Home / News / PSA: Galaxy S7 fingerprint sensor needs to be pressed to unlock the device even on Nougat

Samsung changed how the fingerprint sensor works on the Galaxy J5 Prime and the J7 Prime to unlock the device. Unlike other devices from the company, users don’t need to press the fingerprint sensor when the screen is turned off. Just placing a finger on the fingerprint sensor gets the job done. Many were expecting that Samsung would implement the same mechanism in the Galaxy S7 and the S7 edge with the Nougat update and have been asking us about the same in the comments. We’re afraid that is not the case.

We’ve been playing around with the Galaxy S7 and the S7 edge after they received the Android 7.0 update, and Samsung still hasn’t changed how these devices unlock when the screen is turned off. You still need to press the fingerprint sensor to wake up and unlock the device. Compared to some competing devices, the current unlocking mechanism is cumbersome. Hopefully, that won’t be the case with the Galaxy S8 as it is expected to feature a new-generation fingerprint sensor placed on its back.

Got Nougat on your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge? Check out a few tips and tricks to enhance your user experience, and see a list of all the major new features here!

Phones 42

freddieschultz
9 days 3 hours ago
freddieschultz

Everyone wants this feature enabled on S7 but how do I DISABLE it on my Galaxy A5?

I hate this feature, I keep unlocking my phone in my pocket when I pull it out. I only want it to unlock when the button is pressed. PLEASE HELP!

6 months 25 days ago
nadeemdmc

samsung No active fingerprint no double tape to wake but cheaper device does

laurentiuduna
9 months 11 days ago
laurentiuduna

I hope samsung will bring this feature via a OTA update, I was expecting to be there with ne Nougat update

agarco
9 months 13 days ago
agarco

Pressing and touching home button works either way to unlock the phone. Never had problems unlocking my GS7e, can either do it by just touching the sensor or pressing it. Of couse if you have to wake it up, you have to press it first.

RiTCHiE007
9 months 13 days ago
RiTCHiE007

“Compared to some competing devices, the current unlocking mechanism is cumbersome. Hopefully, that won’t be the case with the Galaxy S8 as it is expected to feature a new-generation fingerprint sensor placed on its back.”

Duh, who writes these articles? The S8 wont have a button at all and its just like many other phones already out that use it as a haptic feedback touchpad that looks likea button but cant be pushed.

woody365
9 months 13 days ago
woody365

Samsung should have sold the press to activate the fp sensor as an extra.
“No more battery wasting always scanning”
“No more phantom pocket (wrong) scans that’ll lock your phone for half an hour because it thinks someone is trying to gain access to it ”
“Etc”
Then I bet it wouldn’t be a problem

woody365
9 months 13 days ago
woody365

Sooo… why are people being so lazy that they moan about pushing their finger a fraction of a centimetre further. WOW!

o0MHJ0o
9 months 12 days ago
o0MHJ0o

its not laziness its just a bit annoying trying to catch the scanner when the screen is on. sometimes when I get a notification it’ll wake up my device, and its a race to beat the few seconds the screen is on to get your finger on the scanner, and if you miss it, then the screen turns off and then you have to wake up the device again. it’d be a lot easier just touching your finger on the scanner to unlock it instantly.

RiTCHiE007
9 months 13 days ago
RiTCHiE007

haha indeed, i was thinking the same. People are so lazy that this is a problem?

9 months 13 days ago
Dookistan

I use Moto Z Play for work and the fingerprint sensor is far better. Touch on touch off.
I used to think what’s the big deal, them I used a good FP sensor.

9 months 13 days ago
David Berry
It’s got a sensor to wake so i don’t get it. Does it not work on s7? I don’t find pressing a button to bothersome anyway as i have smart wake disabled like a lot of that stuff. There’s any app called easy home for samsung which may solve this issue. If only ot had any iris scanner like rhe n7 im on now but as good was that is for signing in to web pages they need to implement the unlock by iris in a much simpler way. Maybe just scan 1 eye & ditch the swip 1st bit.… Read more »
friss
9 months 13 days ago
friss

it can be solve in a simple software update to add new gestures, add in to “raise to wake” like iphone or google pixel then rest finger to unlock or “double tap to wake display” then rest finger to unlock, but this is samsung we are talking about, they cannot even push nougat out globally like Apple or Google in terms of software update which everyone get it on the same day.

muhommad
9 months 14 days ago
muhommad

sava

Ezequiel955
9 months 14 days ago
Ezequiel955

Entiendo que esta pagina sea pro Samsung, pero esto es mucho.
Todos los dias informaban a que pais iba llegando Android 7 en los S7.
Ahora ya no lo hacen, inclusive ponen “nougat tips” y actualizaciones de seguridad sobre Android 7.
Por que hacen esto?
Para tapar, por chupamedias, segun Samsung en enero todos los S7 tenian que estar actualizados. Estamos en febrero y, a la mitad del mundo, no les llego nada.
Obviamente, esta pagina, una vez que empezo febrero se “olvido” del seguimiento que venia haciéndo pais por pais y empezo con los “tips” como si todos hubieramos actualizado, dan verguenza SamMobile

9 months 14 days ago
Gamuchirai Valerie Kalenga

Its no big deal to press the home key first then unlock with fingerprint. Its a way of exercising your fingers. Doesn’t matter if the new nougat for galaxy s7 edge doesn’t have that new upgrade.

9 months 14 days ago
Greek1977

No Nougat for several countries , for the next 2 months, i read somewhere ! Samsung , Bye !

jojo337
9 months 13 days ago
jojo337

Yeah sure… you should take an iPhone or a Nexus because others manufacturers are the same… and the majority is worse. Not even security updates. Why do people complain about updates seriously… the menu changes woohoo, some minor improvements… The phone is still the same.

percistratus
9 months 14 days ago
percistratus

I don’t know what this article is talking about. I have S7 edge, and I only place the finger on the home button to unlock if the screen is on. I’ve this phone for 8 months, and I’ve never had to press the home button to unlock is the screen is on

Abhijeet M.
9 months 13 days ago
Abhijeet M.

“users don’t need to press the fingerprint sensor when the screen is turned off.”

🙂

9 months 14 days ago
Adriana Sgouraditis

I’m pretty sure he means that when the phone is in “sleep” mode ..you have to wake your phone up so your looking at the unlock screen and then you can touch the sensor to unlock the phone. You can’t unlock the 7 when in sleep mode/always on display, you have to wake the screen up. ☺

percistratus
9 months 14 days ago
percistratus

I see, thanks. I like the implementation of lift-to-wake by Apple. Sometimes you just wanna see what’s on the lock screen, so I prefer the current implementation where you press and hold to unlock, or press to get to the lock screen

Reshock
9 months 14 days ago
Reshock

I use Gravity Screen and have had the Apple feature for close to 2 years. Once the settings are adjusted to your preferences. The screen stays on until I am finished, then turns off when you are finished. In sleep mode I still have to press the home button. But I prefer to save some battery life.

dung_dung1341
dung_dung1341

For me, it is absolutely ok to press home button. Just consider that action as a little effort to exercise our own fingers 😀

sammay69
sammay69

that´s just disappointing compared how many other phones can do it. even a low end phone from samsung has this feuture

assassin2se7en
assassin2se7en

Whats diferent beetwen them when we dont get nougat . Samsung just push it for 6 countries .. thats a big shame for samsumg
S7 edge . Iraq firmware

Lizz Bennett

I’m in America and still have Marshmallow. S7. I was in the beta testing, but my charger blew up in my phone…had to get a new phone. What I did use was nice.

Lizz Bennett

Omg, the horror of merely pressing a button vs just touching it. What difference does a little pressure make to deem this so burdensome?

stevles
stevles

Yeah, why would people want their $1000 devices working as well and intelligently and much cheaper devices from the same company? I can’t understand why anyone would want to simply graze their finger on a button rather than physically pressing it, potentially leading to a collapsed home button like I had on my Note 4.
Geez, the madness of it all!

I love how people like you think very little about the possible reasons for something before jumping to conclusions.

broekhuijsen
broekhuijsen

I am using the led view cover, and by opening the cover, the phone already turns on. You can set the phone to wake up when you wave your hand over it. So technically you don’t need to press any button to use the fingerprint scanner.

It would be nice however, to have it implemented properly…

ChristopherJZ
ChristopherJZ

Don’t get too attached to your LED case… It will break in less than a month. I’ve been through 2 of these already. Both broke I just use it as a case now without the LED functions

broekhuijsen
9 months 14 days ago
broekhuijsen

Yeah I am on my second one as well. The first one broke after two months or so, it was replaced under warranty. If it breaks again, I am going to demand my money back, and replace it with a non led view one.

jjcommonsense
jjcommonsense

Oh gosh.. press/touch, what difference does it make? U still gotta put your finger in the same spot anyway. Most people probably push the button to wake their phone up and unlock it anyway without even realizing it.

mgovro
mgovro

I’m a new S7 owner and touching the HOME button does not wake up my device like the fingerprint sensor on either 5X, 6P or the PIXEL? How or what can I change for better accessibility?

RiTCHiE007
9 months 13 days ago
RiTCHiE007

Are you serious? Since when does the pixel or 6P have a button? Is it a button when you cant push it in? NO!

snowsak
snowsak

Dont forget that having the fingerprint sensor always turned on will use battery.

Govindladdha
9 months 14 days ago
Govindladdha

Then they should give the option to turn on and off. those who want turn it on and those dont like it turn it off

assassin2se7en
assassin2se7en

There is no nougat foy my s7 edge . Iraq ( mid ) firmware
Shame on u samsung

Redspider97
Redspider97

I was on s7 edge beta and I wrote them about that and they said they would try to do it in a update. If anyone wants to see a copy of what they wrote let me know I’ll post it

wpDiscuz
Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! X