Sprint Galaxy Note 5 specs include microSD card slot; has Samsung had a change of heart?

Samsung’s Galaxy S6 and S6 edge were met with strong criticism earlier this year when both devices were revealed without microSD card slots. It was at that time that quite a few Samsung faithful were hoping that Samsung wouldn’t do the same thing to the Note lineup, with some saying “I’m going to LG” if Samsung took away the microSD card slot on the Note 5. We’ve leaked a number of images here at SamMobile that show the microSD card slot has disappeared, but a new document continues to tease about the presence or lack of a microSD card slot in the upcoming device.

The source link below has found a document from US carrier Sprint that details the specs of the Galaxy Note 5 (with model number SM-N920P) and the device shows 32GB of storage with the word “yes” beside “external memory slot.” In addition, the microSD card slot will leave room for up to 128GB of expandable storage. Coupled with the 32GB of internal storage, users can expect at least 160GBs of storage should they purchase a microSD card with the maximum storage allotted.

The same Sprint document also details that the Note 5 will come with Android 5.1 Lollipop pre-loaded, alongside of the same 5MP front camera and 16MP back camera we’ve seen on the Galaxy S6, S6 edge, and AT&T-exclusive Galaxy S6 Active, and Bluetooth 4.2 support. The screen resolution remains at Quad HD in the new model, so the legitimacy or illegitimacy of the document could indicate that a 4K resolution is out of the question for the new device. As for the model number, it matches the same model number we’ve seen for the Note 5 that will head to Verizon and AT&T in the coming days.

The document seems legitimate, but the concept also seems a bit strange: after all, Samsung’s decision to press forward with UFS 2.0 makes the concept of the microSD card slot incompatible with the company’s cutting-edge specs. There’s always the possibility that Samsung could make UFS 2.0 and a microSD card slot work together. Samsung could be offering the microSD card slot for certain models, but the company seems to have a uniform plan for its devices. With that said, if the document is legitimate, Samsung could be reneging on its decision to press forward with UFS 2.0, at least for the time being. Some of our readership may decide to “go buy LG” anyway, but at least Samsung could be trying to please its customer base. At the same time, the reference to “Qualcomm” and not Samsung’s homegrown, Exynos processor could indicate that this page is just a placeholder for the new device (especially since 3GB of RAM is mentioned instead of 4GB), not the final spec sheet for Samsung’s productivity beast.

What say you, Samsung Note faithful? Will Samsung’s decision to place a microSD card slot on the Galaxy Note 5 influence your decision to buy the device? Are you still planning to “buy LG” even if Samsung has a change of heart?

Sprint Galaxy Note 5 placeholder

Via

Phones 83

APCO
APCO

SD card and removable battery are expected for any Note user , this is an important point.
Another point is mentioned here is RAM , Why not 4 GB ????
Now the most important point : Watching how poorly Note 3 is supported right now and the lack of updates and fixes , I think I will go for LG. I am a Note user since beginning , but it is not only the name !!

kronicle

Hey that’s a great idea!!! :DDD ……go buy LG phone, before they start using Samsung’s UFS 2.0 Memory!!! ;-P ……and we’ll all be laughing at your lame slow…. LG phone still using eMCC memory instead!!!

btw….. that 3GB ram for Note 5 has already been proven to be bogus. Unless carriers are buying them with less and some more! …..and dude? LG will indeed be using UFS 2.0 Memory. So what are you going to say then??? haha…..

robertkoa
robertkoa

I don’t understand the Concept of a SD Card slowing down the entire Phone.
Software can overcome this.
Obviously the read/write speed to SD Storage is slower than Internal Memory as is Cloud Storage but a Buffer/Software interface will enable SD Storage without affecting other functions.

kronicle
It create a bottleneck, that’s like a herd of elephants trying to get through a gate meant for sheep!!! ….. it’s that simple. But… if you want the complex answer, any vendor that uses UFS 2.0 memory will need to opt for one memory controller or the other. Both the UFS 2.0 memory controller and eMMC memory controller can only control it’s own memory type. That’s because UFS 2.0 Memory is multilane simultaneous read/write like a Sata Drive on your PC. You can expect to use a Sata interface to control an old PC hard drive or visa versa. There… Read more »
kronicle
I now doubt this is legit unless they are offering two models of Note 5. Samsung was manufacturing both 3GB LPDDR4 ram memory in an ePOP module with 32GB UFS 2.0 memory and two months later, they were also manufacturing 4GB LPDDR4 memory in a 64GB UFS 2.0 Memory in an ePOP module. What phone is that last one for then? Certainly not for a customer’s device! So something’s fishy here and no doubt this document is easy to change info on to make it look like an SD card slot was installed. The only way they could do this,… Read more »
tpeter
tpeter

NO 4GB RAM = NO need new Note NO SD slot = NO need new Note NO removable battery = NO need new Note NO Infrared blaster = NO need new Note

Deliximus
Deliximus

I don’t care if it has it or not anymore. RELEASE THE BEAST!

NULUSIOS
NULUSIOS

I am of those people that want microSD and removable battery and any and all geek features that differenciate it from “fashion phones”. (won’t analyze why, in this topic)
That said I bet you the document found might be real but still A PLACEHOLDER.
They just copied a ready made page and changed some basic data.

why do you think that?

NULUSIOS
NULUSIOS

Hunch? Experience and educated opinion? It has happened before, I’ve seen it many times. 🙂
Actually I would do it – and have done it. It’s easy. You copy a relative page, you change some basic info (pending verification or NDA expiration) and just see how it looks. Easy.

HFL087
HFL087
from blue prints i seen month ago. it got sd 100% , but im not sure if they move it to they side of the phone. if there sd i would upgrade from my SM G900H to Note 5. no sd , no buy i dont care much about the battery if it’s removable or not and all users that like “why sd!? lol” 87% of samsung and LG users. that got brain in there head, know’s the phone’s got APP2SD protocol , that allow move heavy apps to SD , for saving memory , it’s life saveing for me.… Read more »
tsabrak
tsabrak

How long it would take to change build in faulty battery? On my old galaxy S2 battery died after one year. I’ve bought a new one for £20 and changed it myself. If my note5 battery would die same way and it would be built in then how long will I have to wait left without my phone to get it replaced and how much it would that cost me? Is my data will be safe in someone else’s hands? My passwords, accounts, messages, pictures, videos, contacts can be stolen if my phone will end up in wrong hands.

gtone339
gtone339

Would be great for Samsung to make a revise version of the UFS tech, aka UFS 2.1 w/ backwards compatibility support for various micro-sd card cards out there.

Like to see the S7 have micro-sd card support! 🙂

kronicle
That would be nice, but you can’t use one controller on both the single channel eMMC Flash memory in a MicroSD slot and the UFS 2.0 Memory with dual channels (simultaneous Read/Write) multiple lanes on ramp to PCIe Bus. It’s either one or the other. The only possible way to get it to work is by having a MicroSD slot wired into the MicroUSB port. Like as if it’s an external drive…. like in a MicroUSB Reader in MicroUSB Port or Power Pack or case with external reader. Some will of course do that if there’s room, but again why… Read more »
TheSparda
TheSparda
What’s the big deal about SD cards? They are only good for storing more photos and other mdeia related stuff, but you can’t really use it to move most apps. I want more space to download more apps like I can on the iphone 6 128 GB or S6 128 GB. I was actually glad that the S6 provided such capacity, and I could download a lot more apps into the phone. Could this mean that the capacity is going to remain at 32 GB, or perhaps 64 GB max with SD expansion? C’mon Sammy, I still want the 128… Read more »
HFL087
HFL087

i tell you. samsung and LG. use APP2SD protocol . it let u move heavy apps to SD Storage. it’s a life saver for alot of users, that are pro! , but some users use it for photos/doc/mp3 etc.. . i wouldnt buy any phone of samsung that dosnt got SD. i dont care about battery only About SD. SO NOT ALL USERS ARE LIKE U!

kronicle
Apparently they figured out a work around in the way the slot is wired directly into the USB port wiring. This solves the problem of the UFS 2.0 Dual Channel Memory incompatibility problems. Plus Note 5 is bigger so they have more room on them. Plus that ePOP Exynos “All in One” chip can still operate totally sandboxed away from those inferior M$ FAT and ex-FAT cretin formats. If M$ wasn’t on the SD Association board, they wouldn’t be stuck in the dark ages of file systems! But cool for those who now don’t have an excuse not to buy… Read more »
JeremyBelpois
JeremyBelpois

That’s cool to know that there’s extra places to solder USB connections (Need to find them In my Note 4)

kronicle
lol….. that’s an eleven pin connector and you better be sure your tracing the proper wires to the board! 😀 ……and it only takes one wrong connection to kill it!!! lol…. You also have to clean the connections thoroughly before attempting to solder anything on any phone. What this basically does is simply eliminate having to use an MicroSD reader MicroUSB adapter port! But you’ve got an SD slot on your phone and a MicroUSB reader. So what’s your point, when these super small readers better? To void your warranty… and kill your phone maybe ‘eh? ahahaha…… and hope they’ll… Read more »
Jdzspace

If this is true, and i REALLY hope that it is. I will be getting my Note 5 very soon……but I don’t know if i can bear to part with my Note 4…..maybe i’ll keep both.

excitement aside, how do you know this for sure? Don’t get me wrong, i want you to be right. but how do you now? seems like it would be a bigger story if what you say is true.

please let it be true 🙂

tpeter
tpeter

NOTE 5 without 4GB RAM , INFRARED blaster , removable battery , micro sd slot is real failure

Ray Yarrell
Ray Yarrell

This probably is only a place holder from last year there is no reason for Samsung to go back to Sdcard usage.

Like it or not for those who claim to go elsewhere then they better leave you weren’t real Samsung users anyway.

I will be purchasing the Note5 and S6EdgePlus regardless of no sdcard or removable battery it’s the best period

JeremyBelpois
JeremyBelpois

The Note smartphones are made for power users not design sheeps so Samsung is likely to keep SD Cards for Note smartphones because the Notes are their worthy part of their incomes so think about speaking about Notes in 2014 for the Note 4 the SD Card was likely to disappear but Samsung did keep it !

Jdzspace

i’m sorry, what exactly is a real Samsung user? I’ve gotten about 8 mobile devices including TV and fridge and washing machine from Samsung. how much does it take to qualify as a “real” samsung user? lol

Ray Yarrell
Ray Yarrell

We all have Samsung TV’s and other appliances that’s nothing new and we all have various other Samsung handsets that already have sdcard and removable battery capabilites that’s exactly my direct point.

The Galaxy Note 5 as well as the S6EdgePlus doesn’t have to be like the past products these are new and Samsung reserves the right to change products or features in products as they see fit.

Either you roll with Samsung or you step to the left that’s pretty much plain and simple.

Jdzspace

Or option 3, you complain and gripe to anyone who will listen. and if enough people do it to where Samsung feels like it will not only damage the sales of a product but also the reputation of said product, they are forced to change to the will of the customers.

because you see, they are in a service industry. They don’t tell us what we want, we tell them what we want. and we vote with our wallets. at the end of the day, we have the power.

kronicle
Actually you are both wrong to a point. Samsung not just a services company. They are a behemoth end to end hardware innovator to services company and that’s just one segment of their over 80 company and business conglomerate as the largest Chaebol in South Korea! But on top of having the largest end to end manufacturing capabilities in the World, they are also a services oriented Conglomerate from Banking, Insurance to software developer and yet by saying that, we’re still only skimming the surface. To be frank Apple is nothing more than a totally outsourced Services company. They make… Read more »
Jdzspace

and I can respect that, and appreciate that. But if they were to take away my SD card slot……then I just would be admiring them from afar. Because I just can’t do it. If the day comes that they really do drop it for good, that will be the day I part ways with them as far as smartphones are concerned.

but this is not that day…….and i’m happy about that

richie007bond
richie007bond

No 4k screen means I’ll give the phone a miss, my note 4 has a qhd screen and it’s just not good enough for Gear VR besides if all the Note 5 has is a faster CPU and slightly enhanced camera then it’s not worth the upgrade for me personally.

Gaston95
Gaston95

UFS memory or not it wouldn’t be impossible for Samsung to include even 2 sdcard slots, I know what I’m talking about and also Know the presence of a microsd slot will make all the difference and let this device to win back some users. we all know the GS6 hasn’t sold as it was expected while the iphone 6 has, I already answered this latter..Question…..?

JeremyBelpois
JeremyBelpois

Samsung is likely to improve UFS in a UFS 2.5 (an upgraded version that sports MicroSD compatibility) if then tey will solder the MicroSD Slot into the extra USB contacts on the motherbaord to make it SD compatible

datajosh
datajosh

The RDF for the S6 says the same thing and it has no MicroSD card slot.

dnsp
dnsp

This UFS thing is an invention from Sammobile. SDcards will not slow down your device. It will have a slower access than UFS when requested, that’s all. Imagine a top computer with i7 lots of RAM, SSD, etc and a SDcard reader with an inserted card. Would the pc become slow? I don’t think so…
Lack of SDcard is just an excuse to go the Apple way and rip off people. Samsung builds their own memory chips, so they are cheaper to them than to, say, HTC, yet they charge 100€ for 32GB of storage increment.

kronicle
Sorry, but as of yet you can not buy UFS memory separate from the devices it’s embedded in. In this case, we’re talking about, an as yet used by any manufacturer ePOP “All in ONE” SoC chip. Meaning it’s all embedded on top of the SoC for fastest i/O bandwidth and incredibly energy efficiency. Beyond anything we’ve ever seen on a mobile device to date. It’s as direct of i/O bandwidth you can possibly get: “In terms of speed, UFS 2.0 comes in two types – HS-G2 allows for a bandwidth of 5.8Gbps, while HS-G3 has a peak bandwidth of… Read more »
Jdzspace
ok, well. I’m happy that it has SD storage. and since I don’t do anything you mentioned and I use it to store the things I need in my life/business/hobbies, I will never experience what you are talking about. and by the way……just stop with the whole “it will be too expensive” nonsense. it doesn’t work when apple people do it, it’s just sad when you try to do it. you can get any phone on the market, ANY phone on the market for $0 down from ANY carrier. the difference between a $749 phone or a $1049……is about $10… Read more »
Magomat
Magomat

Buy Samsung flagships for one reason.
The SD card and removeble battery
If the d’ont do thuis anymore i will change from brand.

andres ross
andres ross

The note 5 should not look like a larger S6 that’s what the S6 edge+ is for…if the note don’t have what u guys are complaining about in my opinion I think it will still be a great fone…My S6 is a beast so if it have some S6 features that’s cool with me

Trotemus
Trotemus

The reason is clear, people want a micro SD card slot. In fact they can do this with a design similar to the Galaxy s6’s as they can create a draw like a sim card slot but for the SD card slot. They want design and functionality!!!!

chiebai_13
chiebai_13

It may not be important to others, but for me, I would very much like to have the micro SD slot and removable battery on the new note 5. =)

cloud1

If the note 5 doesn’t have an micro sd slot or removable battery then the only differentiator is the stylus that I suspect not everybody uses anyway.

insydexvi
insydexvi

what if it doesnt, would you still buy one? : )

mikeyaj
mikeyaj

nope. i want one

q8peace
q8peace

sd card slot maybe only for sprint variant maybe they wont using ufs

insydexvi
insydexvi

I think they will not make special version a sd card slot only available for Sprint. That would be totally unfair to others

dudeman456
dudeman456

Companies have been making special version phones for Sprint for a long time, and they will more now than ever. This is not to say that Samsung is doing such a thing here, but it has happened in the past for Sprint as well as other carriers.

UO88
UO88

You people are insane. Why does an SD card have so much power over you? I dare you to go 1 month without one. You will see you DO NOT NEED ONE. Pics auto backup. Music can be stored on Google, and downloaded to the phone for offline listening. You do not use that many apps daily that you need to keep them all installed. There is no reason you NEED an SD card. I have a feeling that most of the people complaining are trolls. It does not make sense otherwise.

Jdzspace
well, as it stands. I have about 20 GB left on my Note 4. which has a 128GB SD card in it at this moment. I have some songs and videos. But most of what i have on their is either work related and/or personal studying. so i’m just supposed to downgrade and take things off of my phone that I don’t want to take off of my phone, that i haven’t had to take off of my phone previously because Samsung decided to take something away from loyal users of it’s devices? I’m sorry, that is insane in and… Read more »
Gaston95
Gaston95

Don’t worry man, after all complains , Samsung cannot have missed what is mentioned every single time , we’ll have our sdcard slot..

UO88
UO88
Maybe you’re just an exception, but it still boggles my mind that someone needs that much stuff on a phone. Phones should not be your only device to store your things. Do you honestly use all of that stuff all the time? Is it that much of a problem to put it on the cloud and download it when you need it? Basically I’m just sick of people saying they will not get one of the best smartphones in the world just because of a simple SD card. I don’t think people realize that they can go without having an… Read more »
Jdzspace
See that is the rub, do I need all that’s on my phone all the time. No, of course not. But I don’t know what I will need and what I won’t need. I’ll need some today, and something different tomorrow, or the day after. why should I have to pay or even if it’s free, why should i have to submit my stuff to a cloud server that I only have access to when the cloud says it’s ok? Something about not having access when I want it doesn’t sit right with me, even if most of the time… Read more »
mircury
mircury

The Note series is aimed at power users and we need SD card functionality. I take lots of 4k video and pictures and have tons of movies. 64gb of internal storage is laughable. Personally, I got a full size sd card adapter for my note 3 and have a 256gb sd card in mine. I don’t want to be forced into the Apple mentality where they tell you what’s good for you and it’s forced on everyone.

UO88
UO88
I had a note 4 until it broke. I currently have an S6. I take 4K videos all the time too. I just offload them to my computer when I start getting full. It’s really not that hard. When I had an S4, I took out the SD card because it caused my phone to not work. I went like 6 months without it and didn’t miss it one bit. I got one for my Note 4 because I could, but didn’t really need it. Now with my S6, I don’t miss it either. Maybe it’s because I have unlimited… Read more »
Ruturaj001
Ruturaj001

Pics auto backup is okay, but your point about apps and music doesn’t make a very good sense, but 32gb internal would be enough for apps and music, I guess.

UO88
UO88

What do you mean by it doesn’t make much sense?

darooz
darooz

microsd is a must have if you listen to FLAC music and be able to record hd videos.
32gb (minus OS used storage) is not enough for apps flacs and video recording.
a 128gb internal would be enough but those are not sold in some countries. in sweden for an example. to go from note 3 to 5 might be a good idea. but from 4 to 5.. maybe, maybe not.

milhous2
milhous2

Only will buy new Samsung if they have sdcard as a option and better screen specs / ram.

tpeter
tpeter

NO 4GB RAM = NO need new Note
NO SD slot = NO need new Note
NO removable (4000) battery = NO need new Note
NO Infrared blaster = NO need new Note

Ruturaj001
Ruturaj001

Depends 3GB DDR4 != 3 GB DDR3
UFS 2.0 > EMMC 5.0
for few 4000 mah battery is enough
Yes for some infrared blaster is important but not for everyone

wpDiscuz