After Galaxy S9, Samsung no longer obsessed with ‘being the world’s first’

Home / News / After Galaxy S9, Samsung no longer obsessed with ‘being the world’s first’

Smartphone manufacturers liberally throw around buzzwords like “world’s first” in their press releases to create hype for their phones. Samsung is one of those manufacturers even though it has introduced some genuine world-firsts with its flagship devices. However, the company is changing its strategy after the Galaxy S9 to developing more meaningful products instead of chasing after buzzwords.

Samsung’s mobile division boss DJ Koh mentioned during a press conference with Korean reporters in Barcelona that Samsung is changing its strategy after the Galaxy S9. He said that the company had been obsessed with being the first to bring new technology to market but that’s going to change in favor of developing more meaningful products.

Samsung wants to launch more meaningful products

Koh’s comments were in response to questions from reporters about Samsung’s roadmap for hardware innovation compared to its Chinese rivals who have already brought in-display fingerprint sensors and foldable smartphones to market. Samsung has long been rumored to be working on both but hasn’t launched them as yet.

“We developed mobile phones earlier than Chinese firms, and we were obsessed with being the world’s first and industry’s first, rather than thinking about how this innovation could be meaningful to consumers,” he said, adding that being first is no longer important today. Samsung’s strategy now will be to launch something that consumers find to be meaningful and valuable at the right time.

This basically means that Samsung will not launch devices with new technologies just for the sake of being the first to market. If that were the case we would have probably seen its in-display fingerprint sensor and foldable smartphone by now. The company will wait instead and only launch devices with such new technologies when they’re fully ready for the market.

Koh reiterated this strategy when asked about Samsung’s Bixby Speaker. He said that the company will only launch its AI-powered smart speaker “when it’s ready with top-notch quality.” Koh also said yesterday that Samsung’s Bixby Speaker will likely be launched in the second half of this year.

What do you think about Samsung’s new strategy? Should the company perfect new technologies before it brings them to market or participate in the race to be the first with Chinese rivals who don’t seem to be in a mood to slow down? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Via

Phones 19

Julio Graziano

It has to be meaningful and it has to create brand value for it + software meaningful experience. I love my S8 though.

Bobbingalong
Bobbingalong
Justification to keep specs behind the curve but at sky high prices? So the S10 will have 4gb ram and single lens camera too but they will clever marketing to say “we made this for people and stakeholders to increase profits margin” 🙂 Or other reason is to hold back tech so that they can only incrementally release them when they run out of true ideas to make a phone great. Fully agree about them holding back on release unwanted crap that doesn’t work or is needed in the world… Bixby, Samsung pay, s voice, s translate these are a… Read more »
HueMann
HueMann

Samsung Pay unwanted by you maybe! I use for every payment I make! I use my Gear S3 for all of those payments and even after nearly a year of using Samsung Pay I still I find cashiers who marvel at the technology.

Galaxy Notice
Galaxy Notice

All I can say is FINALLY! They have been so obsessed with introducing technology first that usually it’s half baked and not ready ie Bixby and Ar Emoji. I love Bixby, it’s a lot better now than when it came out but Ar Emoji, while a great concept, may still need some more work. Apple does this as well. They wait until the tech is top notch before releasing it.

mma173
mma173

Well, IR Blaster is more meaningful compared to the IR Scanner.

zorro009
zorro009

I miss my IR blaster on my previous S6 Edge .. it was really excellent feature for me

ironbat
ironbat

Good move

raulillo88
raulillo88

Maybe, and I hope, this change of mind means less new launches and more major upgrades for ex flagships.
If Samsung would give 3 major updates it will be the best way to fidelize clients.

Abhijeet
Abhijeet

They’ve already been following this ideology I think in some ways (like not putting out a phone with an iPhone X-like bezel-less screen just for the heck of making it actually all-screen), but good to see it’s going to be a proper thing from now on.

locarno
locarno

Who released first bezelless smartphone ?

murtaxarzv
murtaxarzv

thats good….consumer will automatically choose you when you give most qualitative products in future and do not make any lame argue

Shenoysiddhant
Shenoysiddhant

Wish the felt the same about software updates

VIRGIN KLM
VIRGIN KLM

A step on the right direction if it means they don’t try to copy or answer everything iPhone related anymore too .

mobilephil
mobilephil

Oh and I suppose apple has never coped anyone have they !

VIRGIN KLM
VIRGIN KLM

They do but it’s frustrating when a company tries to be another. I don’t want Apple products, I want Samsung products. Some goes the other way around.

superf
superf

That’s because they can’t be the best anymore. They were for almost a decade.

mobilephil
mobilephil

Are you wired up right?

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

Hopefully this means a big part of Bixby 2.0 is more languages supported. and the next Galaxy will bring better battery life