SamMobile has affiliate and sponsored partnerships. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn a commission.

News For You
News For You
Notifications

140,000 Galaxy Note 7s have not been returned yet in South Korea

Phone
By 

Last updated: December 20th, 2016 at 08:54 UTC+01:00

The Galaxy Note 7 return percentage has gone above 90 percent in most markets across the globe but that isn't the case in Samsung's home country where the return rate stands at 85 percent. According to a new report, there are around 140,000 Galaxy Note 7 units currently being used in South Korea. This presents a challenge to Samsung that's hoping to finish the exchange and refund program for the Galaxy Note 7 by the end of this year.

Samsung sold more than 950,000 Galaxy Note 7 units in South Korea and even though 85 percent of all devices have been returned, the remaining 15 percent continue to post a safety risk to users. Samsung has been pushing Galaxy Note 7 holdouts elsewhere by cutting off network access, reducing battery charge limit to 30 percent and even remotely bricking the device. Samsung may not take similar measures in South Korea due to the fact that the return rate is already low comparatively. An industry source mentioned in the report predicts that if Samsung was to remotely brick the Galaxy Note 7 in South Korea it would cause “a strong backlash” from owners.

The company continues to extend its exchange and refund program deadline for customers in South Korea to ensure that no units remain on the street. Samsung is expected to start discussions with mobile carriers in the country about how and when to end the program once the rate of return picks up.

Via Phone Galaxy Note 7
Galaxy AI summarized

Scroll for more related content
News For You

You might also like

Galaxy S25 Ultra is inspired by the Galaxy Note 7 in one way

Galaxy S25 Ultra is inspired by the Galaxy Note 7 in one way

It was widely rumored that Samsung would bring significant changes to the Galaxy S25, both internally and externally. It has already been revealed that major camera upgrades are coming to the Galaxy S25 Ultra. Now, some tidbits about the phone's external design have been revealed, and it is good news for those who didn't like […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 2 weeks ago
Galaxy Note 7 fiasco might have given Oppo an important employee

Galaxy Note 7 fiasco might have given Oppo an important employee

Samsung and Oppo recently found themselves competing in the foldable phone market even though they barely operate in the same regions. However, OnePlus is an Oppo subsidiary representing its parent company in the foldable phone segment outside China. OnePlus's first Z Fold-like foldable device called ‘Open' is essentially the same Oppo Find N3 announced for […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 9 months ago
Samsung no longer shies from remembering the Galaxy Note 7

Samsung no longer shies from remembering the Galaxy Note 7

Samsung doesn't pretend like the Galaxy S23 Ultra isn't the spiritual successor to the now-canceled Galaxy Note series. The company embraced this identity, and in some of its online stores for key regions, it even dedicated an entire “Upgrade your Galaxy Note” section on Galaxy S23 Ultra landing pages. In this section dedicated to Galaxy […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 1 year ago
Samsung’s tomb of lost features is now looking sadder than ever

Samsung’s tomb of lost features is now looking sadder than ever

Samsung has removed a lot of features from its flagship products over the years.

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 3 years ago
Galaxy S10+ screen protector almost perfectly fits a Galaxy Note 7

Galaxy S10+ screen protector almost perfectly fits a Galaxy Note 7

Remember the Galaxy Note 7? The last of Samsung's flagship smartphones with the traditional home button and big bezels met an unfortunate early demise, and the company moved on to the Galaxy S8 and introduced us to the Infinity display, which threw away most of that bezel and the home button for a higher screen-to-body […]

  • By Abhijeet Mishra
  • 6 years ago
Here’s some explosive news: Galaxy Note 7 just got certified with Oreo

Here’s some explosive news: Galaxy Note 7 just got certified with Oreo

Samsung hasn't yet been able to release the Android 8.0 Oreo update for the one flagship it was able to fall back on when the Galaxy Note 7 met its untimely demise, but someone at the company sure had enough time to test Oreo on the discontinued Note 7 and send it to the Wi-Fi […]

  • By Abhijeet Mishra
  • 6 years ago