SamMobile has affiliate and sponsored partnerships. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

Galaxy S23 could exclusively use Snapdragon processor worldwide


Last updated: July 9th, 2022 at 10:02 UTC+02:00

Samsung’s Exynos chipsets have been problematic over the past few years due to poor design or an underwhelming fabrication process. Fed up with the string of poor performances, Samsung may switch to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processors for the Galaxy S23 series.

According to noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Qualcomm will likely be the sole supplier of chipsets (model number SM8550) for the Galaxy S23 series. In comparison, 70% of the Galaxy S22 units used the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset, while the remaining 30% of units used the Exynos 2200 chipset with AMD’s Xclipse 920 GPU. The next-generation Snapdragon processor reportedly uses TSMC’s optimized 4nm process node.

Exynos 2300 is reportedly not as good as Snapdragon 8 Gen 1

While Samsung’s System LSI division is working on the Exynos 2300 chipset, it may not find any takers. The chipset will reportedly be made using Samsung Foundry’s 4nm process, which has been problematic in terms of power efficiency. The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is reportedly a better chipset overall, featuring better performance and higher power efficiency.

Since the South Korean firm will use Snapdragon processors in all its high-end phones next year, Qualcomm’s market share in the high-end segment is set to rise. Samsung’s mobile division has reportedly created a team of 1,000 engineers to work on a custom high-end chipset for Galaxy smartphones, and the first such chip is rumored to arrive in 2025 with the Galaxy S25.

This is great news for Galaxy fans, who can expect good all-around performance from their smartphones. However, it’s terrible news for Samsung’s System LSI division which designs Exynos processors, and the Samsung Foundry division, which usually fabricates them.

Join SamMobile’s Telegram group and subscribe to our YouTube channel to get instant news updates and in-depth reviews of Samsung devices. You can also subscribe to get updates from us on Google News and follow us on Twitter.

Phone 4nmExynosGalaxy S23Galaxy S23 PlusGalaxy S23 UltraQualcommSystem LSITSMC
Load 3 comments

You might also like

Galaxy Watch 5 will get competition from OPPO’s Watch 3 with Snapdragon W5 Gen 1 chip

Last year, the Galaxy Watch 4 was the only smartwatch running the brand new Wear OS 3 software, and Samsung had the monopoly in the Android smartwatch space. This year, though, things will be different. To compete with the Galaxy Watch 5 series, rival smartwatch brands are in the process of launching their new Wear […]

  • By Asif Iqbal Shaik
  • 1 week ago

Galaxy S23 Ultra’s model numbers and codename have leaked

We are just a few hours away from the official unveiling of the Galaxy Z Fold 4 and the Galaxy Z Flip 4. Since both phones have leaked entirely, the focus of the leaksters has now shifted over to Samsung’s next flagship already. The Galaxy S23 Ultra’s codename and model numbers have been leaked, courtesy of tipster Paras Guglani (via […]

  • By Sagar Naresh
  • 1 week ago

SamMobile Podcast Episode 18: 200MP ISOCELL HP2 for Galaxy S23 Ultra

It’s Friday, and we’ve prepared another SamMobile Podcast episode for you on our YouTube and Spotify channels. Grab your drinks and popcorn, and join us as we take a closer look at this week’s rumors surrounding the Galaxy S23 Ultra. The clock is ticking with less than a week to go before Unpacked. However, for […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 2 weeks ago

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra battery and chipset details leak

The Galaxy S22 Ultra had the difficult task of joining the best of the Galaxy S and Note lineups into one device. The upcoming Galaxy S23 Ultra won’t be as big of a generational leap but should refine the current design formula. Similarly, some hardware components will get replaced and upgraded, while others won’t. Samsung […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 2 weeks ago

Investors worry Samsung’s chip division has lost its ability to innovate

Market watchers and investors are worried that Samsung Electronics is losing its grip on the semiconductor market. More so, Samsung is reportedly losing ground due to internal issues rather than external factors driven by the competition. Critics worry that the Korean tech giant, particularly its chipset division, has lost its ability to innovate under Lee […]

  • By Mihai Matei
  • 2 weeks ago

As US China tensions flare over Taiwan, Samsung becomes indispensable

The world can hardly afford another conflict. The uncertainties of the past couple of years have led to significant turmoil across the globe. A post-COVID scenario seems elusive as the virus continues to mutate and go through periods of resurgence. The economic recovery following the pandemic has been painfully slow. The armed conflict between Russia […]

  • By Adnan Farooqui
  • 2 weeks ago