[Poll Results!] Would you buy a non-Samsung phone with a notch?

Home / News / [Poll Results!] Would you buy a non-Samsung phone with a notch?

Apple wasn’t the first manufacturer to employ a notch on an otherwise “all-screen” smartphone display. That was Essential, the company created by Android co-founder Andy Rubin, which launched the Essential Phone to much fanfare, both because one of Android’s masterminds was behind it and because of the notch at the top of the display. Apple did, however, make the notch mainstream thanks to the power it holds when it comes to setting the trends, and it also managed to make the notch worthwhile with the Face ID technology. Android OEMs have nothing of the sort, but many Chinese manufacturers, in their ever-present need to do what Apple does, have been releasing phones with a notch in recent months.

The notch has been embraced even by Google

Google hasn’t been sitting idle, either. The company has added official support for notch-equipped devices in Android P, even though none of the major manufacturers have talked about embracing the notch just yet. But the major players are no longer the only ones who matter. Indeed, other than Samsung, big OEMs like HTC, Sony, and LG have been losing ground to Chinese manufacturers, who continue to put out smartphones with impressive specs for a fraction of the price commanded by devices from mainstream OEMs. Even OnePlus has confirmed that its next flagship will have a notch, so it’s only a matter of time before the market is flooded with iPhone X-like designs that the consumer can’t ignore.

That’s where our poll comes in: We want to know if you would be willing to purchase a non-Samsung device if it attracts your attention despite the presence of a notch in the display. We already know most Samsung fans aren’t willing to accept the notch and are perfectly fine with the Infinity display found on its devices, but what if the Korean giant also joins the notch bandwagon somewhere down the line? Will that make it easier for you to buy a phone with a notch from another company?

Well, go ahead and tell us by voting in the poll, and also let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Results: As expected, a majority of voters (70 percent) like what Samsung is doing: Making phones with displays that cover most of the front side without an obtrusive notch getting in the way. 19 percent of voters say they will look at how good other aspects of a device are, something we can get behind. Seven percent of voters say they are okay with buying a phone with a notch, while the rest believe they will be able to jump ship the day Samsung introduces a notch to its phones. What did you vote for and why? Tell us in the comments!

Would you buy a non-Samsung phone with a notch?

Polls 37

daemmon
19 days 20 hours ago
daemmon

I really hope this trend will die TOGETHER with the curved screens (…edge…) and rounded screen corners. Just give me a flat rectangular screen S9 with those small bezels around it.

brasiles87
20 days 6 hours ago
brasiles87

Buying a S9 later this year I shouldn’t change to other smartphone in three years. Till that I believe the notch will be “this is so 2018…”

Deke218
20 days 12 hours ago
Deke218

No, Never a notch. If this is what innovation means in this day and age, we are freaking lost.

Alief0008
21 days 18 hours ago
Alief0008

I will not buy any phone with notch, including phone from Samsung

VIRGIN KLM
22 days 12 hours ago
VIRGIN KLM

I still don’t get why people reaaally believe that Samsung would never put notches on their devices. I am not convinced.

locarno
21 days 23 hours ago
locarno

Because they laugh from notch in iPhone x in S8 commercial.

preime101
19 days 23 hours ago
preime101

because when you look at the amount of sensors, speaker & cameras that run along the top there is virtually no space to have a notch plus wouldn’t it be physically impossible to run a notch and curved screen edges at the same time?

Matheusiq
22 days 14 hours ago
Matheusiq

This whole notch and bezel-less thing is stupid AF. That’s why I kept my S6 Edge and flat screen S7

Blood Wolfe
22 days 17 hours ago
Blood Wolfe

I will NEVER buy a phone with a “notch”! It’s ugly AF!

I like the current setup Samsung is doing with an equal but mostly minimal bezel on the top and bottom. The notch is just ugly and ruins any symmetry the phone/display could and would have. Samsung has the best approach and I hope it stays that way.

cyberfrost
22 days 17 hours ago
cyberfrost

I would not buy a non-samsung phone. With or without the ugly notch.

PJaya
22 days 18 hours ago
PJaya

Any brand with notch i will stay away from it

Thade780
22 days 14 hours ago
Thade780

This should have been a possible choice in the poll.

23 days 36 minutes ago
Paul Alexandru Cazacliu

A notch will be sticking in my eyes every time I’ll be looking at that screen perceiving it as an ugly defect, so no.

saif1080
23 days 2 hours ago
saif1080

if and only if notches are fully utilized perfectly… because with a notch and botton chin is completely worthless…only a small and thin notch can make me buy a phone aith notch..

23 days 2 hours ago
Eddygraphic

Believe it or not if I have to buy a phone with a notch that would definitely be the iPhone X simply because the app support for the notch is just way better than any Android OEM has right now and because the bottom bezel is also almost non-existent on the iPhone X while every single Android phone with a notch also have a huge bottom bezel where the camera could be and there would be no need for a notch.

utvic99
23 days 10 hours ago
utvic99

I’d like Samsung to keep what they’re doing with the S9 or what they did with the S8 which has a bit more beautiful display due to having symmetrically positioned top and bottom bezels, and imo the back of the S8 looks just a tiny bit more modern, but still the ergonomics are important here, so no need for the back change.

Notch doesn’t make the device more beautiful, it makes it more awful. And many people share this opinion with me (of course there are many that don’t but idc).

djcbs
23 days 13 hours ago
djcbs

I won’t buy a phone with a notch. Not from Samsung nor from anyone else.

HideSystem
23 days 13 hours ago
HideSystem

no notch no edge

aarozone
23 days 14 hours ago
aarozone

The S9’s bezels are really slim and it would be pointless to have a notch. The point of having a notch is to show notification content. I’d rather they use auto hide notification bar like how the navigation bar does. They could also reduce the bottom bezel and keep the top as it is. I hope they don’t go down that route. Infinity display is great as it is.

radyab1297
23 days 14 hours ago
radyab1297

If the notch can be fully covered by a software black layer which the color exactly fits the color of the notch and all apps behave nicely, yes.

Samarasx
23 days 8 hours ago
Samarasx

Burn-in is an issue in such a feature. Wait for the burn-in reports on the new Huawei phones.

That’s why samsung won’t let you have the navigation bar fully black and always on.

radyab1297
22 days 2 hours ago
radyab1297

black in OLED means there is no active pixels. So how pixels have a burn-in problem in this case?

Samarasx
21 days 20 hours ago
Samarasx

Yes but the color degradation caused by the rest of the screen (and the notifications in those black bars) being turned on will make a huge difference in color between the always black display and the rest of the display. So the burn in isn’t caused by the black pixels, but the display colours won’t degrade evenly = burn in.

radyab1297
20 days 23 hours ago
radyab1297

It is true. but you have the option to enable or disable the black bar. It also depends on how long you use the phone continuously. I mean if phone producers implement the notch, having this option is good to hide the notch when you get bored of the notch 🙂

SIVAHAKASH
23 days 3 hours ago
SIVAHAKASH

That’s what I too thought. But other than Samsung, no one can get their displays to be as pitch black as the Frame around it.

But if the aspect ratio excluding the notch area is 18:9, it’ll be great.

radyab1297
23 days 1 hour ago
radyab1297
I am not sure if Samsung is going to have a notch on its phones, cause it made fun of the iphone notch in one of its commercials. I know it is a bit ideal having exactly the same color. Maybe Samsung or other manufacturers can do this. Notch is good because it can be useful to put icons on the dead space (I call it dead because the space around call speaker and selfie camera and other sensors is not useful for anything). But I like this space can be covered by an indistinguishable black layer. The aspect ratio… Read more »
22 days 22 hours ago
tedy teddy

From what i know that is exactly oneplus 6’s implementation will be
Huawei p20 has something similar if i am not wrong

radyab1297
22 days 21 hours ago
radyab1297

Yes, Huawei has implemented that. But I am not sure how the color contrast is. I should see it in person.

gaurav21
23 days 15 hours ago
gaurav21

Nup who will spend $1000 for that Ugly Notched Dislplay ..

satslu
23 days 15 hours ago
satslu

In 2018, I would really need a new powerful smart phone. I have been using android all the time but this time I would go for IOS because of Iphone X which is everything perfect. However, I gave it up just for only ONE Reason thats UGLY NOTCH. I just fell in love with Note 8 finally.

auctyvance
23 days 15 hours ago
auctyvance

Never

ssking
23 days 15 hours ago
ssking

Where is the option ‘no, never buy a phone with a notch’

Biransahin
23 days 15 hours ago
Biransahin

The notch is ridiculous. Media consumption is the biggest part of smartphone usage. Would anyone buy a TV with part of the screen missing? Would anyone go to a cinema where the screen has the corner torn away? Reports are suggesting that Apple will dump the notch next year. It will make all those “monkey see monkey do” companies look pretty stupid next year, and that includes Google.

SIVAHAKASH
23 days 3 hours ago
SIVAHAKASH

I too had the same opinion but if the aspect ratio excluding the notch area is 18:9, it’ll be great.

But the only real advantage would be in the vertical mode where an extra centimeter of space wouldn’t matter!

Biransahin
22 days 22 hours ago
Biransahin

That’s true, and in either case we have a useless area of screen. At the top the only thing the notch does is restrict the amount of notifications you can see. Anyway we can all have a good giggle when it disappears next year from iPhone ! 🙂

23 days 15 hours ago
SilvioB

Say NO to the notch.

I would never buy a phone with a notch. It’s stupid, a waste in vertical space. Even worse, much worse, on landscape.

Look at the ridiculous option in the Huawei P20 to hide it. Embarrassing.

jamallandit
23 days 16 hours ago
jamallandit

I don’t prefer phone with a notch. 😷🤕😵