Galaxy S4 and Note 3 to get Android 4.4 in January, S III and Note II before April 2014?

Ever since Google unveiled Android 4.4 KitKat, we’ve been wondering when Samsung will bring the latest version of the world’s most popular OS to its smartphones. We were told by our insiders that Samsung is already testing Android 4.4 on the Galaxy Note 3, and now a leaked document obtained by iTechAddict suggests that the update will be coming to the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 in January next year, while yesteryear flagships will be receiving it sometime between March and April.

Now, there’s no telling whether this document is fake or the real deal, but provided it’s the latter, it looks like it won’t be too long a wait, at least for owners of the S4 and Note 3, for the sweet and chocolaty new Android version. Well, that’s if Samsung can get everything done in time – TouchWiz is getting heavier and more feature-packed in each iteration, and porting all the features over to Android KitKat might not prove to be an easy or quick task.

kitkat-leaked-doc-s4-note-3

All we can hope is that Samsung takes its time and tests the updates before rolling them out, because, as we saw with the Android 4.3 updates for the S III and S4, that can result in quite the buggy experience for many users. Oh, and let’s also hope that Google doesn’t unveil a newer version of Android before KitKat arrives on the aforementioned devices, lest Samsung skip 4.4 like it skipped 4.2.2 and decides to keep us waiting for months on end.

Source

Phones 47

MOMiN
3 years 3 months ago
MOMiN

For whoever have’t update his note 2 to 4.3 v and still on
4.1.2 just keep it that way cuz am cryin out loud regrating to updated my note 2 to 4.3 as it has lots of faults.
1- battery drain
2- sleep mode problem – ( if you leave ur note2 for 5 min then it will never wakes unless you restart it)
3- takes lots of rams while you have no running apps.
So take my advice stay on 4.1.2 as it’s the best.

leahncraig
3 years 4 months ago
leahncraig

This is the only advantage ios has over android they update all there devices at the same time Don’t get me rong I no that’s because they only have there own phones and tables to do where’s android has lots of different companies just wish at least when the company’s like samsung update there devices They would do them all at the same time or the same week

cotti24e
3 years 5 months ago
cotti24e

GT-I9505 get 4.4.2… I9500 why not ? why we don’t get the update at the same time ? I9500 is also and Galaxy S4 ! I`m feeling discriminated !

nangroe
3 years 5 months ago
nangroe

where is KitKat 4.4 update for Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) ?

ersinbull
3 years 6 months ago
ersinbull
What about Turkey? You sold Note3 N9000Q in Turkey, even we didn’t want that version. Now you ignore us while upgrading to 4.4.2 kitkat. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?… Read more »
ersinbull
3 years 6 months ago
ersinbull

Samsung,

God damn you!

You brought a second quality phone to Turkey.(Note3 N9000 iso N9005). Now, you upgrade N9005 to Android 4.4.2 Kit-kat, first. Do you think that we don’t pay any money for N9000? The price is the same, the service we get is much less.

So, god damn you!

betelchus
betelchus

Hope you may remember our great Galaxy s2 i9100/py what update to 4.4KITKAT
Was several years as buqye logo and even can give a lot of trouble, provided they do not forget it.

Targonis
Targonis
The reason 4.2 was skipped was because it was mostly features that overlapped what Samsung already offered with its own apps. 4.3 on the other hand adds a number of new elements that made it a useful update to get out there(not to mention Galaxy Gear support needing it). KitKat on the other hand will be another one that will be a big update, so there will be NO reason to skip it. In addition to that, it will probably be the final update for the S3 and maybe the Note 2, so of course it will show up.
sguyx
sguyx

Do NOT click the source link! Containing popups-adware!

mada222
mada222

This is fake document because note 2 name is gt-n7100 not sm-n7100

bonoandu2
bonoandu2

I have a galaxy note 2 (sph-L900) this sam mobile site said i would recieve the 4.3 uodate on Nov 20th. Its the 23rd. Giving them a few days so that my phone will gwt it. Still nothing. My fone has been acting up weird these past couple days.

n9ixw
n9ixw

After finding a major bug with 4.1.2 I found that Samsung had released 4.3. However… Sprint was not going to push the update till mid January 2014. After speaking with Samsung, I was told that if the local Best Buy had a Samsung Experience booth they could update my Note 2 (L900) to Android 4.3 immediately. So off to Best Buy I go tomorrow as the local Best Buy store ha a Samsung Experience Booth.

nedyalkov19
nedyalkov19

First get 4.3 for my note 2 in europe then talk about 4.4. Not that I am not happy, but I just want the god d*mn 4.3 because I have been waiting for this update for months

n900mixalot
n900mixalot

EXACTLY–who CARES about whether it’s 4.3 or 4.4, or 8.9 … It’s the Samsung features update most of us are looking forward to.

The rest have no idea what they’re clamoring over.

sguyx
sguyx

– Well what about user profiles? (a4.1 doesnt have that?)
– Possible trim addition? (you definitely would love that without even knowing)

– Gear compatibility (samsung feature like you said)
– If you own Note, then you appreciate that S Note files are compatible with these other Note devices. (samsung feature like you said, or more like fixing the problem caused by samsung itself)

etc…

kozanteoman
kozanteoman

Before s3 4.2 june . After skipped.
Before S3 4.3 October. After November delayed. Results : error
Before s3 4.4 March- April. After July- August delay or skip.. Result: by by samsung

rma1902
rma1902
Hi everybody.I have galaxy note(n7000) for about 2 years and I think its a good phone and my brother has sony xperia TX and after working with both I think note is better device but last month I read a news that Samsung doesn’t want to update note anymore and today I read a news that sony will update TX to android 4.4 and I got mad of samsung that why doesn’t want to update note and I don’t think there is any technical problem cause android 4.4 works with devices that have as low as 512MB of ram.I think… Read more »
Phoenix2
Phoenix2

Google also has an 18 month life policy with its devices that it wants all OEMs to abide by. That being said, with devices like the S2 and Note, Samsung extended that to two years (although probably because they were slow). The Xperia TX relatively new I believe so.

sguyx
sguyx
Like you said, there is big difference between Samsung and Google (or any other competitors). My Note 10.1(n8000) got A 4.1. on january 2013, 10 months ago and since then nothing. No A4.2, no news about A4.3 or 4.4. With Samsung the life policy should be 5 years, because they are slow to make updates, if they do.. Like whats the problem with note2 and kitkat? Why not lighter kitkat for older note2? Why not updates for their first tablet size phone (n8000)? A flagship without updates? Even the much cheaper Asus tf300 has already 4.2. since march. Or Samsung… Read more »
miguelinho
miguelinho

I too am in o2 uk they are so damn slow with updates.

I messaged them on Twitter about 4.3 for My note 2 they told me it be hopefully before the end of December, whatever that means

mobilecracker
mobilecracker

what about n7000 note 1.did they forget about the update

vakerblak
3 years 7 months ago
vakerblak

خرا بزا خخختخ ilove all

q8peace
q8peace
actually every s model of Samsung international phone get three update if back to s3 when it first release u gonna find it come with ice cream sandwich and update to jelly bean 4.1 and 4.3 and in future kitkat going to be the last update – same thing with s2 it came with ginger bread to ice cream sandwich and finally jelly bean 4.1 even older s1 get 2.1 to 2.2 and than 2.3 ginger bread final . so every s series gets three update no more than that s3 going to get both 4.3 and 4.4 touchwiz ,… Read more »
Mohab45
Mohab45

Actually there were only 2 updates for the s2 from ginger bread to icecream sandwich and from icecream sandwich to 4.1 jellybean.

gourav92
gourav92

why it so? why like dat ? why dey give only 3 major updates?

leahncraig
3 years 4 months ago
leahncraig

It’s the same with ios too it’s mainly because as the software gets better the older devices Can’t run it or can run it but not very well because of ram or other hardware problems Including storage plus it encourages people to buy any devices To get the updates

q8peace
q8peace

i dont know really but touchwiz is getting more features that cant hold older devices thats why they only care about three major update 🙁

gourav92
gourav92

oh kk fine by me 🙂

zrv000
zrv000

Note 2 model no. is GT-N7100 NOT SM-N7100

iwantschak
iwantschak

So if samsung release android kitkat in January then am on O2-uk – COZ THEY TAKE DECADES TO UPDATE there devices – it will be Dec 2016 before we get it!!! Makes me angry!!! :@

Vbyte
3 years 7 months ago
Vbyte
Just flash your device to any free from all networks stock firmware without rooting it and as a consequence without avoiding your warranty and official status of the device. I bought my Galaxy S4 from Vodafone and flashed to German free from all networks DBT firmware and I’m verry happy now. I’m getting all the updates in time, which Samsung is rolling out. I advice you to flash exactly German DBT firmware becouse Germany is first of all, who gets the updates from Samsung. And their firmware isn’t so restrictive, you can delete all preinstalled applications in this firmware if… Read more »
lenka07
lenka07

Lo malo que no toman en cuenta los otros dispositivos como galaxy s3 T-Mobile y otros 🙁

ewilts
ewilts

> lest Samsung skip 4.4 like it skipped 4.2.2

I’m a T-Mobile customer in the US. My S4 is running 4.2.2.

wpbogdan
wpbogdan

You are a t-mobile idiot in the us. They skipped 4.2.2 just for s3 and note 2.

gourav92
gourav92

iam fed up with samsung design looks same for all after s3(1yr passed since i brought) more over andriod devices drop their price as fast as it can……so my next smartphone will be iphone6(if rumors true and they increase their display size to min 5inches) or else microsoft lumia aka nokia lumias if they got all good apps etc……

Phoenix2
Phoenix2

Cool story bro. This isn’t even relevant to the article. Complain somewhere else.

CRappleSuXorZ
CRappleSuXorZ
Yeah I’d rather have an iPhone. The iPhone 5s was evolutionary compared to the iPhone 5. Apple keeps upping the bar with each new phone they release. And let’s not forget the show stopping iPhone 5c. This is definitely the phone of the year. Switch to iPhone all you want from Android. You will be regretting your decision woefully. The iPhone 5s does have good build quality, but so does my Note 3. And the Note 3 makes the iPhone 5s look like a toy. The Note 3 is for real productivity (personal or business), not just for playing Angry… Read more »
leahncraig
3 years 4 months ago
leahncraig

Well said the note is a grown ups phone ill never use a iphone again my son has my old 4s perfect for a 9 yr old lol

nambavuong
nambavuong

in your dream :)) you think apple will increase their display size 5inch???? and the windows phone will have many good apps like android???? u can root your phone easy with samsung galaxy…. and your phone will be updated the new android version with 2 years….

gourav92
gourav92

well all present rumours suggest dat next flagship iphone have 5 inch or 4.8 inch display :p and coming to windows some main giving there way to windows . so lets see what happens…

leahncraig
3 years 4 months ago
leahncraig
Hello they said the same thing about the 5s if appel was gonna do a bigger screen phone they could of done it instead of the crappy 5c a 5s xl would of been a much better use of there time!! but it ain’t gonna happen they belive a phone doesn’t need to a a big screen (Yr right) and if ur Bord with a Samsung I give u a month with a iphone no themes widgets nothing there the playnest most boring phone out there and that ain’t gonna change Appel are control freaks they will never let ios… Read more »
lkofod1234
3 years 6 months ago
lkofod1234

iam fed up with samsung design looks same for all after s3????

HAHAHA and then u say u go to iphone? how exactly has they changed the UI since the first iphone? IOS is still the same looks . borin tiles and 4×5 apps. even iphone5 was sold with exact same software as the first iphone

scottlohr
scottlohr

i agree where is the 4.3 update for the Galaxy S 3 Gt-I9300. if they cant get the 4.3 to work what makes them think they will get the 4.4 to work

Paps Duke
Paps Duke

Let’s hope its real,before i can give my “real” comments regarding this post if not all i’am writing is [___]

gourav92
gourav92

first of all where is my 4.3 for s3 international……….how many days still i have to wait………

sguyx
sguyx

Be happy that youre only talking about days… My premium line, “flagship”, Note 10.1 (n8000) got its update on january from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1.2. and been there already 10 months without updates. Still waiting to get newer but no news about new Android version. Shortly: samsung sucks!

popsamblue316
popsamblue316

same story here….n8000…still waiting for news….wish Samsung will unify their os upgrade…let every galaxy get their upgrade together…this just shows their loose control over their os…very sad…nevertheless…rooting is on my mind….

wpDiscuz