SamMobile has affiliate and sponsored partnerships. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

The Dutch Consumers’ Association files lawsuit against Samsung over device support

Phone
By 

Last updated: January 19th, 2016 at 20:10 UTC+02:00

The Dutch Consumers’ Association has filed a lawsuit against Samsung over device support, stating in its lawsuit that the Korean giant doesn’t provide support for most of its devices in a given calendar year nor inform customers as to when they can expect their device(s) to receive subsequent Android updates.

Consumers are not sufficiently informed on the purchase of a Samsung Android device about how long they will receive software updates. The Dutch Consumers [are] demanding that Samsung [make] this matter clear and [provide] unambiguous information to customers…Samsung also does not provide sufficient information on critical security holes in its Android phones like Stage Fright (translated by Google Translate).

As for device support, a study from last year details that Samsung doesn’t update 82% of its devices, leaving only 18% of its devices as update-eligible.

Samsung does seem to have an erratic update policy, but it’s also true that many of its devices are budget-friendly and do not necessarily meet the demands that warrant an update. At the same time, however, many Samsung users are buying budget-friendly devices and want to see them updated for some time. Samsung is looking to bring fingerprint sensors and other high-end specs such as improved cameras into its budget-friendly lineup, so we could very well see Samsung’s update policies progress to include more budget-friendly devices. Google could help in this regard as well by not releasing so many incremental updates that only add emojis, for example.

We have reached out to Samsung for an official comment on the matter and will update when it gets back to us. Do you think this lawsuit is fair? Is Samsung right or wrong, or is this just another frivolous lawsuit? Speak your mind in the comments.

Update: Official Statement Samsung Benelux

At Samsung, we understand that our success depends on consumers’ trust in us, and the products and services that we provide. That is why we have made a number of commitments in recent months to better inform consumers about the status of security issues, and the measures we are taking to address those issues. Data security is a top priority and we work hard every day to ensure that the devices we sell and the information contained on those devices are is safeguarded.”

Via

Phone Samsung
Load 44 comments

You might also like

Samsung to use more LG batteries in its low-end and premium phones

Samsung may have driven LG out of the smartphone market, but it’s more than happy to source components f …

  • By Adnan Farooqui
  • 3 weeks ago

Samsung and Apple jointly hold 60% of global tablet market share

According to the latest report by market research firm Strategy Analytics, Samsung and Apple jointly hold 60% …

  • By Sagar Naresh
  • 2 months ago

New WhatsApp update adds extra layer of privacy to chats

The latest WhatsApp update for Android and iOS adds another layer of privacy for disappearing chats. Media sen …

  • By Anil Ganti
  • 3 months ago

WhatsApp voice messaging is about to get a whole lot better

On Wednesday, WhatsApp announced that it is bringing a bunch of new features to voice messages. These features …

  • By Sagar Naresh
  • 3 months ago

Samsung aims to dominate the mid-tier smartphone market in India

There are a plethora of Samsung smartphones in the mid-tier smartphone category on offer in India. The company …

  • By Sagar Naresh
  • 3 months ago

Realme to be the first to ship phone with Samsung’s newest 108MP …

Chinese smartphone brand Realme has announced that its new flagship, the Realme 9 (4G), will ship with a 108MP …

  • By Sagar Naresh
  • 3 months ago