Rumor: Galaxy S III and Note II to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat by March end

The Galaxy Note 3 has started receiving the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update while we’ve seen a couple of leaked firmware for the Galaxy S4, and that has naturally made owners of the company’s 2012 flagships wonder when it will be their turn to hop on to the latest version of the OS. A rumor late last year suggested that the Galaxy S III and Note II would be updated to Android 4.4.2 before April this year, and now, according to insider info received by Android Geeks, both device should begin receiving the update by the end of March.

Now, many will probably just shake their heads at that, but unlike the Android 4.3 update, which took months to arrive on the S III and Note II, the KitKat update does have a high chance of making its way to users by March. Both variants of the Galaxy Note 3 were updated to KitKat in record time (if only because KitKat isn’t exactly a major update), and while the update’s only just out in a couple of countries at the moment, Samsung should be able to kick off the rollout for the S III and Note II rather quickly as well. At least, that’s what we hope, but we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Firmware news 87

terrandroid
3 years 2 months ago
terrandroid

WE WANT KITKAT!

amithsna
3 years 3 months ago
amithsna

Will Samsung GT-I9300(India) get a 4.4.2 update?? or is it still just a rumour?

ameer8124
3 years 3 months ago
ameer8124

i am waiting for the 4.4 firmware fo s3 without any issue. because 4.3 stucks for me gitting hang…still waiting for update…

the1asem
3 years 4 months ago
the1asem

It’s funny because I just received the 4.3 update TODAY ☺

manthan2611
3 years 4 months ago
manthan2611

GT N7100 IS REDY\

cnrp7777
cnrp7777

I hope my note 2 will receive android 4.4.2 soon because nothing change on my device after I updated android 4.3 on it. Android 4.4 will be better than 4.3.

cocolopez
3 years 4 months ago
cocolopez

You need to try the leak rom in xda….4.4.2 its working great….;)

dellamr
dellamr

cant wait for kitkat in my s3

waywardyouth
waywardyouth

NOTE: Samsung is the poorest company in this GALAXY 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

waywardyouth
waywardyouth

I think Samsung has a USB flash memory with Android 4.3 update in it. And one guy from Samsung is travelling from one country to another country to distribute the update file. That’s why every week they release one country. HAHAHAHAHA 🙂 🙂 :). YOU ARE REALLY POOR COMPANY.

cakirbay21
cakirbay21

pöhh not2 4.3 almamamış Türkiyede 44 ne zaman gelir bilinmez samsung çok yavaş Türkiye yavaş yavaş vazgeçiyor artık

pbm5362
pbm5362
Is there a reason to go off like this? It will not get the update out any faster. I don’t know if your specific device is carrier branded but people forget to realize that it’s the wireless carriers that are usually the culprits of updates being delayed. They add their bloatware and do their supposed extensive testing and that’s why sometimes updates are slow to get out. Also, if the carriers find a bug or issue during testing, they have to send it back to Samsung and start the whole process again from scratch. Take me for instance, my S3… Read more »
jatinkhatri
jatinkhatri

+1 nice explanation

waywardyouth
waywardyouth

Thank you very much. This information was very helpful. But what I don’t understand is Samsung engineers must be highly skilled, hi-tech engineers. For one update 3 months is a very long time to fix the issues. Whar are doing for 3 months or as you said 6 months? For high skilled software engineers this is a shame. They are just delaying the update for one purpose, they want to sell more of Note 3. It is not the matter of solving issues of Android 4.3.

pbm5362
pbm5362
Thats a very valid point and thanks for not flying off the handle. The reason why I brought up the carrier point is that they’re part of the reason why updates are delayed. I think the reason why updates are tied up on Samsung’s end is because of how bogged down TouchWiz is. That could change after Google telling them to lay off of the extreme customizations they put over Android and also the patent deal they both signed. Samsung has a 24 month support period which means the S3 will see another update and the Note 2 will most… Read more »
tsabrak
tsabrak

Now Samsung is going one step further. This days people want newest hardware and newest software. Sgs2, sgs3, note, note2 still have good spec’s. Tell me which company you will choose? One who after they release their product they discontinue any software update or give you one update. Or second company who after releasing their product supports it for at least next three years. Answer is simple. I hope this is new Samsung’s strategy. This could even affect nexus sales.

sandorag
sandorag

Agree with you…..

Targonis
Targonis
For those who missed it, the 4.3 update for the S3 increases the memory footprint to .095GB or above. For those with a 1GB version of the S3, this caused all those horrible problems with the original 4.3 release. Now, for those with devices that have less than 1.5GB of RAM then, you HAVE to expect that Samsung learned from its mistakes, and wouldn’t release the update to yet more devices until the memory footprint can be reduced. This is where the 4.4 update comes in, which Google intended to work on devices with as little as 512MB of RAM.… Read more »
YossK
YossK
You’re right. If only people knew a few things before yelling in here 😀 I’d love to see them work hard on updates for ALL counties and realize how long it could take hahah ! I have the S III (GT-I9300) which has 1 GB of RAM, and I just got the 4.3 update (Jan. 2014 thanks to the KIES, not regular OTA) and I was seriously hoping that it would increase my device fluidity. It did a little bit, but I was surprised to see that my phone still takes 3-5 seconds to open regular applications like sms, contacts… Read more »
pbm5362
pbm5362

ikhyquartzz23
ikhyquartzz23

How about S3 mini (GT-I8190) ??
Would it receive kitkat firmware update ??

trolloface
trolloface

Hope samsung will update kernel and apps on note 2

fzrysr
fzrysr

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have galaxy s3 and I installed android 4.3. After I installed android 4.3 I can not instagram internet and gmail. I deleted when programs (instagram,gmail) running but it doesn’t work again :'( I m now so upset

salamamohamed
salamamohamed

I don’t believe this words..
I think we will get this update befor april..
My s3 still in 4.1.2 in egypt.. I didn’t received new update..tooooo late

sguyx
sguyx

Have you already sold enough 10.1 2014 model to update our 10.1 2012 finally? We have still 4.1.2 – wake up samsung!!

androidscualdroid
androidscualdroid

actualizen el s3 mini i8190L ese nunca lo an actualizada actualizenlo a 4.2.2 o 4.3 o de preferencia 4.4 pero ya actualizenlo…….

atermon
atermon

ant+
ant+
ant+
c’mon Sammy, rise to your potential.

jameszah
jameszah

That is excellent news for my Note II, but what about my Note 10.1 (2012), will we ever receive this update????!!!!! such a superb tablet/note without updates for all this time. Please update especially for multi user support (and maybe overclock to 1.6 like Note 2)

gewsan
gewsan

Kit kat on devices that are not the Galaxy Note 3 and s4, only if you rub the Nestle chocolate on top of the screen. More respect, Samsung.

sharique786
sharique786

Samsung suck…apple is much better than Samsung. …now I will never buy Samsung. ….

sharique786
sharique786

In our dreams we will get update in march end. Till now we didn’t get android 4.3 and they are saying we will get android 4.4 update. They are ass hole we wont get it.

iitzjohnny92
iitzjohnny92

I don’t know why you are all complaining about a simple update. My note 2 was updated to 4.3 in december here in the United States. Samsung confirmed that android 4.4 will be released on the end of Jan or beginning of Feb for the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Mega users. For the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 android 4.4 will be released in the end of March or the beginning of April. If your device isn’t updated yet to 4.3, don’t worry about it. If you really want 4.3 on your device DOWNLOAD SAMSUNG KIES!

darthduwan
darthduwan

if this is true them we’ll receive it by may or june, by then there could be android 6 hehehe

wpDiscuz