Samsung Galaxy S8 schematics surface, show a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor

Home / News / Samsung Galaxy S8 schematics surface, show a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor

A lot of Galaxy S8 renders and alleged images have leaked over the past few weeks. Most of those renders and pictures showcased a device whose front is mostly covered by the screen, and there was no sign of a front-mounted physical home button. Now, CNET Korea has released schematics of a device that’s believed to be the Galaxy S8.

According to CNET Korea, Samsung will remove the ‘edge’ moniker from its smartphones this year, mostly due to both the Galaxy S8 variants – 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch – featuring curved screens. Moreover, the report says that the Galaxy S8 will use on-screen navigation buttons. The fingerprint sensor will reportedly be placed beside the camera sensor, and there would be an additional physical key on the right edge of the device (possibly for accessing Bixby and other functions, similar to the Active key on the Galaxy S6 Active and Galaxy S7 Active).

CNET Korea states that they have rendered the schematics in its report based on the information from a Galaxy S8 eyewitness. Apparently, Samsung has decided to preserve a 3.5mm headphone jack in the Galaxy S8, but it is also working on completely wireless earphones. It will also feature a USB Type-C port. What do you think about these schematics?

s8

s8p_all1

s8p

Source

Phones 67

deathking33mi
9 months 17 days ago
deathking33mi

Sto aspettando aggiornamento ad Android 7.0 per galaxy S7 no brand italia ci state prendendo in giro dal 20/02/2017 che già doveva esserci avete rilasciato solo uno brand per H3G siete ridicoli non mantenete quello che dite come sempre anche perché il tutto doveva avvenire entro il 26 di questo mese al massimo 28 a quando dateci una DATA SICURAAAAA!!!!!!!

godvukasin
10 months 8 days ago
godvukasin

I can not possibly imagine that there is so much talk about that fingerprint sensor. Like anyone will use it instead of iris scanner…

billywongwashere
10 months 12 days ago
billywongwashere

Just bought iPhone 7s for a play and must admit the size is perfect for my hand though not fan of iOS or in general a match for my s7 war horse

Hope the s8 is the size shown above as this would be the best size for me

jamezr
10 months 12 days ago
jamezr

I don’t mind a rear FP scanner. I have had phones with it on the back like the Pixel, V20, Mate 9, 6P and so forth. But on this render the FP is RIGHT ALONG SIDE the camera which is a big fail for me.

C’mon Samsung put it right below the camera and make it round!

10 months 12 days ago
Art Hughes

I switched my Note 7 for a LGv20. It has a fingerprint scanner in the same place. The only real world issues I have had is it’s hard to hold down the fingerprint sensor and volume down button at the same time to do screen shots.

I want a phone with a stylis on it again!!!

mustafa0aboud
10 months 12 days ago
mustafa0aboud

How about a Note 5?

Darin Ridgeway

I’m wondering, now not sure on this so feel free to comment, if Apple has some sort of patent on the fingerprint reader being built into the screen?

mitchb312

not a finger print sensor you dunderheads it’s a heart rate monitor

robahoy

I don’t think they have thought how people open phone ..I use my left thumb

MikeEdge
MikeEdge

The fs is just too high up in the back, as someone who uses s7edge I can definitely say it’s too damn high.
Dissapointed as for now

Gustavo Correa Moura
Gustavo Correa Moura

really man? I don’t even have long fingers and I can reach that easily…

MikeEdge
10 months 12 days ago
MikeEdge

So it seems we’re not holding the phone the same way, when using it I’m placing my grab on the bottom. Not in the middle, of course I can reach the top but it will be worse than now. And a new s8 should progress and not have drawbacks that s7/s6 don’t have.

manolitovictoria
manolitovictoria

Pythagoras would be really angry… a^2+b^2=c^2 does not hold in these renders…

Mastamolvi

Look carefully at the measurements. The s8 is 131.58 in screen length and full phone length is also 131.58 which is not possible. The diagonal 143.05 over 1cm of the phones size.
The s8 plus is 142.34 in screen length and the full phone length is 159.53. The diagonal is 154.46. 5mm less than phones length. Something is wrong with this post.

Mastamolvi

These are the dimensions of the s7 edge 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm, and the dimensions for the s8 plus are 159.53 × 73.37mm. If the s8 plus is almost a centimetre longer than the s7 edge thats way to long so what was the point of reducing the bezels.

jjcommonsense
jjcommonsense
I mean… I hear peoples complaints about the location of the fingerprint sensor but its essentially in the same place that the other makers have put it… if only slightly further to the left. I personally am not a fan of it and wish they had come through with that technology where they put the fingerprint sensor under the screen itself. Samsung has been putting the heartrate sensor on the back of the phone for years, i wonder what their analytics show about how many people actually use that thing. I dont.. but maybe billions do… I’m just scared that… Read more »
stoertebecker
stoertebecker

Well i am also somehow a junkie but this one cures me. It is so stupid to put the scanner on the back. How should it work in a car holder ?. I fear the developers lost their mind or too funny things.
Now i am hoping for the Note 8. Or samsung bye bye

mustafa0aboud
10 months 12 days ago
mustafa0aboud

Use the iris scanner or unlock it using Google voice recognition.

robahoy

My sentiments exactly

caesantos
caesantos

The fingerprint scanner is located at an unatural place to touch. It’s an inappropriated position. If Samsung is really going to put it on the back, then it has to position it below the camera lenses, in a way that doesn’t matter if you’re right-handed or left-handed.

papashex
papashex

It’s apparent Samsung is thinking REALLY far ahead towards interplanetary sales. No one on earth is going to be able to comfortably hold the phone and touch the sensor with only one hand.

christianbeccy
christianbeccy

Errors in the render. The overall measurement is the same as the screen height. I’m calling BS, these are pretty weak to be believable.

Martin R.
Martin R.

I emailed the source to show them this error. This is nothing more then a mistake. CNET KOR is a credible source. They revealed the G5 modular design….

cotti24e
cotti24e

So they put FP against the heartrate monitor. than the other thing maybe wi`ll be a real Blitz flash ? like Sony Ericsson used on their old old devices with impressive cameras ? look`s like it`s the same size as that Blitzès we`re . (Sorry if bad English)

harinsheth
harinsheth

Using note 4 and want front side fingerscan
But belive me in anyway by left or right hand if i pick up or hold my phone my first finger always goes to that side of the camera
So i think samsung is right if they do so

Btw i dont care about design much as of now…coz i wany best cpu gpu and of course ir blaster or xiaomi , here i come ..

robahoy

IR blaster..Wtf for

NotReallySamsungFan
NotReallySamsungFan

Iris scanning.

ikonrt
ikonrt

For me, Samsung has died. I have Note 4(SM-N910C), my wife and the children have S5. With the infrared we control almost all devices at home. This year we buy 4 x Huawei Mate 9 because infrared is in it. Samsung can remain stubborn (Sorry for my English).

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o
Most modern tech are all connected to Wi-Fi. There’s a whole industry called the IoT – The Internet of Things which is all about communication between devices and Wi-Fi is the hub of it all. IR blasters is getting somewhat dated now. I have a Samsung TV that I can control using my phone but not through IR, but Wi-Fi because my TV is connected to the same connection. Don’t get mad at Samsung for moving away from dated tech. I know there’s a niche people who still use IR, but that is most likely because all their devices are… Read more »
harinsheth
harinsheth

I can control any tv & sound system & projector and many many more systems with ir blaster even if that system is old or new
So think twice which is better

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

IR is getting phased out. My housemate was recently looking for a new speaker system, none of them in store had IR control capabilities. Some were Bluetooth only, some were Wi-Fi only, and some were both.
Why use an IR blaster when you’re connected over Wi-Fi that can be controlled anywhere in the house? IR may be cheap but the cost of adding it to the device adds up and for the majority of people, (as I said before, IR people are a niche market) it is unnecessary.

warlockba
warlockba

Because in corporate meeting rooms, just because Samsung says that IR Blaster is outdated, companies will not exchange all beamers or VoIP systems because of that – and most of them nowadays work IR Blaster only …

billywongwashere
billywongwashere

The small model measurements looks incorrect as same as the size measurements

ANWIN REVAZE

double tap to wake and a revamped iris scanner is how things will be..front panel will be just wow thanks to the edge to edge display and fp for me is not badly placed..ive been trying to reach out to the heart rate sensor and i find it comfy.what i am looking forward is to the overall upgrade from s7 to s8 to decide on getting one.

woody365
woody365

I’m sticking with my S7 edge.

tiborh
tiborh

I will never buy a phone with rear FP scanner

ANWIN REVAZE

iphones will be the only with non rear fp scanner in the future..trust me

Lukasz1536
Lukasz1536

That’s why I will upgrade my S7 to the iPhone 7 Plus on the April. If this renders are true Samsung is dead for me.

FP on the rear is unacceptable for me. Plus this boring S6/S7 looks.
I wanna FP on the front panel and design like a Note 7 and I can buy new S8.

stevles
stevles

I’d rethink your usage of the word “upgrade” there considering you’d be switching to far more dated technology in design, technology and usability.

maartenverbunt
maartenverbunt
I am really turned of by the position of the fingerprint reader. It hardly couldn’t be in a more awkward position. There will be fingerprint smudges all over the camera lens! Not to mention that it will be hard to reach, especially for the lager phone. I have owned all Galaxy S phones apart from the Galaxy S2. This will be the first Galaxy phone that I intend to skipper. Hopefully things will be beter on the Galaxy Note 8. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I am surprised that Samsung didn’t seem to think this trough. It must be the most used… Read more »
Someone Else
You said you own the Galaxy S6/S7, right? Now, try to rest your finger at the Galaxy S6/S7’s heart-rate sensor (which is on the right side of the camera) while holding your phone with your right hand. Comfy, ain’t it? You will know that your finger will rest PERFECTLY on the right side of the camera. I’ve done this with my S6 edge, so I know what I’m talking about. So, the rear fingerprint sensor on the right side of the camera makes a lot of sense. The Galaxy S8 will be about the same size of that the S6… Read more »
stevles
stevles

Wrong. One in ten people are left handed, undeniably more than 10 percent hold their phone with their left hand (I do and I’m right handed)
Try it with your left hand, knowing this is going to be a device that is with a 5.8 – 6.2 inch screen (same size as the S6 and S7 my arse). Notice how you have to stretch your finger more then what is comfortable? Assuming of course you don’t have gigantic hands.
Now, imagine this with a device bearing a 6.2 inch screen.
I’ll pass. I prefer my finger print scanners to be more accessible.

eugenedfourie
eugenedfourie

I agree, the fingerprint sensor in the place of the heart rate sensor is of no concern to me. I have an S7 edge and find that I never accidently touch the camera lens while trying to reach to heart rate sensor.

deardevil
deardevil

now,you do like this”place your phone on a flat surface,and try to unlock the phone to see notifications. can you?you can’t,thats what most of us do with front Fingerprint reader.you can work with the phone without ever have to lift it up the surface.but with rear Fingerprint reader you cant.its like they give us more screen but take it out things we like to use.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

swipe the screen to use your pattern/pin. Problem solved, or just pick the phone up?! seriously do not understand why people can’t just pick up their phone. you have an LED notification, AOD and screen wake for notifications its easy to see if you need to respond to your phone while it is flat on the desk or not

eugenedfourie
eugenedfourie

And then you have the added iris scanner to unlock, problem solved?

preime101
preime101

nope as you will then have to be facing directly at the phone within a certain distance ant a certain angle.

rmbln01
rmbln01

Always On Display & Iris Scanner… these two features will definitely solve your concerns.

SenorSjon
SenorSjon

Not when you are driving and the phone is sitting in its car holder. 😉

eugenedfourie
eugenedfourie

Well, then you have Smart Lock to unlock as soon as your car bluetooth connects?

woody365
woody365

Apart from having to pick the phone up every time you want to use it. I can unlock my S7 while it sits on a table and quickly and conveniently use it. Wave goodbye to that overlooked luxury.

seanroberts1
seanroberts1

I’ve got both the S7 Edge and the Pixel and i find it far more easier to use the S7 when at my desk or in the car that the pixel with its rear fingerprint sensor, yes I can double tap the screen and use the pattern to unlock it but it’s far easier and quicker with the front fingerprint on the S7

eugenedfourie
eugenedfourie

I have smart lock enabled for my car, so don’t need to use fingerprint any way. Front or back.

wpDiscuz