Galaxy S6 sales reportedly fall short of expectations, all eyes on the Galaxy Note 5

Earlier this year Samsung launched its new flagship handsets the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge. The market expected that customers would react favorably to the new devices and many of them did but things are expected to change in this quarter as industry watchers believe sales of the Galaxy S6 will actually fall short of expectations in the second quarter. The apprehension continues to mount as we head into the fall where traditionally Apple launches new iPhones and that’s also perceived as a threat to sales of the Galaxy S6.

Securities industry sources cited in a new report suggest that Samsung Electronics’ IT and mobile division is going to post an operating profit this quarter between $2.76 billion and $3.03 billion which would be a 22% increase quarter-over-quarter but a 24% slump year-over-year. This performance is attributed to low actual sales of the Galaxy S6 and with hopes for the next quarter being pinned on the Galaxy Note 5.

Samsung is expected to launch the Galaxy S6 edge Plus in the near future, it’s a new model which has a slightly larger display, larger battery as well as a Snapdragon 808 processor. The Galaxy Note 5 will arrive before the new iPhones and it’s bound to give those handsets a run for their money, Samsung will also be counting on this device to improve its fortunes in the global smartphone market.

Via

Phones 29

boruna82
2 years 18 days ago
boruna82

I got 2 S6 128gb with pink tint screens, that also kills the pleasure…. 🙁

Ganesh727
Ganesh727

Weak battery life, poor RAM management, lag after 2 months of using it, lousy UI and slow updates. Why am I not surprised? Samsung was so concerned with the design that everyone was giving them a hard time for because of the S5 that they forget to improve other aspects of the phone as much as the design.

thegeneral2010
thegeneral2010
I was very happy with note 4 when i got it but after updates started to roll out iwas truely dissappointed of how samsung treat the device and i am sure that most of note4 owners feels the same i was shocked to see updates going to older devicrs like s5 before note 4 not only that but also the update was horrible i cannt play any game after lollipop update because of bug made the gpu works on half of its speed as a summary when u buy samsung device u buy specifications only but y dont got the… Read more »
Islander99
Islander99

If Samsung is going to model the Note 5 after the S6, it needs to have more RAM (5 or 6 GB)…very important in these new devices. 64-bit with lots of internal storage 128GB etc..extra RAM, RAM

stoolzo
stoolzo
people are waiting to see what the S6 plus looks like. Sammy’s own fault for bringing out updates so early after flagship – oh and the lack fo SD and changeable battery of course. I took my first every Iphone after 4 galaaxy’s – love the hardware, hate the platform, Android is now way in front of apple for usefulness, gazillions more useful (free) apps on android and THERE IS A FECKING BACK BUTTON 🙂 !! I’ll be moving back to Android as soon as some makes a decent handset, i’m thinking thinner S6 with SD and Removable battery +… Read more »
j2001m
j2001m

All em sales are down this year I.e. Lg G4 with the sd card and removslable battery is not selling the m9 again not selling Sony z3+ again not selling, oh but look Samsung sold more s6 and s6 edges than last year s5 I.e. Sales are up for Samsung

neoramz
neoramz

We wil just wait Samsung to announce how many s6 they had sold not this kind of many speculation or rumor goin around

kronicle
2 years 18 days ago
kronicle
Just look at the source of these rumors!!! …………..they didn’t even bother to link the source at Business Korea story. Why do these fools here take that any site in Korea is going to be pro Samsung? This Cho Jin-young hates Samsung with a passion. Yet at the same time he does not ever support all his ridiculously anti-Samsung rumours. We’ve heard already that they broke profit records for June Quarter! Where’s this rumour actually coming from???? Not Samsung and what about the fact that Samsung has taken back Sales Crown in USA Market on the strength of S6 and… Read more »
n900mixalot
n900mixalot

See that’s the problem. The S6 hasn’t even peaked yet and now we’re all on to the next thing.

I hate to say it, so I won’t.

It is too late though. Note/Edge users have been too badly burned. S6 users haven’t even had a chance to get used to their phones. Note 3 users got list in the mix.

Party is over Samsung.

n900mixalot
n900mixalot

LOST not list. Can’t wait for the new comment system you guys have been talking about for almost a year now.

xhustler
xhustler
Honestly, Samsung has made great improvements on the S6 and S6 Edge. Problem is, there is still a lot of room for improvement (and by a lot I mean A LO…OT). My basis for the above statement is I use an S5 (SM-G900H – purchased on launch day) and an HTC Desire 816 (don’t boo – got it as a gift) as my daily drivers. I have to (annoyingly) admit that the Desire is not only performing better than the S5 but gives me more juice. Both phones are running lollipop but; i) Recent apps open faster on the Desire… Read more »
MStuart
MStuart

Sales will probably pick up now that the prices have fallen to non-madness levels. The regular S6, now selling SIM-free at £445, is the fifth best-seller on Amazon, which I think it’s not bad.

But yeah, Samsung needs to do something about their level of support. Their hardware is exquisitely premium, the software support is a joke in comparison.

Acorns
Acorns

The updates are pretty bad and slow.Ive come from using HTC for four years and I really like my S6 but HTC did leave a timeframe plan on when the M7 etc would receive updates and they pretty much stuck to the timeframe.
Where is the update to sort RAM issue, the camera update for RAW?
Too many phones no coherent plan

andyfish106
andyfish106

Well, there are a few reasons I think.

Slow updates for existing phones, leaving customers hanging, creates bad feelings about their products.

No SD card (I can live with the non removable battery.

Samsung make too many models of phones, they need to consolidate their range. if they did then maybe the support for existing phones would be better

Islander99
Islander99

Should have had a larger battery, more RAM (4GB minimum)

aeensing
aeensing

I’m gonna rock the Note 4 for a few years. Camera is great with ois. It’s fast, great build quality, superb screen, s pen, you name it note 4 has it.

Xim0
Xim0

Hi there!
Can you tell me what you exactely mean by OIS concerning the camera?
Thanks !

eHoolie
eHoolie

I believe he meant “optical image stablilization”

NoteLove
NoteLove

They only have themselves to blame. Slow updates for former flagship Note 4 and current one S6. I won’t be given them my money for Note 5, as once they get your money they don’t give a s%=÷ about you.

I may return to Apple once they go Amoled and have more than 1g of ram and a better camera. One that is great not boosted by the media to get their review units yearly.

tommypx
tommypx
Hopefully, because they haven’t sold as many units as they thought they will, they’ll give the note the treatment it deserves, hardware is great but they really need to get a new software team or at least add to it as they seriously ‘lag’ (pun intended) behind the competition. I have a note 4 and its by far the best phone I’ve had, it’s a great design, feel’s great in the hand and best of all it doesn’t compromise productivity. If the note series were to go the route of the Galaxy s6, like the leaks suggest, then, and i… Read more »
jjcommonsense
jjcommonsense
Tommy, I actually have the Note 4 and the LG G4 and I have to admit I’m actually quite impressed with the G4. I, like you, love my Note 4 but the lag when switching apps or even bringing up the keyboard is borderline unacceptable. I love the features of having the SPen but for normal day2day operations (web surfing, pictures) my G4 has become my go-to. Now to be fair i have had the N4 alot longer than ive had the G4 but ive also just done a few system resets and havent adjusted any of the transition scales… Read more »
sanayp
sanayp

No SD card

No removable battery

Uneccessarly over priced for both models

That is why

Maybe thes

hodsgod
hodsgod

That’s why I moved from a S4 to a note 4. I don’t want an iPhone running android. I want a premium phone at a realistic price. It needs to have a sd card slot and a replaceable battery!

Islander99
Islander99

Definitely agree with your points

hot_spare
hot_spare

iphones also don’t have SD card, removeable battery and yet they sell pretty well. SD card and removeable battery are just not convincing arguments. Even S5 didn’t do very well with these.

And I don’t know about your place, but out here 32GB S6 and 16GB HTC M8 (not M9) cost same. 16GB Z3 also costs just 5% less. So not exactly overpriced.

Tondern
Tondern

Since 2012 I’ve only been interested in the Note series. Once you go large screen you can never go back. And the 2550 mAH battery probably made the wait until fall even easier for me. I don’t want any kind of compromise when I’m going to pay 850$ or more.

jjcommonsense
jjcommonsense

You know what I’m the same way! I had a Note 3 and switched to the S5 when it came out and couldnt wait until the note 4 came out… you hit the nail on the head when u said once u go big you cant go back. I love my Note 4 but Samsung has a long way to go to speed up their operating system.

daydreamer01
daydreamer01

The S6 was way overpriced here in the UK. Only yesterday did I see a reasonably priced non-contract phone on a deal finding website and that is still form only one online shop.

kronicle
2 years 18 days ago
kronicle
But we all know UK is full of Appleholics as their one single stronghold in all of Europe. Italy, France, Germany and Spain are all Samsung Strongholds. Truth you Brits are all so easily brainwashed into joining up with the iJihadist Extremists in iApple Nation. A worldwide Cult of iDiots!!! Plus….. simple fact is you also like to pay more tax in UK than citizens in other EU states! Sorry….. but the tax breaks even UK offers Apple to go with Irish Loophole Laws to avoid them there too……. means the money you all pay for Samsung phones, gets used… Read more »
wpDiscuz