Galaxy S8 restart issue is a nuisance for users

Samsung has barely addressed the reddish display tint issue of the Galaxy S8 and we’re now hearing of a new issue that many Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ owners are facing. Apparently, some units are restarting on their own for no reason at all. Users who are facing this issue report that the handset restarts of its own volition several times a day.

Countless Galaxy S8 owners are expressing their displeasure over the matter on Samsung’s official community page for the US as well as the XDA Developers forums. Samsung has not officially acknowledged this as an issue yet.

Some have deduced that perhaps microSD cards are causing the handset to reboot several times a day on its own. A temporary fix being suggested involves removing the microSD card. Others are of the view that it has something to do with a bug in the lock or Always-On Display screen and possibly the power save feature as well.

There’s no clarity on the matter yet so it’s not known what’s causing this issue and when Samsung is going to come up with a fix. Hopefully, the company will have more information about this for us in the near future.

Having you faced a similar issue on your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+? Let us know in the comments below.

Via Source 1 Source 2

Phones 42

rachy76
1 month 13 days ago
rachy76

Mine has been restarting itself lately and I’m very annoyed by it. If this keeps happening, I’ll be switching over to iphone. I have the S8+.

3 months 4 days ago
Tanmay Karande

Got the S8 on a contract two days ago from du in the UAE….It has restarted several times……15-20 within the last 36 hours…..

mean-machine
3 months 19 days ago
mean-machine

It has happened twice on UK S8+ from EE.
First, I thought I must have pressed something and today I just grabbed the phone and it’s restarted itself while in my hand. Will see if this becomes a regular behaviour.

romanson
3 months 21 days ago
romanson

Greetings from Montenegro.
I have S8+ and I dont have any issues for now , hope it will stay that way.
So….
Phone is ok , much better than s7 edge and for now that would be it

Ayfred
3 months 21 days ago
Ayfred

Same problem on the Galaxy S7 Android 7.0 Exynos (especially when I want to close the Youtube App)

ahmedshamsandroid
3 months 19 days ago
ahmedshamsandroid

Oh i thought i was the only one with that problem. It was really frustrating . Although i have found an alternative way. I have flashed another country stock rom and its not having any problem.

whqhdrbs
3 months 21 days ago
whqhdrbs

what I’m wondering about it is that it only happens in the US, Samsung sold over 1.5 mil units in Korea and nothing of same sort came out of Korea, considering Korea is always the first place to report such issues when it comes to Samsung devices I think Samsung needs to search for the cause in the US first

maccyb
3 months 21 days ago
maccyb

A Snapdragon problem perhaps??

fdtf
3 months 21 days ago
fdtf

In almost 2 weeks I didn’t have any issues what so ever. Such an amazing phone!

5770 mp
3 months 21 days ago
5770 mp

Only a re build from AOSP will solve the shity software..
I like the features but it has to be smooth, if not- thank you but no Thank you.
They really need to see YouTube to realize they so bad at software?!

whqhdrbs
3 months 21 days ago
whqhdrbs

I watched many Youtube videos and they rather praise SW of s8

ajwconsult
3 months 21 days ago
ajwconsult

My S8 UK, not had any restart issues yet.

The only issue I have had is slow camera. It took a good two seconds to take a picture after pressing the button. Does not do it all the time and no reason why it does.

catalinu1
catalinu1

I have a different problem with my S8. My front camera stopped working. Before that there was a extra heated zone and after that my front camera wont start. Even apps Samsung Members cant see the problem. When I scan hardware, the apps stops working.

Titandan
Titandan

Never happened to me at all. I have S7 Edge and I reboot every couple days just for the sake of giving my machine a rest for a couple seconds. Still functions very well after a year.

whitehaze

Mine hasnt restarted but its very slow like ill push a button and a very long delay to do anything i miss my note 🙁

GeekTN
GeekTN

I have a problem of random reboots on my Galaxy S7 since the update to Android Nougat 7.0. Even after a factory reset, the problem has not been resolved.

Chris Banks

Nope. Had mine since 4/20 and has not rebooted once. I have a Micro SD and use AOD.

mweinbach
mweinbach

I have had no issues with mine restarting. It happens with my S7 Edge but not my S8.

Standingo

A couple of times my S7 Edge restarted for no apparent reason.
Not a drama but I hope they’ll fix it.
It was after updating to Nougat.
Maybe on some units of the S8 it’s the same reason.

edismehmedali
edismehmedali

My s7 edge sometimes restarts for no apparent reason. It’s only happened 10-15 times since I bought it in June, but it’s still very frustrating issue to have on such an expensive phone

socalrailroader

No issues with my S8+ (Verizon), reboots, Red screens or otherwise, and I’m on the newest D9 Firmware. It’s been flawless since I received it from Samsung on April 20th, hopefully it stays that way. I have a 256 GB SD card in it, I got it with the Total VR Experience $99 package (AKG Bluetooth headphones, Gear VR with Controller, 256 GB Samsung Evo+ Card) when I pre ordered my S8+

gobbie
gobbie

Don’t have the problem on my S8 (I do use a 64GB sandisk micro sd)

On the other hand my Google Nexus 7 (2013) with stock Android does reboot spontanious every now and then.

Cance
Cance
I’m using the Galaxy S8 in Switzerland and had no problems at all, I hope it stays that way because I really like that phone. Had a S6 Edge before and also no problems just the battery getting worse over time. 10% to 0% in 2 minutes but after 2 years of using the phone this is almost normal but with the better battery in the S8 I think the problem shouldn’t be that big because it loses less capacity over time. At least right know I have a much higher battery live than with my S6 and I hope… Read more »
popetillox
popetillox

I have the S8 Plus and no problems here everything it’s been perfect by now crossing fingers for it helps I will say that last year with a Galaxy 7 Edge I had some restart at and black screen at the beginning while Samsung was pulling up the software but It was nothing to worry there came an update and everything was solved

Antykain
Antykain

No issues at all with my S8+ so far..

/knockonwood

I hope this continues to be the case.. 🙂

TheSparda
3 months 23 days ago
TheSparda

I have experienced this myself, and what’s most annoying was that I was texting a long message to console my cousin who lost her dad, and it just restarted, Samsung please fix this!
The phone also has RAM management issues that were not fixed for a new flagship. You would have thought that they would have figured this out since it has been a long standing issue!

mattia231

The S8/+ exynos doesn’t have this RAM management problem anymore.
Snapdragon is bad, that’s the only thing I could say.

daddycaniedo
3 months 23 days ago
daddycaniedo

NO RESTART ISSUE

andrescortes237
3 months 23 days ago
andrescortes237

I own an S7 Edge G935FXXU1DQ1 Exynos 8890 and since the update to android 7.0 I undergo exactly those same restarts during the day and sometimes out of nowhere always appears the warning Google services will be stopped!

Ganna96
Ganna96

Have you tried to wipe cache and data of the app? Or have you tried to unistall and install it again?

markstep1
markstep1

also had problem with s7 edge same thing would come back to it at the SIM LOCK screen wondering why

alensia
alensia

I have the S7 and same here.. Had to take out my good old Galaxy S2 for the time being.

wpDiscuz