[Update] Samsung finally lets us disable the Bixby button

Home / News / [Update] Samsung finally lets us disable the Bixby button

The dedicated Bixby button on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ didn’t really serve any meaningful purpose until last month when Bixby Voice was rolled out globally. Before the global release of Bixby Voice, the dedicated button could only be used for Bixby Home.

Most users didn’t feel the need for Bixby Home to have a dedicated key. Third-party apps were developed that allowed them to remap the button to launch any app of their choice. Samsung was quick to clamp down on those apps for reasons that our editor in chief explained in great detail.

I bemoaned recently that the Bixby button was driving me nuts and many of our readers agreed with me. I don’t like how it gets in the way and that you can’t avoid accidental presses of the button. However, it’s time for us to rejoice.

Samsung is finally allowing us to disable the Bixby button, to an extent. The latest Bixby updates add a new toggle which lets you decide whether or not Bixby Home should be launched when the dedicated button is pressed. This can also be configured from the Bixby settings menu.

You’ll see this toggle at the very top of Bixby Home once you install the update. You can tap on the gear icon to hide the toggle should you so desire. It’s just a matter of tapping on a toggle now and that makes me happy.

To be clear, Bixby Home isn’t going anywhere. You can still access it by swiping left from the home screen. The Bixby button will also work for summoning Bixby Voice. Just press and hold like you already do.

Are you happy that Samsung is finally giving us this option? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Update: The implementation appears to be random right now. Some of our devices have got this toggle after the update. Some haven’t. Perhaps it will take more time for this to be available on all Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Note 8 units.

Phones 25

jdc270
2 months 10 days ago
jdc270

Thank you, now don’t turn Bixby on just by carrying or picking up phone anymore, Switch is disabled! Next Phones spend more time & money on the Screen so it will not crack! Like Samsung, but S5 Sport & S8+ both cracked and did not get dropped, do not know the cause either!

vskumar1972
3 months 28 days ago
vskumar1972

Same here. Got the option to turn off the bixby key. But even after turn off the bixby home launches after pressing the key once. I think that option not integrated well with the hardware.

maccyb
3 months 29 days ago
maccyb

Bixby is working brilliantly now, I never liked voice assistants but this one,, once you know how to use it, is unbeatable. I’m definitely not going to disable it.

frenky22
3 months 29 days ago
frenky22

Where are the icons Vision, Reminder, Bixby launcher..from the top panel?

MohamedYousri
3 months 29 days ago
MohamedYousri

The good thing in that is Samsung is listening to useres in the past 2 years, since the Nogut beta firmware and changing a lot of stuff after useres feedback is a great thing

billywongwashere
3 months 29 days ago
billywongwashere

Best update ever! So happy of no mistake bixby launch

btmusicman313
3 months 29 days ago
btmusicman313

Unless this update removes the bixby button I don’t care about it

Crash613
3 months 29 days ago
Crash613

Would love to remap… Not just disable

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

The AOD also updated. You don’t need a Note device to Pin text to the AOD, you just share the note with AOD and it works the same as the Notes

cslucian
cslucian

Well for me the most annoying thing was the accidental pressing of the button when working with the phone in landscape. The update fixes this for me. The possibility for mapping other app on short press would be great also.

gsdworld21
gsdworld21

Updated today on note8 UK. Changed settings. Bixby still launches as before

Danielle Noonan

I installed the update and saw the toggle. I turned the toggle off and exited Bixby. As a test, I pressed the left side button, and sure enough not only did Bixby launch, it launched without the toggle option! Anyone else experience this?

auctyvance
auctyvance

not disable my Bixby button.. i like it and makes it easy to access bixby quicker

crixalis
crixalis

This is great. Really happy with this option, I hate Bixby button.

HossamAlMasri
HossamAlMasri

i got the implementation working after updating Bixby on both Note 8 and S8

Lukasz1536
Lukasz1536

It is working (UK). All you need to do it’s just update Bixby.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

This is exactly what I asked for, lol. Especially on my lockscreen, because of symmetry and AOD being off, I don’t always know if I am pressing the power button or the Bixby button. I like using Bixby voice, but really don’t use Home much at all. Glad to have this option.
Also, Using Bixby voice with the Clear View cover is pretty cool!

EDIT: this setting doesn’t exist and doesn’t work! it appears in cards and then just disappears. very annoying

arovik
arovik

This did not work. Turned it off. and the option to turn on/off disappeared. bixby button is still the same.

Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire

Works for me after updating three Bixby apps from Galaxy Apps, I can disable Bixby key and also Bixby voice. Now button does nothing on short press or long press either.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

Same! I saw Bixby Home needed updating and the setting showed but disappeared once I toggled it on. and it doesn’t even work! So stupid.

matto252
matto252

Yes, I still like to hold the button to talk to Bixby but those accidental launches of Bixby home were annoying. If I need to access I will just swipe from the home screen.

Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire

Now they should let us pick whatever app we want to launch when pressing the button. I have remapped the button to open Google now anyway, but would be nice to have that option by default, instead of using a 3rd party app.

sriram231092
sriram231092

I don’t think they will let that happen as they put a lot of their effort in creating just that Assistant.

Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire

Probably not, but at least we can hope. I never thought they would let us disable it either.

Ogishi
3 months 29 days ago
Ogishi

Basically impossible. Disabling is the bottom line.