SamMobile has affiliate and sponsored partnerships. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

SoftBank CEO wants a strategic alliance between Samsung and ARM

Business
By 

Last updated: September 23rd, 2022 at 07:40 UTC+02:00

We recently reported that although Samsung and SK Hynix were among the front runners in the acquisition of the UK-based chip designer ARM, Samsung may back out of this race because of antitrust issues and the increased acquisition price. The latest report now suggests that SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son is seeking a strategic alliance between SoftBank-owned ARM and Samsung.

As per a report from Business Korea, Masayoshi Son said in a statement on September 21, “I intend to visit Korea. I’m looking forward to visiting Korea for the first time in three years. I’d like to talk with Samsung about a strategic alliance with Arm.” Apparently, he is expected to visit Seoul in October this year. There were no further details provided by SoftBank regarding this visit or what the “strategic alliance” would entail.

A consortium model where multiple companies would invest in ARM will be great for the ecosystem

ARM is a chip designing company whose IP powers over 90% of the smartphone chips in the industry across the globe. SoftBank acquired ARM in 2016 for $32 billion USD, grabbing a 75% stake in the company, with the remaining 25% owned by the group’s Vision Fund. Before Samsung, it was Nvidia, a US software and chip design company, which attempted to acquire ARM in 2020. However, the transaction failed in February 2022 due to regulatory hurdles and antitrust issues.

Industry sources reveal that Son might recommend Samsung’s equity investment in ARM instead of a direct acquisition. SoftBank has been seeking an IPO for ARM on the New York Stock Exchange by the end of March 2023. However, the UK government, where ARM is headquartered, wants SoftBank to list ARM on the London Stock Exchange. Apart from Samsung and Nvidia, there have also been reports of a consortium model with several companies being part of a group that would invest in Arm.

Business ARMSK HynixSouth KoreaUKUSA
Load 1 comments

You might also like

Carrier-locked Galaxy S22 gets October 2022 security update as well

Earlier today, Samsung released the October 2022 security update to the unlocked Galaxy S22 units in the US. Now, the update is rolling out to the Galaxy S22’s carrier-locked version, too. The latest software update for carrier-locked versions of the Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22+, and the Galaxy S22 Ultra bumps up the firmware version to […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 56 mins ago

Galaxy S21 is also getting the October 2022 security update in the US

Earlier today, Samsung released the October 2022 security update to the Galaxy S22 series in the US. That’s quite strange, as the US models are usually the last to get new updates. The South Korean firm has now released a new security update to the Galaxy S21 series in the US. Galaxy S21 October 2022 […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 3 hours ago

Has Verizon really released stable Android 13 update to the Galaxy S22?

Samsung is currently testing the third One UI 5.0 beta version on the Galaxy S22 series. However, Verizon claims on its website that it has already released the stable Android 13 update to the Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22+, and the Galaxy S22 Ultra. The carrier even published the complete One UI 5.0 changelog and screenshots […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 5 hours ago

Galaxy S22 is the first Android phone to get the October 2022 security update

Once again, Samsung is the first Android OEM to release a new security update. Three days before the start of October, the South Korean firm has released the October 2022 security update to its flagship smartphone series. The update is rolling out now in the US to the unlocked version of the Galaxy S22. The […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 7 hours ago

Galaxy S20 One UI 5.0 beta is almost live, but BTS Edition devices can’t join

The Galaxy S20 was among the first smartphones to enter the One UI 5.0 beta stages of development, except it was all done behind closed doors. Fortunately for Galaxy S20 customers in South Korea, Samsung is now almost ready to test the One UI 5.0 beta firmware on the Galaxy S20 lineup nationwide with the […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 21 hours ago

Samsung Tizen has become the most popular smart TV platform in the USA

A new survey targeting the US consumer market reveals that Samsung’s Tizen is the most popular OS (operating system) for smart TVs in the USA, followed by other platforms like Roku, LG’s WebOS, Amazon’s Fire TV, and Vizio SmartCast. Within the 74% of TV-owning households in the USA, 88% of TV users rely on the […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 2 days ago