Galaxy S8 Oreo update scheduled for end of February for some markets?

Home / News / Galaxy S8 Oreo update scheduled for end of February for some markets?

When the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge received their first official taste of Android 7.0 Nougat, it was less than two weeks after Samsung concluded the Nougat beta program for its then latest Galaxy S flagships. The initial rollout started near mid-January, 2017, but it was limited to only a handful of countries. Many markets didn’t receive the update till weeks later in February, and it looks like there’s a similar wait in order for owners of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ for the Android 8.0 Oreo update.

Galaxy S8 Oreo update may take a while to reach everyone

We’ve received a tip from one of our readers in the Maghreb region of North Africa (comprised of Algeria, Morocco Tunisia, Libya and Mauritania), who got in touch with Samsung’s customer care to ask when the Oreo update would arrive for the Galaxy S8. The response? The end of February is when the Galaxy S8 Oreo update is scheduled to arrive. Now, this doesn’t mean everyone will have to wait so long, but it does seem that despite the wider availability of the Oreo beta, Samsung will still be taking its sweet time to make the final update available in all regions.

What’s worse is that the official Oreo update still hasn’t started rolling out, so the global rollout may not complete until the end of 2018’s first quarter. Which, coincidentally, would be around the time the Galaxy S9 and S9+ will go up for pre-order and, subsequently, on sale. Samsung has held on to a major OS update for an existing flagship until the arrival of the new flagship in some markets before, and it may well be gearing up to do the same this time around. Maybe not deliberately, but it looks like it’s bound to happen given the current scenario.

For more on Android 8.0 Oreo for Samsung devices, peruse the links below, and hope that the end of February doesn’t turn out to be the ETA for the first wave of the Oreo update!

Thanks, Malik!

Firmware news 70

3 months 19 days ago
mantaka

Note 8 here, rly don’t care about updates. Phone is amazing and Oreo is not a major update at least for me.

Bigsmoke79
Bigsmoke79

It’s a bad state of affairs when a small company like One Plus are beating you to major updates!

MilanWalter
MilanWalter

I think u s9, s9 + and note9 will all be different from the project treble;)

benlol98
benlol98

Last year 7.0 came in Jan, this year it’s already Feb and 8.0 is still not released yet T.T

61530041
61530041

Same desing same ux no change we said ok
No live foucs we said ok
But 6 months to get oreo for a minor feauter
Shame on you samsung we paid around 850$ for s8 and s8+ and at the end… nothing!!

4PDAfaq
4PDAfaq

This is the complete mess they are doing.
This was my last smartphone from Samsung !!!

I REFUSE FROM SUCH COMPANY FOR THE LACK OF FAST AND REGULAR UPDATES!

ryka93
ryka93

Oreo update seems to have delays on all brands, not only samsung

Tahab786
Tahab786

Samsung is the slowest phone phone in the world for giving the updates and the worst thing about Samsung is the forget their old customer like S7 & S8 and they are more concentrate on the new customer like N8 & S9, whereas the company like I phone & Pixel remember their old customer and they will give first reference to them.

Tondern
Tondern

Funny because I sold my old S6 Edge+ to a friend and bought S8+ and expected similar or faster updates on the new phone. The S6 is running january security patch and my S8 is on november. Some carrier S8 models have the december patch and I think one of the J models got the january patch first. It’s now officially 100% random who gets the patches first and it’s absolutely disgusting.

Eddygraphic

Bye bye Note8, Google Pixel 3 here I go, I’m sick of Samsung’s laggy software and subpart software update policy and to put the icing on the cake you can’t flash out of region software anymore so forget about updating your phone when other regions get it and yours doesn’t.

gsdworld21
gsdworld21

Samsung should read this thread and hang their heads in shame. Luckily Sammobile keeps us informed or we’d be kept in the dark

deardevil
deardevil

why do theyy ask so much for a smartphone if theyy are worst then the rest of the brands?? a 900€ phone and after a few months i’m still on security update from november.and the Oreo was released months ago. if is to be like this they should stick with 650/700€ price.not put it higher because their support are crap.

gtone339
gtone339

Typical Samsung. Late in rolling out Major OS updates for everyone out there.

justinut0909
justinut0909

You are getting worse Samsung. Definitely my next phone will be Google Pixel or Sony. I cant accept the fact that Sony and other brands get Oreo few months ago, meanwhile my Note 8 is still on Nougat.

zlatan09
zlatan09

More and more users will choose other brands, what a awful support by Samsung. My next phone is Huawei for sure.

gsdworld21
gsdworld21

Agreed. The new P20 (P11) looks like it’s gonna be brilliant. Huawei here we come ?

OnlinePredator
OnlinePredator

There will always be silly people who buy a samsung and expect updates to be released within months of new android versions. Not a big loss really. You always have compromises with other phones, really if you want updates, then pixel is the ONLY phone. If you want hardware/software than samsung is the ONLY phone. If you want cheap phones with so so quality and no real customer support then yea you could go Huawei….. although you will regret it. So many hardware issues that don’t get replacements or warranty.

justinut0909
justinut0909

Your argument is invalid. Oreo was released last August. Other companies only took 3 months to deliver the firmware to their flagships. 6 months is unacceptable.

zlatan09
zlatan09
In Croatia we have better support from Huawei than from Samsung. Samsung definetly have worst customer service in my region, updates, repairs and so on, from that perspective Apple is the best (international warranty, fast updates but problem is only 1 year of warranty in my region) after that there is Huawei, i’m working in store with phones, and never recieved any of Huawei phones on warranty (P9 Lite, P9 Lite 2017, P10 Lite, P10, Mate 10 Pro and only I sold more than 300 pieces of these phones), Samsung S8 is model with many problems (red screen, dead pixels,… Read more »
rmcsc
rmcsc

I had several Samsung phones , and still have one , but it´s finish.
Huawei p11/20 for sure will be my next one.
Just got tired of Samsung policy.

gsdworld21
gsdworld21

100% P20 gonna be cool

U Santhosh Reddy

I don’t support Samsung . Because I didn’t receive Oreo update note 8

antonmassoud
antonmassoud

That doesn’t make any sense

Andrea Malgarise

Chinese works better…..few days and I’ll pass to an custom rom with twrp.
Bye

hidden007
hidden007

now i have s8
but my next phone is not sumsung i have huawei mate 10 running android 8
very bad brand sumsung…

Andrea Malgarise

What a shame !!! S9 make its debut with TIzen ??

asmuhammad28

This is why samsung lose in indian market because they don’t deliver updates even j7 2016 get 7.0 in only 2 countries & now Samsung doing this to s8/s8+ my next phone is not samsung i have nokia 5 running 8.0 with January sp wtf samsung

gsdworld21
gsdworld21
I really think how Samsung has performed over the last year or so this latest bit of news will be the kiss of death for their smartphone division. I wonder at the release of the S9 they’ll say those famous words “we have listened to the customer” nothing changes. We know the Note9 will be the same as the S9 but with a pen and the cycle continues. Such a shame. We all had high hopes for them but we, as the customer, seem to be low down the chain of importance when we should be in the number 1… Read more »
tarheel6279
3 months 22 days ago
tarheel6279

Samsung…this is NOT the way to treat your loyal customers!!
I know you are a Korean-based company, but you’re not in North Korea!? When you make a promise you must keep your word!! This is the way you do things…unlike that lunatic dictator running things North of you!?
DO THE RIGHT THING!! KEEP YOUR WORD OR EXCUSE YOURSELVES FROM THE TECH-MARKET!!

Adryta
3 months 22 days ago
Adryta

Una verguenza….amo mi S8 y utilizo Samsung desde siempre, pero lo que están haciendo con sus clientes es una falta de respeto!! Adhiero a otros comentarios…voy a abandonar Samsung, mi proximo telefono celular será IPhone!!! Espero que Sanmobile lea los comentarios y se los haga llegar a Samsung, pagué muy caro mi S8 y repito, considero que es una falta de respeto hacia sus clientes hacer esperar tanto para tener una actualización. Quiero mi Android 8 ahoraaaaaaa!!!!!

altaf.s
3 months 22 days ago
altaf.s

Dumb and Dumber Samsung Electronics, Always highlighting new products, but never cared about older flasgships. wait till S8 and Note8 get same treatment after s9 is launched.

Martin Eugeniev

Dude… I have the same profile picture 😀 For a moment I tough if I wrote this 😀

OnlinePredator
OnlinePredator

Yea even s5 gets updates still, oh wait that’s not what you are saying, which means what you are saying is incorrect…. oh….

amarpra
3 months 22 days ago
amarpra

If it is not upgrade Oreo 8.0 before the Valentine day, I will kick it ass to garbage, worth USD 850 on released.
Galaxy S8.