Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S8 could come in 5.7-inch and 6.2-inch screen size variants, and with stereo speakers

We’ve heard plenty of rumors regarding Samsung’s next flagship smartphones, including the ones which claim that the Galaxy S8 would feature an optical fingerprint sensor and a touch-based power button. Now, a new rumor states that the Galaxy S8 could come in two screen sizes: 5.7 inches and 6.2 inches. This is an increase of more than half an inch when compared to the screens on the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 edge. However, it is being rumored that the screens on the upcoming smartphones curve on all the sides, so there will be minimal impact on the physical size of these devices.

It is also being rumored that the Galaxy S8 could come with stereo speakers, especially since the iPhone 7 already have them. However, it is not yet known whether they will be made by HARMAN, which Samsung recently acquired, but they could be licensed by HARMAN. This rumor doesn’t gel well with a previous report which stated that HARMAN-powered speakers could be introduced in Galaxy smartphones, but no sooner than 2018.

Take these rumors with an appropriate grain of salt as we can’t be sure of anything till Samsung announces these features on the stage during the unveiling of the Galaxy S8 smartphones next year.

Source

Phones 12

Hahnski
Hahnski

I hope that the IR Blaster is reintroduced 😉

penguino
penguino

Dear Sammy, please don’t remove Minijack. Don’t make this mistake. That will put off many potential buyers, including me.
One more thing – don’t make smaller version any bigger than current S7 flat. Our hands aren’t getting bigger, there’s still market for iPhone 7 competitor. Any size increase will be noticeable so 5,7″ even with small bezels will be too much.

RoryBreak
RoryBreak

Samsung need to understand something…MY HANDS AREN’T GETTING ANY BIGGER!!!! While I’m at it, not all of us want curved screens. It’s a gimmick & I HATE THEM!

Also Gorilla Glass is more like Monkey Glass. I had 2 of these phones take on minor drops & the entire back & front shattered both times.

And lastly, thinner isn’t better…Note 7 anyone! Thinner actually makes the phone harder to hold & I would much rather a battery that could get me through the day than one that’s a few millimeters smaller.

penguino
penguino

Gorills Glass is better than any other glass we know. There’s no alternative. I agree about the size, I disagree about the edge – I love it, I think it looks fantastic S6 edge was a sunning compact device.

MStuart
MStuart

All I want is a 5″ inch flat display with a decent screen to body ratio. No gimmicks, no stupid curves, no bullshit. Samsung’s S7 was the only phone on the market that had all of that. If they take that away I’m not going to be too happy…

penguino
penguino

You’ll have to wait for A5 2017. Good phone for less demanding users.

Michollstad
Michollstad

There is definitely a market for these larger screens. Also, if Samsung removes the home button (which has been rumored in many articles by now) the physical sizes will not differ that much from the previous S7 models. I really hope Samsung incorporates a bezel-less edge-to-edge-display like the Mi Mix to achieve this. It is definitely possible.

penguino
penguino

There is a market for larger screens, but there’s also a market for smaller devices (5,1″ small device – who would’ve thought?). Samsung is making two flagships so they can satisfy both groups.

maccyb
maccyb

Wven with curved screens its impossible to say there will be a minimal impact on the physical device size with a 6.2″ screen. Take out a pencil and copy a bezel free 5.7″ screen, and extend it to 6.2″. It will be much bigger than you might think. It’s one rumor I definitely take with a pinch of salt.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

I read about this rumour a while back, I don’t think they’ll go this big, Apple knows there is a market for a smaller flagship, I think the sizes they have now are on point. either that or stick with the one size and bring back the “Mini” moniker for a smaller less expensive flagship like device.

bgsky
bgsky

I`ll buy 6 inches model instantly. May be i`ll wait 30 days for … you know 🙂

djares21
djares21

the size of screen is to big ! so if this is true im not gonna buy ! il go with S7 normal one not curved ! i hate curved display !!

wpDiscuz