Samsung to decide on the Galaxy Note 9 in-display fingerprint sensor soon

Home / News / Samsung to decide on the Galaxy Note 9 in-display fingerprint sensor soon

It has long been rumored that Samsung will introduce a display-based fingerprint sensor on its flagship smartphones but the company is yet to do that. There have been conflicting reports recently about the possibility that this feature might make it to the Galaxy Note 9. A new report out of South Korea today claims that Samsung is going to make a final decision on the in-display fingerprint sensor for the Galaxy Note 9 soon.

The report claims that Samsung is likely to introduce an in-display fingerprint sensor with the Galaxy Note 9 this year. Samsung Display, the division that supplies panels for Samsung devices, has reportedly prepared three or four solutions to integrate a fingerprint sensor into the display.

Galaxy Note 9 in-display fingerprint sensor

Both Samsung Display and Samsung Electronics are said to be “seriously considering” one of the solutions developed. It’s also claimed that the design concept of the Galaxy Note 9 has not yet been finalized due to the pending decision concerning the fingerprint sensor. Samsung is expected to make a final decision on the matter by the end of this month.

Some industry watchers are optimistic that Samsung will finally introduce an in-display fingerprint sensor on its smartphones this year as the company seeks to offer new features in order to further differentiate its handsets from the competition. Others are not so optimistic, they believe that technical difficulties will prevent Samsung from doing this for the Galaxy Note 9 and that we’ll only see this technology from Samsung in 2019.

It merits mentioning here, though, that Samsung recently said that it’s no longer obsessed with being the first in the world to bring new smartphone technologies to market. This means that the company will rather wait to ensure that its in-display fingerprint sensor technology works perfectly instead of rushing it out the door just for bragging rights.

We’ll likely hear more about this in the months to come as this is one of the most highly anticipated features of the Galaxy Note 9. Samsung isn’t due to launch the Galaxy Note 9 until the second half of this year even though it has begun firmware development for the new flagship earlier.

Source

Phones 31

Galaxy Notice
23 days 41 minutes ago
Galaxy Notice

The in display fingerprint tech is just moving backwards. I like it on the back to PREVENT smudges on my screen and now tech companies want to put it back on the front screen? That’s exactly why I use my Spen to navigate through my phone.

gsdworld21
26 days 15 hours ago
gsdworld21

Think it’ll be good if they manage to do it. I use the Note8 and to be honest it’s the best I could want in a phone. Next upgrade will be the Note 10 or whatever it’ll be called. Can’t really see the point in upgrading after a year for minor upgrades or just so I can tell people I’ve got the latest phone.

JPSMR94
28 days 4 hours ago
JPSMR94

In-display FPS = no more screen protectors, no?

JSH1973
28 days 12 hours ago
JSH1973

just ditch fps altogether and stick with iris/face/pin and use the space for slightly larger battery instead and 6.5” true bezel less display please

Bobbingalong
28 days 6 hours ago
Bobbingalong

Ditch the pen and you can have a bigger battery… Oh wait then it will be the s9+ but sold at £1000

Bobbingalong
28 days 17 hours ago
Bobbingalong

Well tbh I m not sure what other exciting features the note 9 will get if not FPS under the screen.

Samsung will simply modify it slightly from the s9+ and give it a pen.

It’s all about making profit

Biransahin
28 days 18 hours ago
Biransahin

Even if it does come to Note9, I won’t use it. I’m OCD about fingerprints on my screen and always use the sPen! I’ll stick with keeping my phone unlocked with my Gear S3. But it will be nice to see for those with S10 or prefer fingers! I wouldn’t put too much credence into this story yet. Smells of the usual click bait that comes out of South Korea. The decision will most likely be reported as no, as they’re probably not even considering it. We’ll see.

kloony11
29 days 6 hours ago
kloony11

I hope this is true, but I don’t think it will happen this year…
They’ll probably just move it below the camera like the S9…
I switched to Iris scanning and pin entry as well as Smart Lock for trusted places so I don’t have to use it…
Still doesn’t beat the speed and reliability of the Note 5 scanner.

colliderz
29 days 6 hours ago
colliderz

Don’t get your hopes high. The decision is NO.

stondec
29 days 11 hours ago
stondec

If they introduce the in-display fingerprint scanner, they’d better make sure it works faster and more reliably that the back mounted fingerprint scanner they have on the Note 8.

Osensnolf
29 days 10 hours ago
Osensnolf

I sure hope so. The Note 8 sensor (for me) is a pain.

fcaroll
29 days 11 hours ago
fcaroll

They’re not just no more interested in being the first to introduce new technologies, they’re getting rid of them as the only “innovative” features they kept from the past are Smart Stay, always on display, S pen and maybe some others. No more even Smart Rotation or a good design with removable battery. They just want to beat Apple at its own game rather than outstanding from the crowd

Shimy
29 days 12 hours ago
Shimy
I’d be surprised if they”ll do it. Ever since the Note5 Samsung has been treating the Note series as a sub flagship. This means that dramatic changes are kept to the S series. If they were willing to change design from S to Note they would have changed the ridiculous finger print sensor location from the S8 to the Note8. I think it has been fairly obvious that this is their policy since the Note5 and it’s weird that every year people fantasize about the new Note like we can’t predict pretty accurately what it’s going to be like, based… Read more »