Android 6.0.1 on Galaxy S6 and S6 edge brings slower, smoother scrolling in apps

Android has become a lot smoother in the last couple of years, but scrolling inside apps is still something that isn’t always as smooth as it should be, especially when compared to iOS. The same is the case on Samsung’s TouchWiz UX, but the Korean giant seems to have made a few changes to scrolling with the Android 6.0.1 beta for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, as scrolling inside apps is now smoother and also a bit slower.

Android’s scrolling might not be as smooth, but it has always been convenient for those who want to scroll through something quickly. iOS, on the other hand, keeps things at a set pace, which might be what helps it keep everything smooth. Samsung seems to have taken a leaf from Apple’s book and reduced the speed of scrolling on Android 6.0.1, though this now affects the speed with which you can flick through a list. It’s a trade-off – you can’t move up and down as quickly as before, but there’s very little chance of any stutter creeping up when you’re scrolling through something.

Check out the video below to see exactly what we mean; this is beta software so Samsung could change things with future updates. Let us know if you like what Samsung has done, or whether you think the company should have left things as they were.

Firmware news 33

amanboss
amanboss

When It Will Available For G925i Indian Version ??

DANN03
DANN03

i like it

swatS
swatS

Its fast with me anyway..well done Sam.

olivierdo
olivierdo

hi i have the update.zip but how to install it in recovery??

MartinF15
MartinF15

Well wait for it!Don’t risk to brick your phone…

MStuart
MStuart

It’s still much faster than on iOS, for those who haven’t actually tried already with the torchs and pitchforks.

MartinF15
MartinF15

I might have been rude in some comments but this is the truth for which I am sorry but why do you hate that samsung took some notes from ios???If samsung stuck on the same old way now people where going to be like ”Ahhh touchwiz is so slow and buggy ahhh samsung you are stupid”But now everything is so nice and awsome and fast!

Phoenix2
Phoenix2

Because some people are still stuck in 2011 when the Galaxy S2 was launched

kukumjacka
kukumjacka

there is no “final update” Things will keep improving steadily as they have done since the dawn of time.

NikosNx
NikosNx

Great change! It does not really mattter if it’s an iOS thing or something as most big players copy each other in such things. What matters is a good product for the consumer and smoother scrolling IS a good change.

sammyboy95
sammyboy95

What’s with all the whiners here? Samsung is actually trying the improve Android’s janky scrolling performance. Something that Googles hasn’t even completely fixed on Nexus devices. I swear, some of you just complain for no other reason than to complain.

alireza7228
alireza7228

Near 7 introduced the Galaxy S and Galaxy S 6 update for Android 6 is not yet [ in Iran ]

evrisk
evrisk
If you want to pay ugly phones made of plastic with band aid backs at a premium prices feel free to do it. I bought an S6 edge+ because of its design and build materials. If I’m to pay premium then I want premium as well. Samsung did right with the design. As for the removable battery and SD cards maybe SD cards will return. iPhones and Apple still sell like hot cakes. All Android companies taking cues from Apple. Scrolling feels clunky on the S6 and other Androids phones. Can’t see anything wrong with the decision to improve it.… Read more »
MartinF15
MartinF15

Finally a smart person.Same here with the S6.

adam.kirby5
adam.kirby5
Sorry to disagree, but I own a good few phones, and in the list of phones I own lies the iPhone 6S Plus (as well as the Galaxy S6 which are my two main phones). The scrolling within apps is not ALL down to the performance of the phone and underlying software. The developers are mostly to blame for bad scrolling performance. On both Android and iOS, I have experienced apps that have really poor scrolling performance. My preference for scrolling is mostly towards Android. Why? Because it is so much nicer. Your flick scrolls so much quicker and so… Read more »
schiffer_480
schiffer_480

Lol. You know little about how scrolling works don’t you? You don’t even know there IS a benchmark for scrolling (through web pages, that is).

adam.kirby5
adam.kirby5
Well, if you’re an expert, please explain where I have gone wrong. Please explain to me how a software feature (scrolling) is in some way only related to hardware capability. I have never claimed to know everything, nor do I pretend, however I am certainly interested in what you will have to say about scrolling being correlated only to the capabilities of the underlying hardware. I’m so interested in your response as to why my iPhone 6S Plus cannot scroll through Google Play Music without stuttering like a nervous child with a tremor when it is only related to the… Read more »
schiffer_480
schiffer_480
Lol. Nor did I. I may have not know everything but I think the article pointed it out. It depends (heavily) on the kernel side other than the apps (unless the app was really badly coded), since in my opinion there should’ve been a guideline to write *at least* standard good app for certain OS. I also played several months now tweaking the kernel to achieve the best scrolling experience. As for why your GPM in your iPhone isn’t as smooth as in your Android, my best guess would be either GPM is poorly coded for iPhone (intentional or not,… Read more »
adam.kirby5
adam.kirby5

Okay, so having initially mocked my comment you then repeat exactly what my comment said… Come on, do people just do this for attention? And just to reiterate what I said, I said that it is not ALL to do with the underlying software or hardware, the blame is also on the developers. You then repeated my exact words. Please save my time and in fact, everyone’s time.

ionutdicu
ionutdicu

When is this BETA program going to end? And when is the Edge Plus going to receive the final update? LG and even Sony are far ahead, it’s an emberassment!

MartinF15