Recent Galaxy S8 and S8+ update may have broken fast charging for some users

Home / News / Recent Galaxy S8 and S8+ update may have broken fast charging for some users

The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ haven’t been getting updates as frequently as one would like for flagship phones. They’re also not getting them quickly enough, as evident by the fact that many regions saw the October security patch hitting the devices in mid-November. If some reports from S8 and S8+ users are to be believed, the November update, which started rolling out a few days back, couldn’t come sooner, as the update with the October patch (firmware version G950FXXU1AQJ5) may have broken fast charging on some units.

Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ fast charging may be broken for some

Owners of the S8 and S8+ have taken to Twitter and the Samsung community forums to voice complaints about fast charging no longer working on their device after grabbing the latest update. The problem seems to be software-based, as folks say fast charging doesn’t work even with Samsung’s original charger and with fast charging enabled in the battery settings. According to one of our readers, wireless charging has been affected, too, at least with a third-party charger. We checked our devices to see if fast charging is working and none of our units seem to be affected, so it’s possible this isn’t a very widespread issue.

But that’s not to say it’s not a serious issue, especially for S8 owners who already deal with average battery life and would hate for fast charging to stop working as well. It’s also unclear if the update with the November security patch fixes things. Samsung or its forum admins haven’t acknowledged the issue yet, but hopefully, the company will fix this problem soon and not ignore it in lieu of its work on the Android 8.0 Oreo beta.

We will update this article once Samsung offers a statement on the matter. For now, let us know if your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ has been affected, and if some solution worked for you, feel free to tell us so we can share it with our readers.

Updated to include information on wireless charging being an issue as well.

Via Source 1 Source 2 Source 3

Phones 16

26 days 3 hours ago
John Sims

I have the Note 8. Just got the Oreo update and Fast Charging is now SLOW! This sucks Samsung / Verizon

onka79
4 months 12 days ago
onka79

Same from my S8+ in Italy

Daniel van D.
4 months 18 days ago
Daniel van D.

Same issue here…

gilbertoandara
4 months 22 days ago
gilbertoandara

Same here. I noticed the issue after the update but I thought the charger got broken. Also, for the folks of Sammobile, they also broke the OTG USB too. I USED to do a backup with an USB and it stopped working too

Tonesav
4 months 24 days ago
Tonesav

Fast charging was fixed for me by just rebooting but wireless charging seems to be not working on the October update I just received 2 days ago from EE

Khlad
4 months 24 days ago
Khlad

This happened to me yesterday on my s8 plus. I use original s8 plus charger and get the message when i charge “Slow charging. Be sure to plug correctly. Use the charger that followed in the package” (translated from another language).
Fast charge is turned on in phone setting.

Skinhead1967
4 months 26 days ago
Skinhead1967

I don’t have the problem, but then again I’ve not had the either update.

4 months 26 days ago
Mitch1980

I have been experiencing this since the last update for the S8 in November. I have Fast charge 3.0 on both my wireless and Car Charger. but seems the update messed things up.
Kindly Fix Samsung

Turbotomate
4 months 26 days ago
Turbotomate

I experienced this issue with my A5 2017 DBT since last update. Maybe a general problem? It gives me a notification that i should check the charger. But it works fine with other phones.

@admins:
I cant send comments on the mobile website on my smartphone anymore. The “Post Comment” button is missing. And voting in polls doesn’t work either.

krym73
4 months 25 days ago
krym73

I also have three same issues posting a comment or liking a comment. Have to request desktop site to get to work.

4 months 26 days ago
Don Mui

Wonder if Note 8 can be affected… I just experienced slow charging message twice in last two weeks with the supplied charger and cable and this morning I experienced my phone locking up and freezing on the AOD screen while it was charging. It just bricked after 20 minutes on the cable and AOD stuck with the time it locked up. I had to force kill the unit in order to reboot it.

My phone was a preorder phone so I’ve had it since release and flawless up til now. Only change recently was the AT&T update on the 15th.

4 months 24 days ago
fonix232

“Slow charging” and not having fast charge is different. The S8/Note8 will inform you of slow charge if the charger is below [email protected], while fast charging uses 9V and 12V inputs.

And to answer your question, yes, the BQK6 update that was recently released for the Note8 has no fast charging in my experience.

mmark27
4 months 26 days ago
mmark27

Yes, Sprint version of S8 and S8+ build ending in QJH have this issue. Also, when wireless charging up to 100%, the screen turns on and off all night long. Probably the most annoying thing. This was present on the Oreo Beta that I was testing, but I rolled back to stable. My wife’s S8 (never on beta) now does this after the latest update. Samsung, man….always breaking things. How about improve things?? Like Camera quality?

o0MHJ0o
4 months 26 days ago
o0MHJ0o

Charging isn’t the issue, latest update hasn’t fixed a lot of issues from Beta 2 and has brought with it, overheating phone, which is damaging my battery! cannot expect a decent battery life anymore.

mariosch86
4 months 26 days ago
mariosch86

do an update on the post and mention also the wireless charging. i am charging with a 3d party wireless charger and before the update everything was smooth. now it takes more than 6 hours to full charge.