[Update: More details] Samsung Pay launches in the UK

Home / News / [Update: More details] Samsung Pay launches in the UK

As expected, Samsung Pay has today launched in the United Kingdom. This news comes less than three weeks after the mobile payment platform made its way to Hong Kong, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand and the UAE, bumping the total of supported regions up to more than fifteen.

Unfortunately, Samsung is still yet to provide a list of supported financial institutes (we’ll update this post when it does), but we expect all of the big banks to be compatible from the word go, including HSBC, NatWest and Santander, in addition to American Express.

We should probably point out that while Samsung Pay is available in the region starting today, you may experience some difficulty when trying to register for an account. If this turns out to be the case, simply close the application and try again in a couple of hours.

To get started with Samsung Pay in the UK, download the application from Galaxy Apps.

Update: American Express, HSBC and Nationwide are the only three financial institutes supporting Samsung Pay in the region from the get-go.

Samsung Pay 40

DavidUpton
6 months 5 days ago
DavidUpton

What does Samsung Pay offer that Android Pay doesn’t? I’ve been using Android Pay with my Santander card on my S8+ for weeks now and it works perfectly. What benefits would i get from installing Samsung Pay?

tomihbk
6 months 5 days ago
tomihbk

Well Samsung Pay has an advantage of all payment service thanks to its MST. Magnetic Secure Transmission is a technology that emits a magnetic signal that mimics the magnetic strip on a traditional payment card. Conclusion it has NFC and MST exactly as a normal card. That’s what stands out of Samsung Pay 🙂

nate211
6 months 4 days ago
nate211

Samsung Pay doesn’t offer MST for UK cards, so there aren’t really any benefits over Android Pay here. The Transit Card feature is neat if you use TFL to not even have to turn the screen on, but overall, it’s really just an alternative platform for payments. MST is neat, but I think would cause more confusion than usefulness in the UK. Outside of very central london where there are plenty of US tourists, most cashiers just aren’t used to swipe card transactions let alone MST.

DavidUpton
6 months 4 days ago
DavidUpton

Interesting i didn’t know that. So what can i do with MST?
NFC i get – it allows ‘tap to pay’ but what about MST?

obsydian
6 months 6 days ago
obsydian

Confirmed MST is not supported, Samsung say NFC has more potential in the UK, think they will find that is not true and the mix of MST/NFC ensured you were covered for pretty much all machines which was a key bonus over Apple pay and others without MST.

App removed as useless, Barclays have no intention of supporting Samsung and i tried to use the app as a secondary standalone for a M&S and Nationwide card i rarely use and my loyalty cards, but the damn app insists on being the default otherwise it just closes.

Geri1007
6 months 6 days ago
Geri1007

Does anyone know what about with Lloyds Bank support?

o0MHJ0o
6 months 6 days ago
o0MHJ0o

They’re currently not supporting it, nor confirmed or denied if they will yet. And seeing as Samsung Pay is NFC only in the UK. I doubt they’ll bother adding it.

brendonx
6 months 6 days ago
brendonx

Got a comment from Samsung.

They will not be supporting Samsung Pay.

Guess I’ll be changing banks then.

Geri1007
6 months 2 days ago
Geri1007

Well, if Samsung Pay won’t be available via MST there is no point for me (as a Lloyds Bank customer) to change a bank when Samsung Pay will work in a same way as Android Pay does. I’ve been used the Android Pay and i am really satisfied with it.

tomihbk
6 months 5 days ago
tomihbk

That’s what i did last week, screw my bank

woody365
woody365

Just “updated” it from the galaxy app store and the open button greyed out so can’t open it and it’s nowhere to be found on my phone. 50 megs of unusable fresh bloatware now reside within my phone. Great.

morristonm31
morristonm31

Been waiting since my S6 edge for this to launch and now it has my banks not supported and no MST which was a massive selling feature!

BobbyHack89

No Gear watch support?! Anyone know when this will be available? It’s the only thing stopping me from switching to android wear!

gremlin007
gremlin007

I went to Gear s3 from Android Wear (LG Urbane) and honestly, it’s only worth it to switch for the Samsung Pay. Don’t do it until then!

pigglett
pigglett

Well seeing how long it has taken for Samsung pay to hit the UK I’d say another 12months +

pigglett
pigglett

Installed wants to be default payment disabling android pay . I’ll wait till it supports more banks

No Gear watch support poor show again Samsung

MyFluxi

My HSBC card doesn’t work but my Santander one does… Lol

nate211
nate211

Yeah, their update is wrong. MBNA, Santander and Nationwide are the launch partners

ww.samsung.com/uk/samsung-pay/

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

has anyone managed to install it and get it working on the S8+?

NotReallySamsungFan
NotReallySamsungFan

HOLY ****. Wow. Never thought id see the day. Now to see if my bank is supported.

matturl
matturl

I open it & it updates to the latest version, but then fails to install “Payment Engine Installation Failed”. Anybody know anything about this?

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

I’m getting the same thing, keeps stopping and closing at like 96%… so irritating

matturl
matturl

I can’t seem to find a solution to it. Samsung not responding to me on Twitter regarding the issue.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

any reason why it won’t update the engine, also a bit worried why it says Samsung Pay will work on NFC terminals, and not on all card readers. does the S8 no longer have MST?

deardevil
deardevil

S8 has MST like the galaxy S7 but in some countries they only let you use NFC,i dont know about UK if will have both ways or not.

nate211
nate211

I remember a visa exec saying a while ago that they weren’t intending to support MST in the UK. The S8 has MST, but markets with high NFC penetration and very low use of swipe cards seem to only get the NFC part.

o0MHJ0o
o0MHJ0o

What other markets do not get MST? I’ve looked into their information and MST is not mentioned anywhere in the UK version. Really angry about this, there are a lot of places that still do not use NFC.

welshbloke
6 months 6 days ago
welshbloke

What places in the UK use mst? This is a decision of the banks it’s nothing to do with Samsung.

obsydian
obsydian

Only advantage i can see if they get Barclays to work for me is at last i can maybe store all cards (including loyalty in one place) – but doubt this has any legs.

mtbrown262626
mtbrown262626

Your out off luck my partner is with Barclays and she was tole they will not be supporting it or android Pay as there have pingit

woody365
woody365

That answered my question:-(

obsydian
obsydian

Just tried to deactivate iris recognition to see if that was the issue, same error message card not supported – there is a link to what is supported, typical Samsung the link goes to an empty list.

obsydian
obsydian

Interesting years late but thought will install – i use the Barclays app perfectly fine for sometime now.

Just tired to use my Barclays debit and Barclaycard – guess what NOT supported.
Barclays are clear they have their own app and have not even supported Apple or Google Pay.

Another waste and Bixby the pig headed 2017 version of the Samsung blunders.

brendonx
brendonx

Barclays support Apple but not Android.

I had this out with them when Android Pay released last year.

Told them I’ll wait for Samsung Pay and if they won’t support it I’ll change banks.

welshbloke
6 months 6 days ago
welshbloke

Why? The Barclays app is better than either Samsung or Android pay. It’s a fully featured banking app as well as a contact less pay app.

nate211
nate211

I’m not sure any cards are working yet, given that I’ve gotten the same message for Amex and HSBC cards. Samsung hasn’t even announced or released their support pages yet, so perhaps hold off the hysterics for a few hours. That said, surprised the article claims Barclays support given their hostility towards Android pay.

As a side note, Barclays supports Apple Pay

mfarazshakir
mfarazshakir

a thank you sammobile team for tweeting this info to you?

DavidUpton
DavidUpton

Interested to know why you expect Barclays to co-operate? They refuse to work with Android Pay as they have their own NFC payment app. It would be good if they do…

woody365
woody365

Barclays need to get with the times.

wpDiscuz
Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! Android Oreo Mega Deal! One year SamMobile Premium from €55 for €25! X