Latest Bixby update completely kills the Bixby key if it is disabled

Home / News / Latest Bixby update completely kills the Bixby key if it is disabled

Samsung is rolling out a new update for Bixby for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Note 8 today. The company had implemented an option to disable the Bixby key from firing up Bixby Home nearly two months ago, putting an end to the misery faced by many users. Samsung is making things even more permanent with the latest update: The Bixby button will no longer even wake up the device when pressed.

Bixby button can finally be fully disabled

Some of you may not have noticed, but even after disabling the Bixby button, it did respond to a press and wake up the device. To be more precise, it was acting like the power button, resulting in the screen turning on accidentally at times. With the latest update, that’s no longer the case, and the Bixby button is not going to respond in any way for those who disable it from the Bixby settings.

Latest Bixby update completely kills the Bixby key if it is disabled

We’re not sure what else has changed, but Samsung has also updated the Bixby service that analyses saved contacts when a call command is issued to Bixby, so we’re hoping it will now be able to call up people whose names might be spelt a little differently. To grab these Bixby updates, open Galaxy Apps on your Galaxy S8, S8+, or Note 8, tap the three-dot button on the top right, tap My apps, followed by Update, and then the Update all button.

Have you disabled the Bixby key, or are you using Bixby enough to warrant the existence of the dedicated Bixby button?

Don't miss How to reactivate Bixby button on Galaxy smartphones

Bixby 23

Jashk@
3 months 17 days ago
Actually I sent back my new S8+ to my provider after 4 days. Not only because Bixby sucks, but mainly because the Google Assistant (OK Google) doesn’t work when Bixby is installed and the voice service is running (which is after each time I boot my phone). Google Assistant works in my native language (Dutch) where Bixby only speaks English, Korean, Chinese and Japanese. On top of that, I refuse to accept that Samsung dictates what I use the buttons on my €700 phone for! I’m a happy owner of the S7 Edge, which is somewhat smaller, but has nearly… Read more »
5 months 25 days ago
Claude Michon

Super facile de désactiver le bouton Bixby, je viens de le faire sur un S8+ et un S8

MaddKorben
6 months 21 days ago
MaddKorben

Updated the app but still don’t have an opportunity to disable that damn Bixby. What may be wrong for me? Phone: Note 8.

ianmacd
6 months 22 days ago
ianmacd

“…putting an end to the misery faced by many users.” Misery? Really? It’s just a phone. Get a grip.

Jashk@
3 months 17 days ago

Yep but is’a damn expensive phone. If Samsung wants to push something that should be at the same level as Google Assistant or Siri, they should come up with something good. If they want to dictate that I can only use the button for their Bixby partnering deal, I suggest they let $200 off the retail price.

Linkeddevices
6 months 22 days ago
Linkeddevices

It’s actually really good. There are a ton of people who now regret disabling it since those apps permanently break it. It started off a bit raw but it’s become a lot more practical than Google assistant which now actually seems gimmicky by comparison.

Who ever really wanted to ask their phone questions and talk to it? Bixby actually does things, automates sequences and uses up virtually zero resources.

martindale
6 months 23 days ago
martindale

Why is Samsung so precious about this button? If they want people to use it for Bixby, all they need to do is make Bixby so compelling that everybody will naturally want to use it for that purpose. Until that day, let them use it for whatever they want.

o0MHJ0o
6 months 23 days ago
o0MHJ0o

I liked that it acted as another power button when the screen is off! The device is so symmetrical, using my left I could easily turn the screen on

martik
martik

im a loyal samsung user and i have a galaxy s8 but this bixby is total crap. my friend got an iphone 6s and siri is morepowerful than bixby. the Siri recognize the words very clearly than bixby. so shame

wordsley

Samsung now should let people uninstall this crap…

ssking
ssking

Why can’t they fix the lag when swiping to Bixby on home screen

bludeff
bludeff

This update has done exactly that for me.

ssking
ssking

Still laggy on my device :/ which version of tw home you run?

bludeff
bludeff

6.1.58.5

ssking
ssking

Im using 6.1.78.0 with stock firmware QJ1 on my s8

Tim Furdui

Havent got this update as am in the BETA Oreo but Bixby has been redisigned in Oreo to look much better – so thats a step forward – hope they apply that design to all their apps

Leonardo29
Leonardo29

It is changed also in Nougat. Now is much better

martik
martik

if it doesn’t work well why do we need a deferent design at all?

PlumUkr
PlumUkr

I’d rather have it remapped as a back button for comfortable work while navigation bar is hidden

mantaka

This is so stupid. Make a hardware button and then make it completely useless? Good thing we have 3rd party apps that fix this problem and I love my tools button!

weihberg

Viel schöner wäre es wenn Bixby ENDLICH auch auf Deutsch erscheint

TurkishStyle
TurkishStyle

Well, why cant we just use the bixby button to fire up the camera instead of doble tap power button ?.

n900mixalot
6 months 22 days ago
n900mixalot

Samsung should make it fully customizable. Double, triple tap, long press, etc.

It’s a missed opportunity.