamba Self

They’ll never bring back the flat version. The flat version died with the release of Note7.

Sulaiman Alsaeed

Have u played with the note 7? The edge screen on it was very minimal and unimpeading. The curves on the s8 seem less than the note 7 so it should be fine. No need for flat bro.

MStuart
MStuart

Flat is the only thing better than minimal curves.

Byamba Self

I disagree. I’m extremely happy Samsung is sticking to minimal curves. Improves aesthetic by 3 fold, and doesn’t hinder usage. Worth.

emassu
5 months 29 days ago
emassu

Curves are nice but they make the screen much more delicate on side falls. I broke two s7 edge screens like that. And curved tempered glass or plastic screen protectors do not work at all on curves, so you are kind of obligated to use a phone protector/cover, when in flat screens you just through a protective shield and was enough.

mantaka
mantaka

This button place also should have fingerprint scaner and acording where you are change from home button to a finger print button (that would be cool) especially when you are in AOD that button should be fingerprint on if you have locked you fone with one. If it wont be there I will wait for Note 8, despite even if the S8 will be cool as hell 😀

Sulaiman Alsaeed

The technology isnt quite here yet. So ppl who want a big screen can go for s8 and people who want a physical home button on the front with fps then they should stick to s7. Untill next year when they are able to place a scanner under the screen. Fingers crossed.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

So, is this phone going to ship WITH a tempered glass screen protector, because we seem unable to see the device without it in all these “leaks”. It would be a smart move though, because it is literally an all screen phone.

wpDiscuz