[Poll Results!] How would you rate Samsung’s update policy at this point in time?

Samsung’s firmware update policy has always left a lot to be desired, as we’ve expressed time and again, but the company has been making some sincere efforts lately. It was surprisingly efficient in setting up the Galaxy Beta Program for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge and subsequently releasing the firmware for both handsets. Its monthly security updates need to be applauded as well. So if this has been something which has irked you in the past, vote below and let us know how you rate Samsung’s update policy at this point in time and share with us in the comments the improvements you think it can make.

Results: We find, rather unsurprisingly, that 55 percent of all those who voted in this poll would only rate Samsung’s update policy as 1 star. However, 34 percent feel that Samsung needs to make significant improvements to its policy. Only 10 percent feel that Samsung’s update policy has been considerably improved.

How would you rate Samsung's update policy at this point in time?

• 1 Star. I think the update policy is flawed and needs an overhaul (55%, 2,252 Votes)
  • 3 Stars. I think significant improvements need to be made (34%, 1,404 Votes)
  • 5 Stars! I think Samsung has made considerable improvement (10%, 421 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,077

Loading ... Loading ...

Polls 97

Digarch
5 months 26 days ago
Digarch

Samsung’s update policy is appalling and fragmented. I’m using the Samsung galaxy S6 edge+ and I’m still on Android 6.0.1

Channel42x
6 months 1 day ago
Channel42x

Still on 6.0.1 on my S7 edge with the december security update.
It’s an unlocked carrier free G935F for crying out loud.
Just roll out the update & we good, Shamesung.

Diamond2610
6 months 4 days ago
Diamond2610

Where is the 6.0 (Marshmallow) for my Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016)?? You keep releasing Security Updates but still keep your devices up to date.

RogerieS7Edge
6 months 4 days ago
RogerieS7Edge

I update by flashing firmware. If you wait for OTA update it will take forever to arrive.

street675
6 months 5 days ago
street675

Applaud monthly security updates? why should i? My S7 didn’t get monthly security updates. Samsung skip 2 or 3 months. Still on december 2016, still no Nougat. Never Samsung phone again. At launch they promised fast updates. They didn’t deliver.

Liamesque
6 months 9 days ago
Liamesque

I bought my S7 edge in the Samsung Shop in France and I’m still waiting on the Nougat firmware update!
I don’t understand why Orange and SFR deployment started months ago on their S7 edges but Samsung themselves are so far behind… 🙁

assassin2se7en
6 months 10 days ago
assassin2se7en

Bad

6 months 12 days ago
Kevin Borkloe

❤Still love you samsung❤
But please please please release the update for Ukraine for my S7 edge this month pleeaasseee….

ALBERTGO
6 months 12 days ago
ALBERTGO

Singapore Samsung S7 edge, still waiting for Nougat 7.00000………..

What is your problem? Do it better.

MirceaForce
6 months 17 days ago
MirceaForce

samsung france s7 unclocked still waiting….

alex fabiano mendes
6 months 17 days ago
alex fabiano mendes

Essa samsung mas que demora para atualizar o galaxy s6 para o nougat 7.0

kikoexe
6 months 18 days ago
kikoexe

my wife’s galaxy a9 (non pro) has been stuck on sept 1, 2016 security patch. c’mon samsung.. don’t tell me you’ve abandoned it that quickly..

Artim
6 months 19 days ago
Artim

…which update policy? Do you mean the catastrophy that they where (one of) the last OEMs to roll out Nougat on any of their devices?

Celso09
6 months 19 days ago
Celso09

It may not be very well, but it definitely does not outweigh Asus and Lenovo in incompetence on this issue. And here in Brazil, LG is not saved, either.

6 months 19 days ago
Daban Abbas

Unlocked s7 edge and still waiting for 7.0

n900mixalot
6 months 19 days ago
n900mixalot
Samsung is just inconsistent is all. Like these poll answer choices… Who wrote them? A few things I have noticed are, when a new device comes out, they stop updating old ones for a period of time clearly to force the upgrade. Also, my Note Edge is on Verizon and I am on 6.0.1 January 2017 security update. It’s a pretty old device so why does it have newer security than newer phones? I’m not complaining with this one though … Finally, carriers and Samsung desiring to appeal to carriers creates a situation where Samsung is unable to keep up… Read more »
yannick930
yannick930

I’m still waiting for the global firmware updates. Samsung is big enough now. They can ask carriers to not mess with their phones like the Pixel and the iphone.

Samsung has to put more money on their Android team.

assassin2se7en
assassin2se7en

Very bad and tooo late update for flagships . My s7 edge iraq firmware don get nougat yet ..

mantaka
mantaka

They have just to many shitty phones. Why don’t they have 1 good 1 medium 1 hight end and maybe 1 premium (note 8 that would have it all all the damn features you can put in the phone, I rly don’t care about te price that much until its rly the best phone money can buy). And do like US region update/EU/Asia ant so on. Not f country… I’am still on MM with S7E… older phones can wish about Nougat, maybe in summer lol

Acorns
Acorns

Still on October security patch on my S6…. Pants

alongmann
alongmann

Two months after Samsung started rolling the S7 edge Nougat I’m still waiting… it seems that some regions money is less worth for Samsung than others…

ido156012

galaxy s6 owner
still waiting for my nougat update

jstath72
jstath72

Galaxy S7 owner
and still waiting for the nougat update…

redgumtv
redgumtv

Samsung is only partly to blame for perceived late software updates. The problem lays with blogs and others like Sammobile who raise expectations for new software within weeks of any change. You can bet by the end of April Sammobile will be hankering for the next major update. Of course, if you think all this hype about updates is worthy of good journalism just take this comment with “a pinch of salt”. Many I talk to are quite underwhelmed by the latest 6 to 7 update.The changes were minimal.

zakmza123
zakmza123
All the comments are saying Samsung sucks but not why. I have over 10 Samsung devices and only 2 get updates even though half of mine are only 2 years old. For example I have a note 10.1 2012 edition US variant and never got kit Kat which makes the tab usable again according to the entire world that got the update except the millions in the US. Also, aside from carrier bs, regional updates. Cut that Samsung it just makes things more complicated. Apply regional changes in the app store not the device software. That allows unity in developing… Read more »
robbuerkle
robbuerkle

Samsung has completely thrown unlocked US purchasers to the curb. Security updates once every 3 to 4 months. No Nougat in sight. Never again will I pay for a Samsung device, let alone pay a premium for an unlocked device for which I was told would be supported above and beyond the carrier branded version in this regard. And I’m not alone. The US Samsung Support forums have blown up about update issues.

dallas90733
6 months 18 days ago
dallas90733

You are correct, I think it’s a way of helping carries gain more customers, by having the unlocked version wait for updates! I was thinking about the S8 plus for my next phone, think I’ll hold off until I see what the Google Pix-2 have to offer.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o
Same here for the EU version, I bought the S6 edge+ unlocked (Samsung’s most expensive flagship to date) with the idea that the uncarrier version would be first for updates. I was wrong. Irritating on my previous phone before that my carrier was last in the UK to send out the updates; but with the edge+ it was one of the first, and I had to wait for the BTU unlocked MM update to arrive. I still flashed the Spanish unlocked version because I could, but I shouldn’t have to. unlocked is unlocked. should be universal updates for those devices.… Read more »
pjm1891
pjm1891

I like Samsung, but their idea of a software update is buy a new device.

Celso09
6 months 19 days ago
Celso09

LG is much worse in this respect.
The K10 2016 came with Android 6.0, and the K10 2017 came with Android 7.0. And the previous model has no prospect that will be updated.
Not to mention that there are conversations that the G4 and the V10, of the same time of Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Note 5, will not receive Android Nougat.

wpDiscuz