Samsung temporarily halts rollout of Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge Oreo update

Home / News / Samsung temporarily halts rollout of Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge Oreo update

After months of beta testing, Samsung finally started rolling out the Android 8.0 Oreo update in February beginning with the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Since then, the company has gradually pushed out the update to many older devices in its lineup. Earlier this month, the company started rolling out the Oreo update to the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge – its flagship devices from 2016. Unfortunately, it looks like some Galaxy S7 and S7 edge users who updated their phones to Android 8.0 Oreo are encountering boot loops and reboots. Taking note of these complaints, Samsung has reportedly halted the rollout of the Oreo update for the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge temporarily.

Galaxy S7 Oreo update causing reboots on some devices

A moderator on Samsung’s official European help forum has confirmed this news to affected users by saying, “Following a limited number of cases where Galaxy S7 devices have rebooted unexpectedly with the Android 8.0 Oreo, we have temporarily stopped the rollout of the update. We are investigating the issue internally to ensure that the impact to the affected devices is minimized and the rollout of the update can resume as quickly as possible.”

The same information is also posted on the Notices section of Samsung’s Canadian help forum. The notice by the moderator says, “S7/S7 edge Android O upgrade is pending a fix for a technical issue discovered post initial rollout, Updates will be shared as available”. Currently, there is no information from Samsung about when it will resume the rollout of the update. In the meantime, if you are one of the affected users, you can try the following troubleshooting steps suggested by the moderator on the European help forum, though this would require a complete data wipe.

Despite months of beta testing, Samsung’s rollout of the Android 8.0 Oreo update hasn’t been smooth. Earlier this year, the company stopped the rollout of the Oreo update to the Galaxy S8/S8+ due to similar rebooting issues. The company fixed the bugs and resumed the rollout a couple of weeks later. It is disappointing to see another pair of Galaxy devices suffering from similar problems.

Have you run into reboot or other issues on your Galaxy S7 or S7 edge after updating to Oreo?

Via

Firmware news 112

kawai
14 hours 54 minutes ago
kawai

Ya Pues Samsung si ya solucionaron dicho problema con oreo con la rom BTU libere a los demás países norteamericanos y sudamericanos ya que con el ultimo parche de mierda del 1 de abril la batería va como la reverenda mierda no sea cagon lo unico que ganara esta compañía
es que la dejen de lado.

Matheusiq
1 day 3 hours ago
Matheusiq

The good news is i don’t care about Oreo, since I still use my S7 on Marshmallow. Yep, you read it right, I’m still in marshmallow because I want it

Tokher
9 hours 15 minutes ago
Tokher

You are one crazy person to be honest.

6 hours 40 minutes ago
Jafar Sadeghi

You are noob.

chamroeun2017
1 day 20 hours ago
chamroeun2017

When release in Cambodia ?

Sini s7
2 days 6 hours ago
Sini s7

I postponed selling my s7 edge when they started to rollout oreo hoping it will come fast but this is soooo disappointing. Bye bye samsung,never again

raulillo88
2 days 7 hours ago
raulillo88

I was dissapointed with Sony last year because my z5 compact received Android 7 in february, but this is much worst. It seems that we are going to have Android 8 in June. If Samsung do not extend their policy from two major updates to three for flagships this is going to be my last samsung

2 days 16 hours ago
donrojo

Breaking news: BTU just releasing Oreo for S7 Edge with May security patches
G935FXXU2ERE8/G935FOXA2ERE8/G935FXXU2ERD6 .

siaho
2 days 12 hours ago
siaho

There is a new update, but still on April security patch. Most likely trying to fix the problem/problems they found.

2 days 11 hours ago
aledepon

Are u shure it May security patch?
Maybe April security patch?

By the way Changelist 13438344 is same for both UK(BTU) Oreo updates….

marian933
2 days 11 hours ago
marian933

It is April sec. Patch

irvanknows
2 days 17 hours ago
irvanknows

i would not buy a samsung phone anymore better buy android one because samsung is very slow in system update

2 days 11 hours ago
aledepon

yea…. ok ….. and we believed that for shure!

huseyin32
2 days 22 hours ago
huseyin32

Uzun zamandir bugunu bekledim oreo yüklemek icin malesef hayal kirikligi yasıyorum ben bu telefona birhayli fazla para verdim gunceleme zamannindaalmak icin malesef beceremediniz güncelleme

sergiocorreia
3 days 2 hours ago
sergiocorreia

Same thing happened last year with the galaxy s6 nougat update, why don’t they test it properly first? They take ages to release system updates.

2 days 21 hours ago
aledepon

Well sometimes it seems we all become testers like this time with that UK Oreo update…
Same was faced on S6 devices on Nougat update…

2 days 19 hours ago
C F

Lol even their ativ s had problems during preview builds of 8.1 so 2 years later the sgh-t899m jumped from 8.0gdr3 to 8.1.1(when most devs pulled stuff from the store)

LazyKrazy
3 days 3 hours ago
LazyKrazy

For me there is no issue of bootloop or anything but in device maintenance>battery usage I do not get any stats for Cell Stand By, Android System, Android OS.. They all show active use = 0min, Background Use = 0min

2 days 22 hours ago
aledepon

back up everything and try to Wipe down the device and restart
i think the problem will be gone since the Os will be reinstalled 😉

2 days 19 hours ago
C F

Wouldnt be that drastic id try system cache partition 1st

rmbln01
3 days 4 hours ago
rmbln01

Can’t help but wonder. What exactly did they do to their phone that they got the bootloop issue.
I haven’t had any bootloop since I got the Oreo Update.

Well, anyways, it’s a good call for Samsung to call off the roll out before it affects more S7/S7E owners.

fcaroll
3 days 2 hours ago
fcaroll

It would have been a totally good thing if only this was march instead of may

2 days 22 hours ago
aledepon

Well like i said i got 4 devices with Oreo (G935F) and none bootloops or bugs found!

2 days 22 hours ago
aledepon

Well reading all this thread i saw like 99% people does not or did not face any problem and the rest of 1% facing problems like bootloops…

No make your conclusions…

2 days 19 hours ago
C F

Problems releated to gogles mdm or knox

zoobz
3 days 9 hours ago
zoobz

flashed mine 2 weeks ago, S7 edge feels like a new phone. No issues so far..

cerioni fabio
3 days 9 hours ago
cerioni fabio

Byebye Samsung

cerioni fabio
3 days 9 hours ago
cerioni fabio

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Tokher
3 days 10 hours ago
Tokher

This isn’t the news i was looking for.

rezajafari78
3 days 12 hours ago
rezajafari78

shit on you samsung , s7 was my last device!
my next phone is iphone!!
after 5 year or more iphone 5s receive update to ios11!!
but samsung just release 2major update maximum!
samsung is the best of quality but support and update is another thing!

iranabst
3 days 16 hours ago
iranabst

No , I installed it and there isn’t any problem , its work fine

utahman1971
3 days 16 hours ago
utahman1971

Can we say August for USA!

ST4LK4RS
3 days 20 hours ago
ST4LK4RS

Parem de enrolar toda vez e essa palhaçada chega perto do dia q vocês colocam aí já posta alguma coisa falando q aidanram as att vão ficar de palhaçada agora Samsung todos comentários q eu li nenhum tava tendo problema com Android 8.0 não. Acho q quem tá com problema são vocês da Samsung !!🤔

RazerZ7
3 days 18 hours ago
RazerZ7

Kkkkkkkkk’ Tem que dar risada pra não chorar mesmo… A Samsung deve estar pensando que forçando dessa maneira vão conseguir alavancar as vendas do S9. Na verdade o que eles estão conseguindo é fazer os seus consumidores criarem uma imagem suja da marca que não dá o suporte corretamente, de que adianta adquirir um top de linha se o mesmo fica fora de linha em pouquíssimo tempo? Bye Samsung.

3 days 21 hours ago
C F

Hadnt tried it yet on W8 s7e

coto39
3 days 21 hours ago
coto39

Not a single reboot here. I did install the latest BTU 7.0 rom (using the csc file so a factory reset was performed) and then I updated to 8.0 using the OTA update.
The only problem I have are the graphical artifacts and glitches in games like Pokemon Go, Tekken mobile and AR Core based apps built with Unity.

2 days 21 hours ago
aledepon

We all know that once new Os comes out there always some apps or games wont work property
In that case just wait till they gone be updated too!

DeanMate
2 days 16 hours ago
DeanMate

Me 2

vNezcro
3 days 22 hours ago
vNezcro

Takes forever to roll out updates and then they end up having problems. This a is from a large company with lots of money and over 400,000 employees. What a shame.

utahman1971
3 days 16 hours ago
utahman1971

And people keep defending Samsung.

zlatan09
3 days 1 hour ago
zlatan09

Theirs engineers and employees are using iPhone and that’s the reason of slow and buggy updates.

Svenkov
3 days 23 hours ago
Svenkov

My phone is S7 Edge BTU from Amazon UK. Flashed OTA over Nougat on 1-st May 2018, no problems. No factory reset. Only clearing the cache partition (3-4 days later and not because of problems, just as a precaution).
I think the problems is mostly due to changing the CSC, flashing, restoring, and a carrier related too. BTW, I am using my phone on MTL (Bulgaria) carrier without any problems (phone is bought 13-Nov-2017 new and sealed, manufactured August 2017 at Vietnam). (to be honest, MTL is a Vodafone related, I think)

shah1811
3 days 23 hours ago
shah1811

If you think correct flashing will cause problems, then I guess you have completely lost it bro ..

Btw go in recovery mode and tell me if you don’t see these messages :

fail to open recovery_cause(No such file or directory)
Reboot Recovery Cause is [UNKNOWN]
No Support SINGLE-SKU
File Based OTA
Supported API: 3
MANUAL MODE v1.0.0
Sucessfully verified dmverity hash tree
E:Failed to clear BCB message : failed to find /misc partition

Now don’t say that even going in recovery will cause problems in your phone ..xD

shah1811
3 days 23 hours ago
shah1811

I can comfirm, it does have problems, I did clean flash via odin and it has some weird messages about partitions missings in recovery, also, it randomly reboots for me without reason sometimes and sometimes when I lock-unlock using fingerprints at a faster rate. Also cell standby drain is huge. But it feels little bit more responsive than last nougat, but battery life is little less as compared to nougat..

3 days 23 hours ago

Resset to factory settings and then Wipe Data/Cache
Then flash via Odin
After device starts again Wipe Data/Cache
Done

The problem can be faced flashing on Nougat or Custom roms without Resset to factory settings and Wipe Data/Cache

Do it this way and leave a feedback i you dont mind
im 100% shure it will work fine this time!

shah1811
3 days 23 hours ago
shah1811

Hey there ! When I said above that I can confirm, I really mean it. I already tried whatever you wrote. Btw, I flashed using odin with regular CSC and not the home CSC, so factory resetting isn’t required before if we are flashing with regular csc, but still I factory resetted and cleared cache before and after flashing with odin.

Also, I never rooted or flashed any custom rom on my s7 edge, my knox is 0x0, before flashing it had the latest official nougat version for my region.

2 days 22 hours ago
aledepon

In this case you are 1/100 faced problem!
Can you tell me plz if your device is 935F or at least 935FD
Because the rest S7 edge models are not gonna fit with this rom!

shah1811
2 days 22 hours ago
shah1811
Bro I have tested and can say for sure that firmware for both G935F and G935FD is same.. these are bugs in the rom which everyone is facing, I don’t know why some are facing more and some less. Just tell me when you go in recovery mode did you see these messages : fail to open recovery_cause(No such file or directory) Reboot Recovery Cause is [UNKNOWN] No Support SINGLE-SKU File Based OTA Supported API: 3 MANUAL MODE v1.0.0 Sucessfully verified dmverity hash tree E:Failed to clear BCB message : failed to find /misc partition If you do see these… Read more »
2 days 21 hours ago
aledepon

sry but no problem for me…
i have 2 devices infront of me speaking atm….
and i cant imagine a logical explanation of this situation we admit…

The way i got the Oreo update is posted under so everyone could see…
And i didnt get or faced any problems/bugs, everything seems working great

And now im gonna flash on 5th device straight Oreo UK (BTU) and will give a feedback!
Since previous devices where flashed to Nougat UK (BTU) and updated to Oreo through OTA (Οver the Air)

p.s. i own a shop and its easy for me to test firmwares on mass units

shah1811
2 days 7 hours ago
shah1811

Wow, if you don’t get those weird messages in recovery then you are a lucky one out of 1/1000 people xD, but every other person had those weird partitions missing messages in recovery..

And yes please test, if first flashing last nougat for btu and then updating to oreo by OTA causes “less issues” then flashing latest btu oreo via odin?

Also I updated OTA to latest oreo release today and those weird recovery messages are still there..

bertudxja
3 days 23 hours ago
bertudxja

No problems for me!
s7 g930f
an not using using in UK