The Galaxy S8 lets you disable the app drawer and put all apps on the home screen

The Galaxy S8 runs Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box, and at first glance, the user interface looks very similar to the one on other Samsung devices that have been updated to Nougat. But the Galaxy S8 also introduces a few new features and changes to how things work, and one of these has to do with the home screen. On the Galaxy S8 (and S8+), Samsung has added the option to disable the app drawer and put all apps on the home screen.

This was first introduced as an experimental feature on the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, and Samsung has now made it a mainstream feature. On the Galaxy S8, the home screen settings let you choose between having both home and app screens or simply a home screen. In the case of the latter, all apps get placed on the home screen itself, and any widgets that you might wish to add will be added to the last home screen pane. Naturally, you can also rearrange widgets by long pressing them and bringing them over to where you want to place them.

SAMSUNG CSC

Those who want a separate app drawer also have two options to play with on the Galaxy S8. By default, there is no dedicated Apps button and the app drawer is accessed by swiping up on the home screen; this is how the app drawer works on stock Android 7.0 Nougat. Don’t like this way of accessing your apps? You can simply head into the home screen settings and turn on that Apps button. Other options in home screen settings include changing the grid size (for both the home screen icons and the app drawer icons), hiding apps, and customizing Bixby.

As the days go by, we will likely be coming across a lot of new stuff, and we’ll be sure to let you know of anything notable that we discover on Samsung’s newest flagships.

S8-app-drawer

Phones 17

viorelianasi
27 days 15 minutes ago

Wow! I’m actually glad that you can bring back the “app button” on the right… I thought that you cannot have it and you must to swipe up for all apps… Great!

sokolibrahimi
27 days 1 hour ago

This option is also on Galaxy S7 and S7 edge

Gregg1100
27 days 2 hours ago

Has anyone found out if bixby can be disabled or knocked off ???

billywongwashere
27 days 1 hour ago

You can’t disable the app on the model I’ve played with. Onky disable the swipe right

Gregg1100
26 days 19 hours ago

Ah well. I will not bother with the S8 then. I never use any so called assistants- can’t see any point. The S8 looks great, but too expensive.
I expect the Note 8 will have it as well, so will probably get a OnePlus 5.

Gregg1100
27 days 2 hours ago

Why would anyone want their Android phone to look like a crapple one, with apps on every page ?? Yuk
My Note 4 homepage is different to anyone elses- thats why I like Android

billywongwashere
27 days 2 hours ago

They should let you disable bixby instead

cool_besoil
27 days 6 hours ago

Hi Abhijeet, I think a Rundown of Galaxy S6 line’s battery performance including its charge holding capacities after 24 months of launch, would be a great help to many S6 owners, to decide between buying S8 or getting their existing S6 Batteries replaced provided it will include a comparison about should obne upgrade their S6 with S8.

o0MHJ0o
27 days 6 hours ago

But the S8s don’t have an app drawer icon anymore, its a swipe gesture, the S8s are in store now and I’ve looked through it myself, there isn’t an app drawer icon. so this setting must be about showing or hiding the app icon, and not removing the app drawer completely.

mattia231
27 days 6 hours ago

The S8 have the app icon. But you can decide if it is the gesture to swipe up or down. Or like on every other smartphone.

benlol98
27 days 6 hours ago

There is. You need to enable it manually. Go Home Screen Settings, Apps button, Show Apps button. Once enabled, both swiping and tapping on the icon will show the app drawer.

conradorp
27 days 7 hours ago

As far as I understand, it is not what it is. Looking at this picture, and considering what we already saw in some hands-on reviews, it appears that it gives two options:
- To show Apps button, and then it will work like any other Samsung launcher.
- To hide Apps button, and access the apps drawer by sliding up in the screen like the Pixel Launcher.

But of course I can be wrong…

bonq07
27 days 7 hours ago

I can do it on my S7 with Nougat. Press longer on the screen, choose settings and second position in menu that appeard lets you see all apps on the homescreen.

mattia231
27 days 3 hours ago

o0MHJ0o
27 days 6 hours ago

Bixby, Iris scanner, Display – higher resolution and HDR premium display, Faster 10nm processing, larger internal storage (64GB), and better camera image processing. They’re more reasons than just the display, but if I had the S7 edge – I probably would not upgrade either. However coming from the S6 edge+, my S8+ has been pre ordered! lol

Reeneman