The Galaxy S6 didn’t have a microSD slot because Samsung was concerned about performance issues

Samsung fans didn’t like it when the company removed the microSD slot from its flagships last year. All previous Galaxy S series handsets supported external memory expansion so it was a big change for the company. A Samsung executive has revealed that concerns about performance issues were the primary reason for the microSD slot being booted from the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge.

Kyle Brown, the head of content, technology and launch management at Samsung, has said that the company was concerned that microSD support could slow down the performance of its 2015 flagship. The Galaxy S6 was the first Samsung smartphone to feature the company’s UFS 2.0 memory that’s almost three times faster than conventional eMMC 5.0 memory. The company was concerned about slow reading speeds for data stored on the memory card and felt that it would bog down the phone’s performance so it decided against supported microSD cards.

The Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 edge build up nicely on the platform that the previous flagships built. Brown says that for the new handsets Samsung was able to work out a solution which enables users to get “the best of both worlds,” so not only do they get super-fast internal storage but they also get the ability to expand storage externally without feeling as if the phone is being bogged down.

Source

Phones 12

FBiL
1 year 2 months ago

I am cynical in my old age. I am more likely to believe that Samsung opted for the “Apple” approach and thought they would strong arm people into spending a lot more than they would on an SD card and buying more storage. I don’t object to them doing that but it would affect my buying choices.
Not because of money, more because I have around 70GB of hi-res music on my SD card plus a lot of photos. Transferring these between phones via cable/PC takes ages. With an SD card I just swap them over at the same time as transferring my SIM. Job done.
The argument that I should “just stream it all” is laughable – I spend a lot of time in areas where I have only a 2G signal meaning no streaming possible, even if that wasnt the case I would hate to think what my mobile bill would be if I did stream about 4 hours of music a day in hi-res

Solun
1 year 2 months ago

How big is your SD card? Cause the S6 was sold with 128 GB storage which is enough for most people. There is no phone with a larger memory than that in the world so it should be enough lol.

Also, the fastest SD card in the world from SanDisk is still three times slower than Samsung´s UFS. And it costs 300 USD. So not sure about your theory.

TomMiken
1 year 2 months ago

So much BS. How to make a technical limitation (incompatibility between the UFS 2.0 controller and MicroSD) look like it was meant as a performance feature. The could have always gone the extra mile and added the MicroSD compatibility and slot, and possibly add a warning message when a new SD card is detected in the phone “something alone the lines of “data read from the external MicroSD would be slower than the phone’s built-in storage”). Deciding for the user is the Apple way. Giving the user the option to choose is the Android way.

stevent64
1 year 2 months ago

I was liking the fact that there were no sd cards on the s6, as on previous phone specifically the s3 if I had set a custom tone and the tone is saved on the sd card, whenever it was is connected to a computer whether to charge or transfer files, the phone is unable to read from the card and so reverts everything back to stock and so I had to re add custom settings which was pretty annoying the s6 changed that because everything was on the phone I hope the s7 will continue on the same trend.

ShivamChatak
1 year 2 months ago

As Galaxy S7 is here with SD card. Soome people will opt for a cheap SD card. And then they will complain about performance

o0MHJ0o
1 year 2 months ago

I’m glad I made the switch to internal only. People are streaming media more than ever now, 64GB is plenty, or 128GB is sure to be. I was sure it was my SD Card that was slowing down my previous phones, even after factory reseting them. Hopefully I won’t have an issue with 2 years on my Galaxy S6 edge+

ShivamChatak
1 year 2 months ago

As SD card is back in S7. Some people will opted for a cheap SD card. And then, will complain about performance issue.

skccs
1 year 2 months ago

Even the SD-Card with the highest data-transfer-rate won’t compete to UFS-Memory. Maybe therefore samsung decided not to allow adoptable-storage in the s7-series. As the s7-series won’t be able to run apps from sc-card, there will not be any performance issue ;-)

Total Faith
1 year 2 months ago

In this article (written about 17h from now) it is stated that “Samsung will allow users to move apps to the card”. That would be exactly the opposite from your argument. So let us just assume that the S7 will feature apps running from the external SD-card ;)

skccs
1 year 2 months ago

@Total Faith: Good point. Yes we will see. Maybe also thirdparty-app developers will provide solutions.
You know, at this early point of time there is so much speculation and theoretical discussion and only few reallive test’s. So many discussions are theoretical, but this is part of the “before-release-hipe and joy” ;-)

HFL087
1 year 2 months ago

did u smoke something? it could run apps from SD,,,, “move to SD” , learn facts.

skccs
1 year 2 months ago

well no I didn’t smoke anything, I used to smoke cuban cigars a few years ago. I think this is not the way we should argument.
Smoking aside, I just read some tech news, and they say without global storage no apps, only media usage (so for ex. mp3 or video files).