Home / News / Verizon’s latest Galaxy S7 update isn’t Oreo, even though the carrier says it is

The North American carrier variants of the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge were recently certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance with Android 8.0 Oreo on-board, suggesting that the anticipated update is right around the corner. However, it looks like Verizon may have jumped the gun and posted details of the Oreo update for the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge a bit too soon. Verizon’s support pages for the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge have been updated with information on a new update that includes the April security patch and, according to the carrier, Android 8.0 Oreo as well.

A false alarm

Only that’s not the case, as S7 and S7 edge owners who have updated to the latest software available from Verizon – build number G930VVRS4BRC3 and G935VVRS4BRC3 – say it’s still Android 7.0 Nougat. This, to be fair, is a worrying development. If Verizon is releasing a minor update with the April 2018 patch here in late April, S7 and S7 edge owners may be in for a few more weeks of waiting. Granted, US carriers aren’t the fastest at bringing new versions of Android to devices so the global Galaxy S7 and S7 edge Oreo update might not take as long, but it’s best to remain skeptical until the update actually starts rolling out.

Verizon’s support pages do offer something useful, thankfully: They mention the major new features Oreo will bring to the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge. The listed features include core Oreo functionality like autofill, notification dots, background limits for unused apps, and picture-in-picture multitasking, along with Samsung Experience 9.0 features such as App Pair, Dual Messenger, high contrast theme for the Samsung keyboard, and a cleaner interface for the Phone app. You can also take a glimpse of Oreo running on the Galaxy S7 in this video that shows an early build of the OS that was accidentally released two months ago.

You can grab the security patch update for your phone by tapping Download updates manually in the Settings Β» Software update menu.

Via Source 1 Source 2

Firmware news 46

afrarootapp
12 days 5 hours ago
afrarootapp

The release date of the Galaxy S7 Edge series g935v?
very thanks

afrarootapp
12 days 17 hours ago
afrarootapp

when samsung galaxy s7 edge sm series g935v can upgrade to oreo

1 month 3 days ago
robinh999

yes wait more for stable release is fine but I think a year is more than exaggerated , just an updated android version , not coding a completely new OS from scratch for every device update, so why does it takes so long?

Aakash1312
1 month 3 days ago
Aakash1312

Is Anyone Facing The Fast Charging Issue after the march security update in India ?

sai121
1 month 3 days ago
sai121

No.Please elaborate.

Aakash1312
1 month 3 days ago
Aakash1312

When I Plug In My Phone Initially It Fast Charges Then After Some Time It Degrades And Charge At Normal Level. And By the end when the battery is about to reach 100% (90s) it again chrges fast. i have tried everything like restarting , no 3rd party apps . genuine out of the box adapter but the problem still continues

mm007
1 month 3 days ago
mm007

I have no problem. It takes about 1 hours and 40 minutes from 1-100. I just received my Phone 2 weeks ago. Coming from Redmi Note 4 the S7 looks lagging to me. The UI is not smooth as Redmi note 4 and the battery i’m getting about 2-3 hours SOT which is really bad compared to Redmi Note 4. Anyone here have similar issue.?

1 month 3 days ago
Rod

won’t buy samsung phone anymore. long live xperia!

1 month 3 days ago
Raphael Nwalozie

Still don’t have oreo update note 8 user here

woody365
1 month 3 days ago
woody365

Dilly Dilly πŸ˜€

Houn6
1 month 4 days ago
Houn6

I’m switching to google Pixel’s phones, don’t have to wait anymore, since a billion years ago the Android Oreo won’t to be installed on the Galaxy S7 Edge, just one question: Why?

Haohan Wendy
1 month 4 days ago
Haohan Wendy

My next phone will not be a samsung phone coz already bored about waiting and waiting..i’m not want to waiting 2020 to get android P πŸ˜€

Maybe i will try Huawei or Xiaomi…

afrarootapp
12 days 17 hours ago
afrarootapp

πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜£

1 month 4 days ago
donrojo

And by the way, Samsung Turkey postponed again Oreo update for S7 from April 27 to May 18. Bugs?!

utvic99
1 month 4 days ago
utvic99

Bugs in their brain, mate.

fcaroll
1 month 4 days ago
fcaroll

Quoting the “in their brain”

filleFreak
1 month 4 days ago
filleFreak

I don’t have problem in waiting for the update but it should be stable. I will be highly disappointed if they do not release android p for S7 because its life has inceased after Note 7 disaster.

ZahraZara
1 month 3 days ago
ZahraZara

The oreo it will be the last update for s7 s7edge

o0MHJ0o
1 month 2 days ago
o0MHJ0o

What about us in the UK, before the Note7 was the Note 4 (we didn’t get the Note 5) and the Note4 didn’t get any special treatment because of it.

utvic99
1 month 4 days ago
utvic99

Verizon responded that they shared the wrong changelog. Yep, definitely a troll.
If they keep doing thi, next year I’ll become an Apple fanboy and not give a f about Samsung. Apple at least cares for 5 years about a device.

Houn6
1 month 4 days ago
Houn6

The Android Oreo seems to be shy to be installed on the Galaxy S7 Edge. Blame Samsung!

VIRGIN KLM
1 month 4 days ago
VIRGIN KLM

That’s a bad troll.

1 month 4 days ago
donrojo

It’s just April Fools Day prank from carrier, thats all.

1 month 5 days ago
kevinhartless

I’ve just updated my s7 g930v to that build number and there no new changes, it’s just an ordinary security patch update.

ds22x
1 month 5 days ago
ds22x

They’re sitting on their asses instead of working on the Oreo update.

MikeEdge
1 month 5 days ago
MikeEdge

Im waiting patiently but I think I came to a conclusion. Even though I like my s7edge, my next phone will probably be the Google pixel.
I don’t think it’s (the updates thing) a problem for most people but it is for those who love tech.

Tokher
1 month 5 days ago
Tokher

You are probably right because of updates people wanted to move to other mobile companies.
But Google pixel is not even closer to Samsung as compared to speed resolution or anything other then updates. So if you are only looking for updates go for pixel.
Cheers mate.

fcaroll
1 month 5 days ago
fcaroll

I think I’ll start laughing at this instead of complaining because well it’s getting ridiculous. I’m also thinking about all the Note7 users who HAD TO switch to S7 so not only they couldn’t keep their phones but also they haven’t received any Oreo update yet, and given how bad touchwiz can get even with such a powerful device, it’s even more ridiculous…

utvic99
1 month 5 days ago
utvic99

I think you could’ve opted for a full refund if you wanted to.
But to the point… I get it why Note FE doesn’t receive Oreo, but S7 which was the best and most popular phone of 2016 excluding Note 7, and even now is a popular choice for those who want good stuff for less money… I’m highly disappointed. Maybe they are being lazy and want to make jokes…

Or maybe they’re convincing us to buy an S9 or something like that. Because it definitely looks like that.

fcaroll
1 month 5 days ago
fcaroll

Unfortunately I don’t have the money to buy a S9 nor I did buy a Note7, anyway I don’t think it’s a good way to convince us because I don’t see why they should treat S9 in the future in a different way than S7 now. I mean, I don’t see Samsung changing (given how big it is) so maybe I would change before them (but personally I chose to wait and I will probably have a custom kernel/ROM installed XD)

shaq1907
1 month 5 days ago
shaq1907

Samsung Turkey has just updated their Orea release date for May 18 πŸ™

utvic99
1 month 5 days ago
utvic99

And then they will update to June 15th and so on… And right when we’re about to receive Oreo, in the last moment Samsung will say: No no, this phone has already exceeded 2-year OS upgrade support, so it will stay on Nougat.
[sarcasm]

Simone25
1 month 4 days ago
Simone25

no sarcasm, but the pure truth what you wrote, the period of software support has expired a month.

ZahraZara
1 month 5 days ago
ZahraZara

Can enyone tell me what does that mean

neotheone
1 month 5 days ago
neotheone

Ok..thats it im out.. it is simply bad for Samsungs image. They are laughing right now with this.. come on what the f…