Unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge finally get March security update in US but that’s not enough

Samsung has taken a lot of flak from unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge owners in the United States. Despite the fact that factory unlocked devices normally receive updates sooner than their carrier-locked counterparts, the unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge last received an update in the US back in December.

Samsung released Android 7.0 Nougat for last year’s flagships and carriers in the country have rolled it out yet Nougat still eludes the unlocked version in the US. You can understand why customers are not feeling happy about this.

The company apologized for the delay a couple of weeks ago which it chalked up as the consequence of “various circumstances.” It committed to sending out monthly security updates for unlocked devices in a timely fashion. It has now followed through. Both the unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge are now receiving an over-the-air firmware update in the United States which brings the March security patch.

Firmware versions G930UUES4AQC1 and G935UUES4AQC1 have been rolled out for these handsets respectively. The files are now available for download via our firmware section for the unlocked Galaxy S7 SM-G930U and the Galaxy S7 edge SM-G935U.

It’s a step in the right direction but it’s not enough. Now that devices like the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Note 5 are being updated to Nougat, it’s due time that Samsung roll out Android 7.0 Nougat for unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge in the United States.

It hasn’t even confirmed when it’s going to do that and that’s not fair at all to those customers.

Firmware news 31

tnmurdock
3 days 18 hours ago

I can’t speak for all…but Samsung will NEVER get another dime of my money…. Still no Nougat….and everyone else has it? Locked bootloader? Junk! When I buy my next phone I will probably smash this one…and post on the tube! And if someone could direct me how to flash verizon’s nougat…I would appreciate it or PM me either way

Misael710
11 days 15 hours ago

4 months and 2 weeks in to 2017 and still no nougat for unlocked galaxy s7′s. Meanwhile some people have nougat on their galaxy s6′s or some people have Android “O”. I really don’t want to switch to Apple after being with Samsung for 4 years, and I know Apple sends out very smooth updates and at the same time software updates on the iPhone 5′s and up are Still receiving updates meanwhile Samsung only gives us updates to the 2 precious phones and it’s takes months.

magaiver
15 days 1 hour ago

unfortunate, Google pixel always in front

zeuskhan97
24 days 6 hours ago

Hello everyone.
I was using 7.0 Nougat official firmware QAA after the update of QC1 the sim network is gone and it is searching for network. Network is gone. Sim is useless . I was using Gsm sim on Sprint. Now network is gone. Any help ???

SinvalPinheiro
28 days 22 hours ago

Where is update to Brazil samsung???

Danny muamba
29 days 1 hour ago

My unlocked Samsung s7edge still waiting for a nougat update in the US …samsung doesn’t even tell us when they’re going to start rolling out…i have spent 800$ for this phone…really disappointed!!!

airguard
29 days 4 hours ago

After reading this and other posts on the update history, I wonder if Samsung really cares or just miss how bad this is for us who care about security and having a updated OS on our phones. We are willing too pay alot for a good phone (and S7 is) but it lack seriousy on sofware updates vs Sony,Huawei, lg etc..
I just sold my S7 Edge 8months old for 350€ and bougth a Huawei mate pro 128gb 4 months old for 350€. After 2weeks I am impressed over how much Huawei done with this phone. Nougat 7 and security patch dater 1 march. Gonna stick whit this one next months and follow samsungs update policy here before I even think of bying a S8.
(And the battery last way longer on the Huawei 4000 mAh.)

asgharkhall
29 days 7 hours ago

S7 edge uk BTU on January security patch…i think sumsung sleeping

Wander Guzman
29 days 8 hours ago

Sorry Samsung after this fiasco I just say NO MORE, you sell phones as a big company but threat updates as a small one. So seeee Yaaa you can be the best in hardware but sucks in software

Freddymien
29 days 9 hours ago

In Belgium s7 edge unbranded security pad 1 DECEMBER 2016!!!!!!!!
no Nougat 7.0 Update service Samsung is a disaster. pay 800€ april 2016
samsung call this flagship

johnpetrol
29 days 9 hours ago

Belgium unbranded s7 phones have Luxembourg CSC. It was the same with s3, updates always 4 or 5 months later then the rest of the world. I flashed the Netherlands Rom on it, done waiting…

Also. I hate the new interface. How can you be so inconsistent with fonts in the ui. Are ppl blind to this or am I just OCD?

StarKnight
29 days 14 hours ago

I live in Italy an the last patch form my S7 is dated January… if Samsung is unable to take care of its customers, not even for its flagship products, maybe Huawei or another competitor will…

gsdworld21
29 days 20 hours ago

UK S7 edge BTU still on January. Can’t understand why

o0MHJ0o
29 days 5 hours ago

Just flash it randomly or connect it to Smart Switch on the desktop, because there have been 2 firmware updates with 7.0 for the BTU S7 Edge in the UK, you definitely should have received it by now.

Outlaw79
29 days 23 hours ago

In Portugal the carrier “MEO ” still dosen’t release the update to!!!!!! Why??? Vodafone and unlocked devices already have 7.0.nougat and my stupid carrier still on marshmallow. Galaxy s7 edge.

cerioni fabio
29 days 23 hours ago

Italia…Gennaio……Samsung..non prifessionale..
ADDIO

Atoqir
29 days 23 hours ago

Weird. I am Belgium too and I even got Nougat on my Galaxy S6. So did my colleague. Telenet but unlocked model.

The new UI is awesome.

ionutdicu
29 days 10 hours ago

not so weird; us versions have snapdragon chip, european versions have exynos

assassin2se7en
30 days 30 minutes ago

Nougat .. with feb security patch . Not happy
Iraq

mtbrown262626
30 days 57 minutes ago

Good now it’s time to do the UK as we’re still on January ridiculous

Miguel Naranjo Peralta
30 days 1 hour ago

I have the Olympic Edition Galaxy S7 edge 935U US model, and every day I keep my fingers crossed hoping for an Android 7.0 firmware update.

Lambros Xourafis
30 days 1 hour ago

If international (unlocked) model should get the update sooner, why isn’t it available for me when under firmwares tab it shows that it has been loaded in my country? Are international versions maybe not linked to the country purchased? So mine could be some other region?
I thought all international versions were treated equally and only the ones linked to a carrier had specific limitations. What can I say…

Lambros Xourafis
30 days 1 hour ago

My mother’s Galaxy A5 2016 released Marshmallow update probably today. Haven’t seen it a few days back. Very smooth release. Took only a year.

ayushjha
30 days 1 hour ago

Did anyone else notice that the Marshmallow rollout was much, much smoother and organized than this?

Lambros Xourafis
30 days 1 hour ago

I have unlocked S7 Edge in South Africa. STILL ON DECEMBER PATCH AND NO NOUGAT.
NOT HAPPY!!!

marcel2803
29 days 11 hours ago

It is available on MTN. Check if you have multi csc firmware. Then you can update.

breezerke
30 days 1 hour ago

Same shit in belgium. It’s a disaster samsung

WiesVH
30 days 57 minutes ago

I live in Belgium and got the Nougat update for my unlocked S7 Edge a couple of weeks ago. Do you have a carrier-device?

Slimbaguette
30 days 1 hour ago

waiting for SM-G928V

MStuart
30 days 1 hour ago

Premium prices, bottom of the barrel support.

breezerke
30 days 1 hour ago

Congrats, in belgium unbranded endless waiting to 7.0…. Update service Samsung is a disaster.