Samsung explains why missing FM Radio on the Galaxy S4

Every Galaxy S has it, only the Galaxy S4 hasn’t we are talking about the FM Radio. Samsung decided not to bring the FM Radio application to the Galaxy S4. According to Samsung people listen more to online broadcast radio streams. (which costs data)
What do you think do you miss the feature of no FM Radio? Or do you listen as Samsung said, to own music and online streams?

GalaxyS49

Below the explanation by Samsung Russia.

Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. (translated from Russian).

via
source

Phones 72

adrian7077
3 years 19 days ago
adrian7077
I have to say F**k u samsung niggas for Even thinking that we didn’t need Radio n by Radio i mean FM Radio on These brick Phones of yours,….Bought this GT-i9305 S3 and i sold it if off and very cheaply btw just bcoz there was no FM Radio so f**k U Samsung niggaz, big tym,…..next time when your thinking of producing a f**kin huge brick phone for the market just remember to include An Fm radio Chip u sad worthless hommies,…………..Radio f**kers we need it remember its the same reason i didn’t buy iphones and thus samsung S4 shit… Read more »
reza zarchi
3 years 22 days ago
reza zarchi

it’s not acceptable for me…

radiofan
3 years 7 months ago
radiofan
I use the FM radio on my phones daily while at work. I excitedly bought a Galaxy S3 4G thinking it was my dream phone, then had to sell it for a loss when I discovered it didn’t have an FM radio. Bought an S3 3G instead. If there’s no FM radio, I won’t be buying it. I even went to the trouble of buying a Sony Ericsson R306 which has FM & AM radios (the only model I know of with AM) so I could listen to cricket coverage in summer. Podcasts are great for stories but nothing is… Read more »
mohab1220
4 years 6 hours ago
mohab1220

#yesradio #GalaxyS4

mohab1220
4 years 6 hours ago
mohab1220

let’s hope GT-I9506 with Snapdragon 800 has radio or even the new Exyone processor

jackee.chan
4 years 21 days ago
jackee.chan

I dont’ use FM as frequent but I still want it to be there. I still remember how I hate Nexus S for not having it when I need it. Im S3 now. Look forward S5

ehsannet
4 years 22 days ago
ehsannet

Galaxy S4 is perfect because it supports all capabilities and additional functionality such as the Infrared , led light and more ! But if the support of both the radio with record and dvb-h with record Then I would be willing to replace it with the my Galaxy S3.
Of course It was better supported than Java and supported of dual sim.

clourenc
4 years 1 month ago
clourenc
Poor decisions in my opinion. Phone is not cheap but Samsung is trying to get from customers some more bucks… I do not see any logic to spend my limited monthly data to listen online radio if alternative costs me nothing… And Samsung is trying to make the same mistake as apple? The people who buy a S4 is diferent who buy a Iphone and with this decisions probably loase clients for apple our HTC because they have radio FM in the One and a better finish. I wait a few months to by a new phone from Samsung if… Read more »
guiso98
4 years 1 month ago
guiso98

Bring FM Radio back…

Tonardus
4 years 2 months ago
Tonardus

For the lucky ones out there who not only have and can afford high speed broad band fair enough, but I like really do like FM and will not buy the S4 sorry. Same as I want Dual sim so end up with a cheaper Chinese copy which has it all and keep dreaming that once Samsung will wake up. Ah! and give me the right to get rid of the crap software I do not want nor need.

javase
javase
Let me place my opinion (explanation) about this issue, and i hope that this point of view is not far from what really happens. Also, please forgive me, if there will be some mistakes with my English! Let’s start explaining! Marketing is just maths and facts! Well the facts are: 1) Samsung kept winning the market when first invented AMOLED displays and the successful Humingbird 1GHz processor in 2009. So that makes SAMSUNG the leading company in producing high featured LCDs. 2) Samsung succeeded with Humingbird, due to high (power efficiency)/(battery consumption). That keeps enhanced year by year till now… Read more »
stone68
stone68

It’s too bad that Samsung decided to excluded the FM Radio in Samsung S4, I don’t think I would upgrade my samsung galaxy note II to S4 for that reason.. No matter what, the FM Radio really useful in certain conditions.

anozawa
anozawa

In Brazil we use FM radio since we don’t have Pandora. We also use when watching a football game. Fm narrations are awesome and give more excitement. So it is a cultural thing.
I have a Galaxy S3 with FM radio and Sony MW600 bluetooth headphones with FM radio included.
It’s nice to be able to record the audio from radios.
Poor decison from Samsung.

raf87
raf87

I think FM radio still important these days and that’s why I change my x10 to galaxy ace 2 because of its radio feature. not all fm radio has their own streaming and i don’t want to sacrifice my internet quota just for radio. after all, my internet connection in Indonesia is not as good as europe or US, not quite stable

So it is very unfortunate for flagship handset does not include fm radio for its feature

hafeezansar
hafeezansar

It is very sad news that FM is not there in S4.
now I won’t buy s4 instead of that I plan to buy HTC One.

ethibault
ethibault
This is a petty level decision on a premium device with so many useless bloatware removing a usefull feature is a fault. I just bought a Galaxy note II 4G and I must say I am disappointed coming from my Galaxy SII that the GN2 4G has no radio, and I would say radio connexion is not as good on the GN II 4G as on the Galaxy SII. so far I am disappointed, I will have to carry both phones, even on holiday when I wanted to dedite my SII to professionnal call and thus forget it during holidays,… Read more »
12ka4
12ka4

It is sad that FM is removed. Basics are getting removed 🙁

Won’t buy S4 now.

Time to switch to “Sony Xperia Z” now.

javase
javase

Yeaappp!

vbx
vbx

If Sony releases the Xperia Z mini, I’d be on it. I have no use for a 5″+ display.

ALFILCHAKA
ALFILCHAKA

just turn in and listen just for free, common you cant´forget the little things than make you great….. now the sIII(international version, with radio) sounds a little better than before…

elctro
elctro

After this S*, I have to have a second thought! No FM causes more data causes more money. and don’t forget when you are travelling abroad cause the data is not cheap in roaming!. F* your studies. I hope this is a removal of the FM radio app not the whole FM feature

#samsung #galaxy #galaxys4

PLANET
PLANET

Supposedly the chip is removed…

PLANET
PLANET

dino: you are not even an ignorant, but an idiot. Read above why your comment is useless.

dino998
dino998

The Samsung is right…..there is no need for FM raadio on S4…
If you like to listen radio you can just download application like
TuneIn radio and listen Radio…….

vbx
vbx

Yeah, because using the data will save more power than using a regular radio. And plus, you get to see free ads that spy on your phone and data usage.

bladehawk
bladehawk

For the sake of weight and power things have to be dropped… do you miss the svideo cable support when you’re using blueray? What about that desk eating 24″ CRT?

Some technologies aren’t used as much and can be cut. It saves on testing, development, manufacturing, support. If it’s a really useful feature keep it, if it can be replaced with something more flexible replace it.

PLANET
PLANET
Well, dear laic and ignorant, do you think it would weigh too much? Like, 1 g? Maybe 2? Damn! LTE SoC also did weigh too much on the international versions of Exynos, however in Korea it could be included? Shit! Now seriously. Somehow I think FM radio didn’t need too much testing :> Not speaking of dev-ing. Some support sure would be needed – but c’mon, users know how to use the radio. The costs would be minimal, as manufacturing – such beast shouldn’t cut on anything really. Think before you say something. REALLY. And oh, that desk eating 24″… Read more »
harryisme
harryisme

I’ll be honest I didn’t even realise my Galaxy SIII and never used it on my old S1, so it’s not really a feature I care much for, I’m more bummed about the fact we aren’t getting the Octa CPU in the UK.

PLANET
PLANET

GT-I9500 / GT-I9505 – United Kingdom – source: SamMobile.

Don’t be an ignorant with the features you don’t need…

eigaras
eigaras

Thats a shame. Where i’m from data costs too much to listen to stuff online.

bladehawk
bladehawk

Can’t you download to a PC and copy the files over? That’s what i do when I need to fly somewhere.

PLANET
PLANET
Well, that proves that Eldar Murtazin in Mobile-Review test was right – no radio in BOTH international version (as Russia only gets 9500 according to SamMobile, and GSMArena already tested and proved there is no radio in 9505). Stupid explanation, if you ask me. Unless the chip itself was taking a lot of space – it doesn’t make sense. But same goes for LTE, huh? It SHOULDN’T use much space. Somehow Korean version COULD get the LTE SoC, interesting, right? I think the same goes for FM Radio. Why it’s a bad decision? 1) Battery. Battery usage is much more… Read more »
Barton
Barton

Exactly!

vslsnks
vslsnks

Arrest my case. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

wpDiscuz