Home / News / What’s New With Nougat Part 5: Screen resolution can be adjusted to squeeze more out of the battery

We’ve already highlighted some of the great new features included in the Android 7.0 Nougat update for the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 edge in our What’s New With Nougat series. Samsung appears to be really pushing the envelope with this release as it has baked in a great new user interface as well as tons of new feature.

Samsung took a lot of flak when it made the decision to give up on removable batteries with the Galaxy S6. It stuck with this decision for the Galaxy S7 as well and it’s highly unlikely now that the company will go back to removable batteries. Batteries will continue to get bigger and better over time but the company can help users get more out of them by offering some software-based solutions. The Ultra Power Saving Mode is one such solution and so is the ability to adjust screen resolution.

We found this option in the Display menu of the Settings app on a Galaxy S7 edge running Samsung’s beta version of Nougat. It was also present on the Galaxy Note 7. It’s a simple slider that lets users select between 1280×720 HD, 1920×1080 HD and all the way up to 2560×1440 WQHD resolution. All currently running apps are closed when the resolution is changed. The obvious advantage of playing with this feature is that users will get a noticeable difference in device performance as well as battery efficiency since the processor and other components won’t be working hard all of the time to maintain WQHD resolution.

It’s a great way to let people squeeze more juice out of their device’s battery, don’t you think?

s7-nougat-screen-resolution-adjust-1
s7-nougat-screen-resolution-adjust-2
s7-nougat-screen-resolution-adjust-3

Firmware news 14

aatish579
11 months 10 days ago
aatish579

This is the best thing in the update.

Blackberry10
11 months 10 days ago
Blackberry10

I noticed that the performance. On 720p is no near the performance on 1080p and the performance on 1080 is no near. The performance on 2k…i think when you reduce the resolution of the display the performance is reduced too!!!… This is my experience for android 7 beta on my s7…what about you?? Do you noticed the same thing!?
From 2k to 1080 you will not notice a huge difference but from 2k to 720 you will

gr8imad
11 months 10 days ago
gr8imad

When Nougat will available on Sammobile

redouanetsps
11 months 11 days ago
redouanetsps

This feature is the best thing in this update .
Thank’s Samsung for it
And thank you Mr Adnan for your efforts here in sammobile

strazzi
11 months 11 days ago
strazzi

I think this is an nice feacher to have. In games this should help and it is good to have more choises how to use your device. Thumbs up samsung.

tswfootball
11 months 11 days ago
tswfootball

I’m that sort of person who hate that there is an option like this.
I don’t wanna lower the resolution when I’m paying for a phone that’s supposedly going to run in WQHD. But if you get substantially better battery life.. What should you doo

MStuart
11 months 11 days ago
MStuart

Nah, not for me. I pay for a glorious high DPI display and that’s what I’ll use. Battery savings are not going to be enough to do otherwise.

s7edgep0wer
11 months 11 days ago
s7edgep0wer

Are there any options to display more toggles on the quick settings menu? I am not a fan of the 3 page sliding layout to see all the toggles. Having all toggles on one page nice and compact. There’s so much empty white space on the screen now with further taps to get where I want. It is a step in the wrong direction.

jordanww
11 months 11 days ago
jordanww

I think 720p would have a performance effect on the GPU making games smoother. But who knows well have to wait for the official version so some benchmarking can be done.

ShivamChatak
11 months 12 days ago
ShivamChatak

Now that’s a feature that should definitely come to Galaxy S6.

o0MHJ0o
11 months 12 days ago
o0MHJ0o

No, because they had this on the Note7 and battery life hardly changed. they managed to squeeze and extra few minutes on average, not hours. That was on 1080p I think, Not sure how 720p will effect it but certainly not going all the way down to that just for a better battery life. Quick charge is there for a reason, lol

Grapir
11 months 12 days ago
Grapir

Not sure…there are many speed tests that disproves those gains in performance. Regarding battery life, in theory we should get some improvements however there´s still no real evidence. @Sammobile could you do a conparison tests.

Armanb
11 months 12 days ago
Armanb

Does this feature make these advantages by turning off the pixel or not, by rendering???

lilmoe
11 months 12 days ago
lilmoe

Please go in more detail on how much you gain in performance and battery life. I would be nice if you make a *web browsing battery test* using SBrowser in QHD vs 720p (to make the difference more dramatic), AND an app opening test to test performance. I’m particularly interested in performance vs normal modes, but please choose one and don’t change it for the test.

wpDiscuz