Samsung Galaxy S8 schematics surface, show a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor

A lot of Galaxy S8 renders and alleged images have leaked over the past few weeks. Most of those renders and pictures showcased a device whose front is mostly covered by the screen, and there was no sign of a front-mounted physical home button. Now, CNET Korea has released schematics of a device that’s believed to be the Galaxy S8.

According to CNET Korea, Samsung will remove the ‘edge’ moniker from its smartphones this year, mostly due to both the Galaxy S8 variants – 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch – featuring curved screens. Moreover, the report says that the Galaxy S8 will use on-screen navigation buttons. The fingerprint sensor will reportedly be placed beside the camera sensor, and there would be an additional physical key on the right edge of the device (possibly for accessing Bixby and other functions, similar to the Active key on the Galaxy S6 Active and Galaxy S7 Active).

CNET Korea states that they have rendered the schematics in its report based on the information from a Galaxy S8 eyewitness. Apparently, Samsung has decided to preserve a 3.5mm headphone jack in the Galaxy S8, but it is also working on completely wireless earphones. It will also feature a USB Type-C port. What do you think about these schematics?

s8

s8p_all1

s8p

Source

Phones 69

godvukasin
14 days 22 hours ago

I can not possibly imagine that there is so much talk about that fingerprint sensor. Like anyone will use it instead of iris scanner…

billywongwashere
18 days 16 hours ago

Just bought iPhone 7s for a play and must admit the size is perfect for my hand though not fan of iOS or in general a match for my s7 war horse

Hope the s8 is the size shown above as this would be the best size for me

jamezr
19 days 57 minutes ago

I don’t mind a rear FP scanner. I have had phones with it on the back like the Pixel, V20, Mate 9, 6P and so forth. But on this render the FP is RIGHT ALONG SIDE the camera which is a big fail for me.

C’mon Samsung put it right below the camera and make it round!

Art Hughes
19 days 10 hours ago

I switched my Note 7 for a LGv20. It has a fingerprint scanner in the same place. The only real world issues I have had is it’s hard to hold down the fingerprint sensor and volume down button at the same time to do screen shots.

I want a phone with a stylis on it again!!!

mustafa0aboud
19 days 1 hour ago

How about a Note 5?

Darin Ridgeway
19 days 13 hours ago

I’m wondering, now not sure on this so feel free to comment, if Apple has some sort of patent on the fingerprint reader being built into the screen?

mitchb312
19 days 14 hours ago

not a finger print sensor you dunderheads it’s a heart rate monitor

robahoy
19 days 15 hours ago

I don’t think they have thought how people open phone ..I use my left thumb

MikeEdge
19 days 18 hours ago

The fs is just too high up in the back, as someone who uses s7edge I can definitely say it’s too damn high.
Dissapointed as for now

Gustavo Correa Moura
19 days 14 hours ago

really man? I don’t even have long fingers and I can reach that easily…

MikeEdge
19 days 7 hours ago

So it seems we’re not holding the phone the same way, when using it I’m placing my grab on the bottom. Not in the middle, of course I can reach the top but it will be worse than now. And a new s8 should progress and not have drawbacks that s7/s6 don’t have.

Kartel2017
19 days 20 hours ago

Samsung is finished the last good galaxy was s7 & s7 edge , the s8 is clearly a disaster if these rumours are true

robahoy
19 days 15 hours ago

If the camera is not a major upgrade… The iPhone 8 will trash it!!!!

They seem to be saving the innovations for the note 8

manolitovictoria
19 days 20 hours ago

Pythagoras would be really angry… a^2+b^2=c^2 does not hold in these renders…

Mastamolvi
19 days 21 hours ago

Look carefully at the measurements. The s8 is 131.58 in screen length and full phone length is also 131.58 which is not possible. The diagonal 143.05 over 1cm of the phones size.
The s8 plus is 142.34 in screen length and the full phone length is 159.53. The diagonal is 154.46. 5mm less than phones length. Something is wrong with this post.

Mastamolvi
19 days 21 hours ago

These are the dimensions of the s7 edge 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm, and the dimensions for the s8 plus are 159.53 × 73.37mm. If the s8 plus is almost a centimetre longer than the s7 edge thats way to long so what was the point of reducing the bezels.

jjcommonsense
19 days 22 hours ago

I mean… I hear peoples complaints about the location of the fingerprint sensor but its essentially in the same place that the other makers have put it… if only slightly further to the left. I personally am not a fan of it and wish they had come through with that technology where they put the fingerprint sensor under the screen itself. Samsung has been putting the heartrate sensor on the back of the phone for years, i wonder what their analytics show about how many people actually use that thing. I dont.. but maybe billions do… I’m just scared that I’ll end up missing the dang sensor and greasing up my camera lens… nobody likes a foggy foto… still gonna get it though (sigh).. because I’m a junkie

stoertebecker
19 days 16 hours ago

Well i am also somehow a junkie but this one cures me. It is so stupid to put the scanner on the back. How should it work in a car holder ?. I fear the developers lost their mind or too funny things.
Now i am hoping for the Note 8. Or samsung bye bye

mustafa0aboud
19 days 1 hour ago

Use the iris scanner or unlock it using Google voice recognition.

robahoy
19 days 15 hours ago

My sentiments exactly

caesantos
19 days 23 hours ago

The fingerprint scanner is located at an unatural place to touch. It’s an inappropriated position. If Samsung is really going to put it on the back, then it has to position it below the camera lenses, in a way that doesn’t matter if you’re right-handed or left-handed.

Kartel2017
19 days 20 hours ago

I agree

papashex
20 days 2 minutes ago

It’s apparent Samsung is thinking REALLY far ahead towards interplanetary sales. No one on earth is going to be able to comfortably hold the phone and touch the sensor with only one hand.

christianbeccy
20 days 11 minutes ago

Errors in the render. The overall measurement is the same as the screen height. I’m calling BS, these are pretty weak to be believable.

19 days 23 hours ago

I emailed the source to show them this error. This is nothing more then a mistake. CNET KOR is a credible source. They revealed the G5 modular design….

cotti24e
20 days 1 hour ago

So they put FP against the heartrate monitor. than the other thing maybe wi`ll be a real Blitz flash ? like Sony Ericsson used on their old old devices with impressive cameras ? look`s like it`s the same size as that Blitzès we`re . (Sorry if bad English)

harinsheth
20 days 1 hour ago

Using note 4 and want front side fingerscan
But belive me in anyway by left or right hand if i pick up or hold my phone my first finger always goes to that side of the camera
So i think samsung is right if they do so

Btw i dont care about design much as of now…coz i wany best cpu gpu and of course ir blaster or xiaomi , here i come ..

robahoy
19 days 15 hours ago

IR blaster..Wtf for

NotReallySamsungFan
19 days 15 hours ago

Iris scanning.

ikonrt
20 days 2 hours ago

For me, Samsung has died. I have Note 4(SM-N910C), my wife and the children have S5. With the infrared we control almost all devices at home. This year we buy 4 x Huawei Mate 9 because infrared is in it. Samsung can remain stubborn (Sorry for my English).

o0MHJ0o
20 days 1 hour ago

Most modern tech are all connected to Wi-Fi. There’s a whole industry called the IoT – The Internet of Things which is all about communication between devices and Wi-Fi is the hub of it all.
IR blasters is getting somewhat dated now. I have a Samsung TV that I can control using my phone but not through IR, but Wi-Fi because my TV is connected to the same connection.
Don’t get mad at Samsung for moving away from dated tech. I know there’s a niche people who still use IR, but that is most likely because all their devices are not ‘smart’ in the sense they do not connect to wifi.

harinsheth
20 days 1 hour ago

I can control any tv & sound system & projector and many many more systems with ir blaster even if that system is old or new
So think twice which is better

o0MHJ0o
20 days 1 hour ago

IR is getting phased out. My housemate was recently looking for a new speaker system, none of them in store had IR control capabilities. Some were Bluetooth only, some were Wi-Fi only, and some were both.
Why use an IR blaster when you’re connected over Wi-Fi that can be controlled anywhere in the house? IR may be cheap but the cost of adding it to the device adds up and for the majority of people, (as I said before, IR people are a niche market) it is unnecessary.

warlockba
19 days 22 hours ago

Because in corporate meeting rooms, just because Samsung says that IR Blaster is outdated, companies will not exchange all beamers or VoIP systems because of that – and most of them nowadays work IR Blaster only …

billywongwashere
20 days 2 hours ago

The small model measurements looks incorrect as same as the size measurements

ANWIN REVAZE
20 days 2 hours ago

double tap to wake and a revamped iris scanner is how things will be..front panel will be just wow thanks to the edge to edge display and fp for me is not badly placed..ive been trying to reach out to the heart rate sensor and i find it comfy.what i am looking forward is to the overall upgrade from s7 to s8 to decide on getting one.

woody365
20 days 2 hours ago

I’m sticking with my S7 edge.

tiborh
20 days 3 hours ago

I will never buy a phone with rear FP scanner

ANWIN REVAZE
20 days 2 hours ago

iphones will be the only with non rear fp scanner in the future..trust me

Lukasz1536
20 days 1 hour ago

That’s why I will upgrade my S7 to the iPhone 7 Plus on the April. If this renders are true Samsung is dead for me.

FP on the rear is unacceptable for me. Plus this boring S6/S7 looks.
I wanna FP on the front panel and design like a Note 7 and I can buy new S8.

stevles
19 days 17 hours ago

I’d rethink your usage of the word “upgrade” there considering you’d be switching to far more dated technology in design, technology and usability.

maartenverbunt
20 days 3 hours ago

I am really turned of by the position of the fingerprint reader. It hardly couldn’t be in a more awkward position. There will be fingerprint smudges all over the camera lens! Not to mention that it will be hard to reach, especially for the lager phone. I have owned all Galaxy S phones apart from the Galaxy S2. This will be the first Galaxy phone that I intend to skipper. Hopefully things will be beter on the Galaxy Note 8. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I am surprised that Samsung didn’t seem to think this trough. It must be the most used button these days on a phone. Unlock your phone, log on to websites, approve payments and so on. I don’t get it…

Someone Else
20 days 3 hours ago

You said you own the Galaxy S6/S7, right? Now, try to rest your finger at the Galaxy S6/S7′s heart-rate sensor (which is on the right side of the camera) while holding your phone with your right hand. Comfy, ain’t it?

You will know that your finger will rest PERFECTLY on the right side of the camera. I’ve done this with my S6 edge, so I know what I’m talking about.

So, the rear fingerprint sensor on the right side of the camera makes a lot of sense.

The Galaxy S8 will be about the same size of that the S6 and S7. So, it would be no problem to put your finger on the rear finger print scanner. It’s not as stupid as you think now, right.

stevles
19 days 17 hours ago

Wrong. One in ten people are left handed, undeniably more than 10 percent hold their phone with their left hand (I do and I’m right handed)
Try it with your left hand, knowing this is going to be a device that is with a 5.8 – 6.2 inch screen (same size as the S6 and S7 my arse). Notice how you have to stretch your finger more then what is comfortable? Assuming of course you don’t have gigantic hands.
Now, imagine this with a device bearing a 6.2 inch screen.
I’ll pass. I prefer my finger print scanners to be more accessible.

eugenedfourie
20 days 13 minutes ago

I agree, the fingerprint sensor in the place of the heart rate sensor is of no concern to me. I have an S7 edge and find that I never accidently touch the camera lens while trying to reach to heart rate sensor.

deardevil
20 days 1 hour ago

now,you do like this”place your phone on a flat surface,and try to unlock the phone to see notifications. can you?you can’t,thats what most of us do with front Fingerprint reader.you can work with the phone without ever have to lift it up the surface.but with rear Fingerprint reader you cant.its like they give us more screen but take it out things we like to use.

o0MHJ0o
19 days 21 hours ago

swipe the screen to use your pattern/pin. Problem solved, or just pick the phone up?! seriously do not understand why people can’t just pick up their phone. you have an LED notification, AOD and screen wake for notifications its easy to see if you need to respond to your phone while it is flat on the desk or not

eugenedfourie
20 days 12 minutes ago

And then you have the added iris scanner to unlock, problem solved?

preime101
19 days 22 hours ago

nope as you will then have to be facing directly at the phone within a certain distance ant a certain angle.

rmbln01
20 days 22 minutes ago

Always On Display & Iris Scanner… these two features will definitely solve your concerns.

SenorSjon
20 days 11 minutes ago

Not when you are driving and the phone is sitting in its car holder. ;)

eugenedfourie
19 days 23 hours ago

Well, then you have Smart Lock to unlock as soon as your car bluetooth connects?

woody365
20 days 2 hours ago

Apart from having to pick the phone up every time you want to use it. I can unlock my S7 while it sits on a table and quickly and conveniently use it. Wave goodbye to that overlooked luxury.

seanroberts1
20 days 2 hours ago

I’ve got both the S7 Edge and the Pixel and i find it far more easier to use the S7 when at my desk or in the car that the pixel with its rear fingerprint sensor, yes I can double tap the screen and use the pattern to unlock it but it’s far easier and quicker with the front fingerprint on the S7

eugenedfourie
20 days 11 minutes ago

I have smart lock enabled for my car, so don’t need to use fingerprint any way. Front or back.