Galaxy Note 8 Oreo update randomly released

Home / News / Galaxy Note 8 Oreo update randomly released

The Galaxy Note 8 isn’t going to be the first device from Samsung to receive the Android 8.0 Oreo update. Samsung has actually been running a beta program for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+. Both devices are expected to get their Oreo update by the end of this month.

However, it appears that the Galaxy Note 8 Oreo update has been randomly released to at least one user with the Exynos-powered variant of the device. It’s unusual because the beta program was never expanded to the Galaxy Note 8.

Galaxy Note 8 Oreo update

Someone claiming to work for Samsung posted pictures of their Galaxy Note 8 model SM-N950F that randomly received the Oreo update. The Reddit user says this is a device “that customers can touch and use at will,” so they probably work at an experience center or in a retail location.

The screenshots show that this device has received firmware version N950FXXU2CRA1.DM. It appears to be an internal test build of Oreo for the Galaxy Note 8 as it’s certainly not a beta firmware. That much is evident from the firmware version.

The firmware is said to feature all of the improvements that are part parcel of Android 8.0 Oreo. It even includes the January 2018 security patch that Samsung detailed a couple of days ago.

The Reddit user says that they’ll be able to provide more information about this tomorrow after going back to work. It doesn’t appear to be a soak test because it’s not common for Samsung to release major firmware updates to a few people ahead of a public release just to test the waters.

Nevertheless, this reveals that Samsung has a pretty stable Oreo build for the Galaxy Note 8 and that’s good news. Galaxy Note 8 owners probably won’t have to wait for too long once the company starts rolling out this update for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+.

The beta program for these devices will end on January 15 so there’s a good chance that Oreo might be released before the end of this month.

Galaxy Note 8 Oreo update

Source

Firmware news 30

2 months 17 days ago
player911

The Note 8 has beta firmwares of Oreo just like the 8 and 8+. I am running Oreo CRA9 on my Verizon Note 8.

preime101
3 months 15 days ago
preime101

Just connected my SM-N950F Note 8 dual sim UK unlocked variant which hasn’t had an update since launch to smart switch this morning and just been informed there is an update!
going from
PDA:Ql1 / CSC:QHF / PHONE:QHB (BTU)
To:
PDA:QKG / CSC:QKG / PHONE:QKG (BTU)

A 3776MB install so will keep you posted

gsdworld21
3 months 15 days ago
gsdworld21

That’ll be December update I think

preime101
3 months 15 days ago
preime101

Yep, that was it. Finally! Took them long enough.

gsdworld21
3 months 15 days ago
gsdworld21

I was originally on O2U then flashed to BTU thinking I’d be updated quicker. Wrong. Ended up going back to O2U and got updated straight away. Glad you got updated finally. Let’s hope Oreo is distributed better

3 months 15 days ago
Coops86

Still nothing this end on a none duel sim phone. I’ve even updated Smart Switch too to see if anything would push through.

I’m glad you’ve had something though! Hopefully we’ll see an update in the next few hours or couple of days.

1 month 20 days ago
relic74
That doesn’t make sense, I’ve received at least 5 updates so far. In fact I just updated it last week with the newest security updates. Though I never, ever, buy the Exynos version, just to many issues. That and the Qualcomm versions are always faster, GPU, CPU and LTE speeds. In fact I’m getting around 300Mbs sustained with my Note 8 and my contract is only for 200Mbs, Switzerland’s LTE speeds are amazing and they’re unlimited, with no throttling. I couldn’t believe that most Americans still only have a 10Mbs connection at home, let alone on their phones. I thought… Read more »
fulgin
3 months 17 days ago
fulgin

I,m waiting for my N950F hopefully will get it soon!

bossdeboss88
3 months 17 days ago
bossdeboss88

Anyone with note 8 N950F csc XEF(France) have update or is one modified software?

sebasto16
3 months 16 days ago
sebasto16

Same situation I’m waiting for it.

stondec
stondec

Still waiting for the Nougat update for my original unreturned Galaxy Note 7.

agyawusu2012
agyawusu2012

I guess you gonna wait like forever

Coops86

I would have thought all updates would have been suspended / scrapped once they did a full product recall dude.

Wizky911
Wizky911

cool thanks for the permission

bosson med
bosson med

what about galaxy s7 edge

johnreader
3 months 17 days ago
johnreader

What about it? That is a old handset now

tailgunner9
tailgunner9

Samsung may release by end of month but AT&T and other carriers probably will not. Got to get their Bloatware to run in it!!!!!

stoertebecker
stoertebecker

Sounds really strange with the reports of not getting updates. I got last week a new unbranded phone from Samsung and get after setup direct the december patch

Coops86

It depends what country you’re in. Some European countries and the UK haven’t had an update since early September where other countries and even carrier locked phones (in the UK) have had regular monthly updates.

JSH1973
JSH1973

I want to see it before I believe it.
Unlocked/ UN-branded European dual sim here, bought on pre-order and not one single update since then, still on august security patch….. shame on you Samsung

valii
valii

update via Odin it’s not difficult

Coops86

If you’re willing to guarantee my warranty and cost of the device if it bricks the phone then sure, I’ll do it. Otherwise stop telling people to update their own firmware.

This website even advises against it to cover their backs.

“We recommend using Samsung’s own utilities, Samsung Smart Switch and OTA (Over-the-air), to upgrade devices. Use SamMobile only if you are 100% sure about the risks involved in flashing your device. SamMobile is not responsible for any damage caused by using the files on this website.”

Biransahin
Biransahin

Looks good.. Will be nice to get it quickly.. Good update record here in Turkey, we’re on December patch since second week of December.. Hopefully we’ll get this quickly too…….fingers crossed.. Lol

blaster219

Still waiting for ANY sort of update on my SIM free dual SIM model purchased direct from Samsung. Nothing since the early September update I got when I first got the phone. It seems they’ve released the OTA for the network locked models in the UK but not the unlocked model.

Biransahin
Biransahin

That is crazy.. I’m in Turkey with Exynos unlocked Note8 and got the December update in the 2nd week of December. It’s the same device. I cannot understand why you’re waiting. You can always flash it of course. It’s not difficult to do.

preime101
preime101

I agree, but we shouldn’t have to risk our warranty to try and resolve the abysmal service from Samsung. It is baffling why Samsung are not releasing the update. I have been chasing them repeatedly about this with zero response other than the same cut and paste response how to check for updates each time.

alastairgreen_Nexus
3 months 14 days ago
alastairgreen_Nexus

But flashing via ODIN does not trip KNOX unless it’s a custom rom or TWRP

Coops86

This would be great news but after receiving zero updates from Samsung in months I’m still a little skeptical. Still, I’ll keep checking my phone to see if this update pushes through.

valii
valii

update via Odin

Coops86

We shouldn’t have to update the phones ourselves because Samsung can’t be bothered.