Android 6.0.1 on Galaxy S6 and S6 edge brings slower, smoother scrolling in apps

Android has become a lot smoother in the last couple of years, but scrolling inside apps is still something that isn’t always as smooth as it should be, especially when compared to iOS. The same is the case on Samsung’s TouchWiz UX, but the Korean giant seems to have made a few changes to scrolling with the Android 6.0.1 beta for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, as scrolling inside apps is now smoother and also a bit slower.

Android’s scrolling might not be as smooth, but it has always been convenient for those who want to scroll through something quickly. iOS, on the other hand, keeps things at a set pace, which might be what helps it keep everything smooth. Samsung seems to have taken a leaf from Apple’s book and reduced the speed of scrolling on Android 6.0.1, though this now affects the speed with which you can flick through a list. It’s a trade-off – you can’t move up and down as quickly as before, but there’s very little chance of any stutter creeping up when you’re scrolling through something.

Check out the video below to see exactly what we mean; this is beta software so Samsung could change things with future updates. Let us know if you like what Samsung has done, or whether you think the company should have left things as they were.

Firmware news 33

amanboss
1 year 3 months ago

When It Will Available For G925i Indian Version ??

DANN03

i like it

swatS
1 year 3 months ago

Its fast with me anyway..well done Sam.

olivierdo
1 year 3 months ago

hi i have the update.zip but how to install it in recovery??

MartinF15
1 year 3 months ago

Well wait for it!Don’t risk to brick your phone…

MStuart
1 year 3 months ago

It’s still much faster than on iOS, for those who haven’t actually tried already with the torchs and pitchforks.

MartinF15
1 year 3 months ago

I might have been rude in some comments but this is the truth for which I am sorry but why do you hate that samsung took some notes from ios???If samsung stuck on the same old way now people where going to be like ”Ahhh touchwiz is so slow and buggy ahhh samsung you are stupid”But now everything is so nice and awsome and fast!

Phoenix2

Because some people are still stuck in 2011 when the Galaxy S2 was launched

kukumjacka
1 year 3 months ago

there is no “final update” Things will keep improving steadily as they have done since the dawn of time.

NikosNx
1 year 3 months ago

Great change! It does not really mattter if it’s an iOS thing or something as most big players copy each other in such things. What matters is a good product for the consumer and smoother scrolling IS a good change.

sammyboy95
1 year 3 months ago

What’s with all the whiners here? Samsung is actually trying the improve Android’s janky scrolling performance. Something that Googles hasn’t even completely fixed on Nexus devices. I swear, some of you just complain for no other reason than to complain.

alireza7228
1 year 3 months ago

Near 7 introduced the Galaxy S and Galaxy S 6 update for Android 6 is not yet [ in Iran ]

evrisk
1 year 3 months ago

If you want to pay ugly phones made of plastic with band aid backs at a premium prices feel free to do it. I bought an S6 edge+ because of its design and build materials. If I’m to pay premium then I want premium as well. Samsung did right with the design. As for the removable battery and SD cards maybe SD cards will return. iPhones and Apple still sell like hot cakes. All Android companies taking cues from Apple. Scrolling feels clunky on the S6 and other Androids phones. Can’t see anything wrong with the decision to improve it. So stop crying and go buy another phone if you don’t like it.

MartinF15
1 year 3 months ago

Finally a smart person.Same here with the S6.

adam.kirby5
1 year 3 months ago

Sorry to disagree, but I own a good few phones, and in the list of phones I own lies the iPhone 6S Plus (as well as the Galaxy S6 which are my two main phones). The scrolling within apps is not ALL down to the performance of the phone and underlying software. The developers are mostly to blame for bad scrolling performance. On both Android and iOS, I have experienced apps that have really poor scrolling performance.

My preference for scrolling is mostly towards Android. Why? Because it is so much nicer. Your flick scrolls so much quicker and so much further. It’s just nicer… for me anyway. And whilst some apps, such as Google Play Store, have very stuttery scrolling, I find that Google Play Music for Android, messaging apps such as WhatsApp and the SMS messaging app and whatever else is nice, smooth, fast and just better than iOS in every way.

Going back to the developers point… GPM (Google Play Music) for Android scrolls really well and is fast, smooth and all of the other good stuff. However, GPM for iOS is really stuttery and poor and really puts me off. We’re sort of at the point where performance isn’t the issue. All modern CPUs can handle fast scrolling. I don’t ever see scrolling within apps a benchmark test point (I have actually seen long list scrolling on Windows as a test point, so I’m not ignoring it).

schiffer_480
1 year 3 months ago

Lol. You know little about how scrolling works don’t you? You don’t even know there IS a benchmark for scrolling (through web pages, that is).

adam.kirby5
1 year 3 months ago

Well, if you’re an expert, please explain where I have gone wrong. Please explain to me how a software feature (scrolling) is in some way only related to hardware capability. I have never claimed to know everything, nor do I pretend, however I am certainly interested in what you will have to say about scrolling being correlated only to the capabilities of the underlying hardware.

I’m so interested in your response as to why my iPhone 6S Plus cannot scroll through Google Play Music without stuttering like a nervous child with a tremor when it is only related to the hardware from your view.

When I have used AntuTu, Geekbench, 3D Mark or Quadrant to test the capabilities of the CPU and GPU in question, I haven’t ever seen scrolling as a test point. I may have just missed it because it wasn’t relevant and I wasn’t actually looking for it. I just said I have never seen it whilst testing. I don’t regularly test, in fact, I haven’t tested a phone in years, so it might have changed.

I turned off notifications to this thread as it was irritating having an email every 5 seconds. I’ll see how it goes with it turned on again.

schiffer_480
1 year 3 months ago

Lol. Nor did I. I may have not know everything but I think the article pointed it out. It depends (heavily) on the kernel side other than the apps (unless the app was really badly coded), since in my opinion there should’ve been a guideline to write *at least* standard good app for certain OS. I also played several months now tweaking the kernel to achieve the best scrolling experience. As for why your GPM in your iPhone isn’t as smooth as in your Android, my best guess would be either GPM is poorly coded for iPhone (intentional or not, and you should test other iPhones), or (I know it’s really really silly) it’s intentional for Apple to make it that way since they have the Apple Music. I know for sure Apple optimizes every apps on iPhone so that possibility shouldn’t be left out.

As for the benchmark, PC Mark is the name (I think it’s the same as 3D Mark you mentioned, not sure tho). I’m sorry I’ve been meaning to do inappropriate thing

adam.kirby5
1 year 3 months ago

Okay, so having initially mocked my comment you then repeat exactly what my comment said… Come on, do people just do this for attention? And just to reiterate what I said, I said that it is not ALL to do with the underlying software or hardware, the blame is also on the developers. You then repeated my exact words. Please save my time and in fact, everyone’s time.

ionutdicu
1 year 3 months ago

When is this BETA program going to end? And when is the Edge Plus going to receive the final update? LG and even Sony are far ahead, it’s an emberassment!

MartinF15