December security patch update arrives on Galaxy A3 (2016) and A3 (2017)

Home / News / December security patch update arrives on Galaxy A3 (2016) and A3 (2017)

Samsung is pushing out updates to a multitude of devices this week, and the latest devices to receive an update are the 2016 and 2017 models of the Galaxy A3, the smallest of Samsung’s premium mid-range phones that the company didn’t upgrade for the 2018 lineup. The update brings the December security patch to both devices; there’s nothing else of importance on offer, at least not in terms of user-facing features.

Galaxy A3 (2016) and Galaxy A3 (2017) owners can see if the update is available for their device by tapping the Download updates manually option in the Settings » Software update menu. The update will take time to propagate to all regions, so if it isn’t already available in your country, be sure to check again in a few days. It’s possible not every country will see an update with the December patch, as Samsung doesn’t release regular updates for non-flagship devices. In that case, you’ll just have to hold out until the company decides to release an update for your country with the most recent security fixes.

Thanks, Arif!

Firmware news 19

Jordan14447
3 months 24 days ago
Jordan14447

I got it also on my A5 2017 (with the BGL ROM). It was 431,12 MB. What’s including:
– New Camera functions – Selfie Focus, Stamp, Skin Tone, AR Sticker
– The stability of Network connections has been improved
– December security patch

Amal N K
3 months 26 days ago
Amal N K

The update has even arrived on Galaxy A5 2016 Indian model.

cool8912
3 months 25 days ago
cool8912

How big is the update?

Amal N K
3 months 25 days ago
Amal N K

Only december security patch… 14MB

Shenoysiddhant
3 months 26 days ago
Shenoysiddhant

Note 4 hasnt received an update since long now guess they forgot about it completely

cool8912
3 months 25 days ago
cool8912

Because it is an old phone what do u expect? Upgrade if you want security patches..

locarno
3 months 26 days ago
locarno

Did you noticed that last time Samsung isn’t informing about build number in changelog ?

PJaya
3 months 26 days ago
PJaya

Yes, there is no more showing version on update screen

viijayy
3 months 27 days ago
viijayy

Why no a8 mini aka a3 2018 this year ?

cool8912
3 months 25 days ago
cool8912

Probably because the screen is small for infinity display and wouldn’t be fair if a5 and a7 got it while a3 didnt..

fcaroll
3 months 27 days ago
fcaroll

UK S7 does skip updates too, still ridiculous

cool8912
3 months 25 days ago
cool8912

Ikr uk updates are so slow

3 months 27 days ago
Adam Chamberlain

Yet the UK sim free note 8 bought direclty from samsung is still stuck on the August patch
I mean wtf?

Coops86
3 months 27 days ago
Coops86

I messaged SamsungUK on Twitter a week or so ago regarding updates. This was their response:

“There’s no information on this at the moment. When this changes, we’ll let you know. Do keep an eye out!”

I would have been interested in the VPN service but now I’m not going to bother now. I wonder what Samsung HQ would think that they are losing money because their UK arm isn’t pushing out new paid features to their flagship.

3 months 26 days ago
Adam Chamberlain

I sent them a message using the support section of the samsung members app and got a generic reply of we push updates out when they are needed ect
Seems like they have no clue as the same phone on all rhe networks have even got the update before the sim free ones

Coops86
3 months 26 days ago
Coops86

I mentioned that to them in my message. I asked why other regions and carriers in the UK are pushing out updates but not Samsung themselves. That question wasn’t answered. I even mentioned the DeX error hadn’t been fixed either.

I had a Nexus 6P before my Note 8 so I was aware updates wouldn’t be as regular. For an entire arm of Samsung refusing to push updates out while others are is getting very frustrating.

3 months 26 days ago
Adam Chamberlain

Yea its stupid
Samsung send it to the carriers to test and add their bloat so theyve obviously got it ready to go just not pushing the button

Coops86
3 months 26 days ago
Coops86

Exactly. To say they have no info on any updates is either a lie or the people in support don’t have access to that information.

I’ve started to get concerned about the 8.0 update as well. I can see other regions and UK carriers getting it but some guy at Samsung UK just shrugs his shoulders because he doesn’t think its’ important.

I’m tempted to try and get a few people together and just tweet them several times a day for a week asking for the updates. Especially that the DeX vulnerability still hasn’t be patched on our devices.

3 months 22 days ago
Adam Chamberlain

I got sick of waiting after being fobbed off time and again by support and ive just manualy flashed the newest firmware
Im now on December security patch with the updated camera and the dex vulnerability patched ect