In an almost landmark move, Samsung today started testing the next version of Android through a public beta program. Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge users in the UK are currently getting the chance to test out Android 6.0 Marshmallow on their device, with a beta build rolling out already.
If you’re in the UK and own any of the two devices, then you can get in on the action right away (do note that it is up to Samsung to accept your request for the beta). If you are confused, just follow our guide below to find out how you can participate and start using Android Marshmallow on your Galaxy S6 or S6 edge today!
Disclaimer: Unless you’re using a locally bought Galaxy S6 or S6 edge in the UK, keep in mind that following the instructions below is something you do at your own risk. Don’t blame us (or Samsung) if anything goes wrong!
- First, make sure your phone’s model number is SM-G920F or SM-G925F. Check this in the Settings » About device menu. Also make sure you’re using an unlocked version of the phone.
- Then, check if your phone’s current firmware has the BTU product code. To do so, download the SamMobile Device Info app from the Play Store, open it, swipe to the Firmware tab, then check out the Product Code. The Product Code should have BTU mentioned after the phone’s model number.
- If it’s BTU, download the Galaxy Care app from the Galaxy Apps store on your phone (or grab the APK from this post, transfer it to your phone and install it manually).
If your phone is not on BTU/if you want to install Android 6.0 on a device outside the UK, find the necessary steps to gain the BTU firmware down below, then come back to this guide.
- Open Galaxy Care, agree to the legal terms on the welcome screen, then press Next to head to the main screen of Galaxy Care.
- Now, at the top of the app, swipe around till you get the screen where it says “Participate Galaxy Beta Program.” Here, click the Join button.
- Then, press the REGISTRATION button at the bottom. Agree to the license terms after that, and voila, you will be given the option to download the Android 6.0 beta firmware sometime within the next 24 hours if Samsung selects you for the beta!
- As Samsung notes, it could take up
For those not in the UK/with non-BTU Product Code:
You can get the firmware even outside the UK if you are so inclined, but there are a couple of prerequisites for that: You must have the SM-G920F/SM-G925F model of the Galaxy S6/S6 edge, and it must be unlocked. See that F at the end of the model number? That is very important – you cannot install the beta firmware on any other model of either device.
You must also install the BTU version of the UK firmware for your Galaxy S6 or S6 edge. Here’s a link for the Galaxy S6 BTU UK firmware, and a link for the Galaxy S6 edge BTU UK firmware. To install the downloaded firmware on your phone, just follow the instructions in this video. Flashing this firmware should not wipe your data (nor void your warranty), but do a backup just to be safe.
Once your device has booted into the newly flashed firmware, just follow the guide above from step 3 to get the Android 6.0 software.
That’s it. Let us know if you run into any issues by leaving a comment below!