Samsung may not release a flat screen model of the Galaxy S8

Earlier today, a report surfaced online suggesting that Samsung may not release a flat screen variant of the much-anticipated Galaxy S8 when it hits the shelves in the first half of 2017. Instead, it’s a possibility that the firm will follow the same path it took for the Galaxy Note 7 by only launching a edge panel model.

It’s believed that substandard sales of the regular Galaxy S7 are amongst the factors that are encouraging Samsung to make this decision. It’s a move that makes sense, though, as the manufacturer has been using the curved panel to build a new brand identity for a while now — and it’s finally paying off.

Samsung adopted its first curved screen for the Galaxy S6 edge. Unfortunately, it wasn’t prepared for just how the high demand would be and was unable to fulfil the hefty amount of orders it had received due to supply constraints. The company has since tweaked the manufacturing process to make it significantly more efficient.

Source

Phones 14

ahmedbest
11 months 8 days ago
ahmedbest

i hate a Curved (Edge) screen

billywongwashere
11 months 9 days ago
billywongwashere

I m really happy with my s8 flat version and would only upgrade if they make a 5.1 version with base memory of 64gb.

As for edge, having owned the s6 &7 flat and seeing how pretty the note 7 is with its less curved screen. I would be happy with the curved screen with 64gb base, exynos, better camera, smaller and thinner frame with bigger battery.

They should get rid of the glass back though

NathanArc
11 months 10 days ago
NathanArc

I’m 50/50. I didn’t mind the edge on the Note7 but hated the edge on the S7 Edge. As long as I can have a 5.1″ option I’m happy. I moved away from the note solely because I wanted a smaller phone. Samsung needs to not turn the S and the Note into slight variations of each other.

S6Edge
11 months 9 days ago
S6Edge

Seems like all of us have different opinions, wants and needs. I prefer the 5.5″ screen on the S7Edge that I’m using right now to the 5.1″ on the S6Edge (irony bcz of my username, but yeah).

S6Edge
11 months 10 days ago
S6Edge

I’m having an S7Edge rn, gonna upgrade to S9 in 2018… I don’t mind not having a flat version of it but hopefully the screen size is at least 5.5 inch just like the S7edge.

S6Edge
11 months 10 days ago
S6Edge

If not then i may be switching to the Note series… actually I’ve been thinking about it and I’m still not sure which is better… S or Note…

MStuart
11 months 10 days ago
MStuart

That’d be even worse than getting rid of the headphone port.

iamnigeloke
11 months 10 days ago
iamnigeloke

If that’s the case, I may not upgrade from my S6 (not to mention USB-C being implemented and I only have the Gear VR CV1) unless Samsung offers a free Gear VR CV2… from my short experience playing games on the S6 Edge+, I may not adapt to gaming on Edge phones (e.g. Hearthstone, Vainglory). Best of all, when Nougat comes to my S6, gaming still won’t take a hitch because of Vulkan.

wlting
11 months 10 days ago
wlting

Edge screen look sexy, but its not practical to use and just give a lot trouble to use especially screen protector and accidently touch edge panel….
its heart break if no flat flagship phone from Samsung, you really don’t care me this customer?

SenorSjon
11 months 10 days ago
SenorSjon
“Instead, it’s a possibility that the firm will follow the same path it took for the Galaxy Note 7 by only launching a flat panel model.” I think you mean edge panel. But the ‘slump’ of the S7 is easy to explain, yet a mystery to Samsung it seems. 5.1″ vs 5.5″ screen. Even though you have edges, the flat estate is still bigger. In European markets, it was the successor to the Note 4 or S6Edge+ (who tanked due to no SD, price, the works). 3.000 vs 3.600 mAh battery. It is sealed in the phone, but 20% larger.… Read more »
Ionut Ciprian
11 months 10 days ago
Ionut Ciprian

So far i have avoided the edge 3 times: on my Note 4, S6 and S7.
I see no reason for a flat screen to be discontinued.

ShivamChatak
11 months 10 days ago
ShivamChatak

I was gonna upgrade from my flat galaxy S6 to S8. I juat don’t like the edge screen models. Well if that’s the case , I’m gonna go for either Nexus or iPhone. iPhone 7 looks promising

Issyman
11 months 10 days ago
Issyman

It may make sense to ditch the flat screen and keep the curved display, due to substandard sales of the S7. I personally don’t like the curved display. If Samsung continues with curved only screens, it’s goodbye sammy.

wpDiscuz