Samsung reacts on Storage accusations of the Galaxy S4

In the last few days there were accusations towards Samsung bout the internal storage capacity of the 16 GB version of the Galaxy S4.

It seems that when you have a 16GB model the system takes up almost 7 GB which means there is only 9 GB left. The 7 GB is taken up by Touchwizz and other BLOATware that comes with the phone.

This is issue about the little memory that is left over spread like fire over the internet, and Samsung comes with a response to this issue. The official statement says:

“For the Galaxy S4 16 GB model, approximately 6.85 GB occupies the system part of internal memory, which is 1 GB bigger than that of the Galaxy S3, in order to provide a high resolution display and more powerful features to our consumers. To offer the ultimate mobile experience to our users, Samsung provides a microSD slot on Galaxy S4 for extension of memory.”

Basicly Samsung says go get a Micro SD, but since Jelly Bean the support for Apps to SD is no longer there.  Did Samsung think about that ??!! The galaxy S4 is getting a lot more heat these days as you can read here.

Via/Source

Phones 32

standog100
standog100

i cant compromise on memory space,my friends s4 has 8.82gb internal storage out of the box,for me its 32gb or i decamp to htc one.i wonder why Samsung is hoarding the 32 n 64gb.

losteagle
losteagle

Bad defence from Samsung, insted of using an Octa core, where be more interesting for customers to raise the minimum size to 32GB, for all top smartphone. HTC One “docet” ….. 😉

mufaddal.ezzi
mufaddal.ezzi

So does this mean that the update of 4.2.2 for samsung galaxy note 2 will take 6.85GB..im currently having 11.25GB free space in 4.1.2..so if thats true I will be reduced to 7GB of free space after updating to 4.2.2 thats alot of memory taken

PLANET

No, man. Going with Samsung’s logic, Note II has ‘only’ HD (not Full HD), which means ‘lower’ (frankly, not much difference is seen from the dpi itself) resolution graphics which in turn means less data in system packages.
Or simply Note II isn’t that bloatwared.

Tho I have to agree with you on one thing: next update WILL take away space : P

mufaddal.ezzi
mufaddal.ezzi

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of..I hope they take less space as possible for 4.2.2

meycss
meycss

You can’t blame it on Jellybean. The file size to download for CM 10.1 firmware is 180 MB and the file size for S4 stock firmware is 2 GB.

gtone339
gtone339

For future Galaxy S Smartphones, the real ideal default internal storage size is 32gb!!

Wake up Samsung! Your drunk! 😆

standog100
standog100

i totally agree with you..

You mean NEAR future 😉

gtone339
gtone339

😆 SOON !!

igor.brasildroid
igor.brasildroid

I guess the best choice is buy the 64GB version + 64GB MicroSD.
128GB is a good space for everithing and turn it a perfect phone!

PLANET

32 would be good enough, IF it was available. 64? Yeah, keep dreamin’.

vbx
vbx
Moral of the store here folks is Android sucks. Android may have been okay 5 years ago, but in todays world where smartphones are more like computers, Android is just too limited. I have ICS on my 7.7 and you have to go through a 10 minute maze to find anything on the SD card. Let alone trying to save aps to it. Samsung should just release their FLAGSHIP devices in both Windows and Android and give us the option to choose. I would prefer the 7.7 tab with windows rt. Android is just gimmicky on the tablets. I could… Read more »
mikedallastx2
mikedallastx2

” leave FM for Network players, Leave no storage for better user experience “.
Samsung is Out of my buying list.I’m buying HTC One with 32GB for $199.00 .

Xperia Z > One any day 🙂

hafeezansar
hafeezansar

But S3 has FM Radio but S4 doesn’t have but it consumes more memory. wat a foolish smartphone. I don’t like it.

jluis859
jluis859

My s3 has 11.35Gb free memory 🙂

-SDW-
-SDW-

So does my Tab 2.

chris.0602.1999
chris.0602.1999

In most of the European countries only 16 gb are available. That’s kinda stupid. Samsung really should use 32 gb as standard or make the 32 gb more available in the market.

jcompagner
jcompagner
10GB for apps is for most people more then enough The SD cars shouldn’t be used for apps, why are people thinking that you should do that? Just use internal memory for app installs and the external memory for photo (i think the S4 camera can auto store everything into there if it detects an sd), muziek and video (and maybe more big data, so for example a offline mapping app should support setting it to the sd) I use it this way, i use my phone exactly as my laptop the SSD is for Apps, the HDD (i have… Read more »
PLANET

Well, generally right, tho making burst shots is much better to internal memory, while movies doesn’t differ that much. Single shots depend on the wanted time reaction 😉 Generally setting it to external IS better.
And oh, one CAN use external SD cards for apps, but mostly Class 2 and 4… funny enough, these on average have better random read and write, while sucking at sequential. Quite different as in faster (Class 6 and 10) cards. I recommend considering SanDisk (cheapest generic SanDisk Class 4 card – yes, you’ve read that right) 😀

javiermarino
javiermarino

For bringing to light this issue now if with other devices the same?
I’m using galaxy s2 internal memory 16 g and 11 g are to use
It is assumed that the s4 with more functions, support for more applications and android 4.2.2 must occupy more memory
When you do not buy a s4 reach 32 g 64 g

If you EVER find 32 or 64 GB version, that is! 😀

larry
larry

Quand on sort plein de modeles , on perd en qualité.

larry
larry

au lieu de sortir 10 000 modeles de portables à tout va , concentrez vous plutot sur des modeles phares pour sortir des téléphones abouti au niveau finition et hardware, prenez exemple sur le nouveau htc one, yen a marre du plastique.

sorg
sorg

Even in explanation they are lying. Right out of the box it’s only 8.06gb is free. If i remember right, around 11gb was free on SGS3 which is 3gb more!

florian18
florian18

oh man I hope soo much Samsung will sell a 32gb version at least, since we cant put apps to the sd card anymore 9gb would be a bad joke !

Ahmed Al Wakeel
Ahmed Al Wakeel

This can be solved by an app named Directory Bend….. but I don’t wan’t to root my device!!!

anozawa
anozawa

32GB should be standard.

igor.brasildroid
igor.brasildroid

Yes since Jelly Bean I think that too..²

Martin R.
Martin R.

Yes since Jelly Bean I think that too..

PLANET

Unless you root your phones and use an app… TitaniumBackup has some possibilities, to start off with some names.

wpDiscuz