Samsung acknowledges Galaxy Note 8 battery issue

Home / News / Samsung acknowledges Galaxy Note 8 battery issue

It was reported last week that some Galaxy Note 8 owners had complained on the Samsung community website that their handset basically bricked itself after the battery was drained completely. They couldn’t turn on the device by plugging it in. Swapping chargers didn’t help and neither did trying to power it on in safe mode.

There were some reports from Galaxy S8+ owners as well who faced a similar problem. Samsung didn’t provide an explanation but it did offer replacements to affected customers.

Galaxy Note 8 battery issue

It’s unclear at this point in time what’s causing this Galaxy Note 8 battery issue. Samsung hasn’t explained it and no one has been able to figure it out. Devices from US carriers appear to be most affected by this issue so it’s likely that the Galaxy Note 8 battery issue is limited to the Snapdragon-powered variant.

It can’t be said for sure right now if this is a hardware or a software issue. Some users reported that their unit shows the charging circle when connected but doesn’t actually charge. Others said that the device gets warm but the screen doesn’t turn on. Wireless charging doesn’t help either.

Samsung has now acknowledged the Galaxy Note 8 battery issue. It has sent out the following statement (machine translated from German):

Samsung is taking all reports of this kind seriously, we only received a very small number of customer inquiries that could be linked to charge management, and unfortunately we can only comment on the matter further.

The statement is vague at best and doesn’t help us understand what’s causing this. Hopefully, it will provide more clarity on this in the near future.

Source

Phones 11

tim54
14 days 11 hours ago
tim54

My S7 did that recently. It was turned off with 80% battery. Two days later it was unresponsive. Took it to Samsung experience store, they plugged it in charger and the battery icon appeared, then it charged normally.
How does a battery discharge totally when it’s off its what I’m wondering about…

14 days 22 hours ago
Sergio Parada

MI TELEFONO NOTE 8 CUMPLE HOY EXACTAMENTE 2 MESES LO COMPRE EN LA ZONA LIBRE DEL AREOPUERTO DE PANAMA MI SERIE ES SM-N950F/DS Y EL S/N ES R28J924VW4B, AMANECIO MUERTO, LO PUSE A CARGAR A LAS 2 Y 30 DE LA MAÑANA, CUANDO DESPERTE A LAS 7 DE LA MAÑANA, ESTABA MUERTO. ESPERO RESUELVA EL SERVICIO TECNICO. PERO ES UNA MIERDA TENER QUE PASAR POR ESTO CON 1069 DOLARES DE COSTO.

18 days 10 hours ago
David Berry

Apple trying to even the playing field with fake reports? Let’s here numbers

18 days 10 hours ago
David Berry
Don’t let it get that low folks. Batteries do this. Hopefully the folks at samsung reconsider their dropping of the clip on battery pack for the 8 series of phones. Best accessory ever & they dropped it after getting it perfect on note7. Waterproof 75% charge, usb & not a brick like these ones folks have on their note8s that range from 25$ to 120$ depending on the brand stamped on them. They are not good for charge port either. The same issue killed these I think. People left them in the drawers stored away flat for months & wondered… Read more »
ZeroFreedom
19 days 12 hours ago
ZeroFreedom

Today I did an experiment with my US version T-Mobile Samsung galaxy note 8. Which I let it to ran out of the battery life to zero. And charged with the Samsung’s own supplied adaptive fast charger. It seems to have been no issues so far with charging the battery as of late. The charging animation show up and it did boot up just fine. As matter of fact I am tying on it so I hope I just got a good unit.

19 days 9 hours ago
Nasir Mehdi

i agree with you.i have also note 8 sm-n950f.

fcaroll
19 days 18 hours ago
fcaroll

* removable battery *

20 days 53 minutes ago
kossu

I’ve have had the same battery problem with S7 Edge two times. Both times Samsung service has replaced motherboard. I live in finland so it’s not only us problem. If you have this problem, try heat your phone with hair dryer. They told me at the service that battery somehow goes under 3 volts and there is circuit that prevents charging if it goes that low. When you heat your phone voltage rises over 3 volts and it accepts charging again. But if it goes too low, heating won’t work. Then you have to replace motherboard or get new phone:)

pankaj981
20 days 4 hours ago
pankaj981

I’ve had my Snapdragon S8 Plus’ battery drained completely a couple of times. Sometimes it shows the charging animation, especially on a slow charger but never wakes up for at least 30 mins. Everytime connecting to a fast charger plus combination of power + volume down (if I remember correctly) has booted back my device. This was few months ago though. Not sure if Samsung had pushed an update sometime between then and now that doesn’t allow that anymore.

Biransahin
20 days 6 hours ago
Biransahin

I let my phone go to 0% twice just to check it out, and hoping it starts up ok!! It does charge with no problem. No problem though I have the Exynos version myself…