Exclusive: Gear S4 (SM-R800) is being developed by Samsung

Home / News / Exclusive: Gear S4 (SM-R800) is being developed by Samsung

Samsung fans have long been waiting for a successor to the Gear S3. The company didn’t quite release one last year as it chose to launch the Gear Sport instead. It was basically a cross between the Gear S3 Classic and Gear S3 Frontier as the new smartwatch focused more on fitness features. The design itself was a mix of the two but it didn’t feel like a next-generation smartwatch compared to the Gear S3.

There hasn’t been much talk about Samsung’s wearable devices plans for 2018 so far but we have received some information which suggests that there’s a new smartwatch in the pipeline.

Gear S4 (SM-R800) being developed

SamMobile co-founder Martin Reinders revealed during our weekly Facebook Live session that Samsung is now working on a new smartwatch bearing model number SM-R800 and codename Galileo. There’s a good possibility that it might be launched as the Gear S4 later this year. Some of you might already be aware that the Gear S3 Classic and Frontier have model numbers SM-R770 and SM-R760 respectively. The Gear Sport is SM-R600.

He also revealed during the Facebook Live session that aside from the obvious improvements to the internals, Samsung will also improve the health and fitness features offered by S Health. For example, the new smartwatch will offer more in-depth sleep tracking.

We can expect more information about this smartwatch to surface in the near future. As much as Samsung fans would want this to be the Gear S4, there’s also a possibility that this might be a successor to the Gear Sport, but that’s just pure speculation at this point.

As far as the release is concerned, we hear that Samsung is going to release this new smartwatch in Q4 2018. No word as yet on how much it will cost. We’ll certainly keep you in the loop about the SM-R800 going forward. In the meantime, don’t forget to check out our Facebook Live session which takes place every Wednesday at 19:30 PM CET.

Watches 14

warlockba
21 days 12 hours ago
warlockba

Yea probably Bixby and will be made of glass entirely, I can bet …

sammorphous
21 days 19 hours ago
sammorphous

I can’t wait for S4. I suppose it will revolutionary watch.

ijazali
22 days 13 hours ago
ijazali

I was about to buy s3, but since the news about s4 arrives, i will wait for s4

azkendrick
22 days 13 hours ago
azkendrick

It would be nice to have apps load faster and a voice assistant that works well, two downsides of my Gear S3

22 days 14 hours ago
Futures Wave

I hope the gear 4 has better Bluetooth connection and google assistant

Galaxy Notice
21 days 22 hours ago
Galaxy Notice

Probably Bixby.

aegeuss
22 days 14 hours ago
aegeuss
I am using S3 Frontier for about six months and am pretty happy about it; I have some requests though for S4; 1. although three days is ok for battery life, it would be better to improve it; 2. running app should get more features from Garmin like running into specific heart rate or pace / cadence / tempo and warn aloud when runner exceeds and drops target etc. 3. main fitness apps like strava and nike running are not still supported; they should be 4. there must be an option to export workout details in in .GPX or .TCX… Read more »
westfind
22 days 15 hours ago
westfind

Tizen 3.0 suck my battery to the max.
Drop 10% of battery level in 10 minutes.
And my S3 Frontier is only 10 months old.

pjm1891
20 days 16 hours ago
pjm1891

Do a hard reset that fixed it for me after the update.

Biransahin
22 days 16 hours ago
Biransahin

I can’t see myself upgrading from my Gear S3 Frontier to the next one. My wife just got the Gear Sport (gift with S9 plus, and she loves it, nice light weight which suits her). My Frontier is doing everything I want so I can’t imagine needing a new watch. I can get the battery changed by Samsung for about 60 usd, so when it wears out, I’ll replace the battery. Great upgrade for those on Gear S2 though!

73Landau
22 days 22 hours ago
73Landau

I am waiting for a gear S4 lte to update my gear. Hopefully the phone carriers in Australia getbon board with the lte watch.

vnovomsate
23 days 7 hours ago
vnovomsate

Would be nice to see some interesting new update for gear s3.
Latest news about S2 says that there is almost no difference between S2 and S3 firmware…

23 days 33 minutes ago
vikydattu

Latest update of Gear S2 is still on Tizen 2.3, while S3 is on Tizen 3.
That’s the difference to start with. I’m confident that there are many visual differences as well.

Prata
22 days 11 hours ago
Prata

I have a S2 Premium. In fact, it remains in 2.3. However, this update brought an interface similar to 3.0 (almoooost the same), without the problem of consuming so much battery.

The S3 has microphone, GPS … While the S2 does not. There would be no reason to bring 3.0 to S2. It would only consume more battery. I believe the same applies to news for S3.

What I expect a lot is an improvement in consumption (S3).
Dude, I’d prefer 1000x the S2 in everyday use.