Size comparison: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S7 vs. Galaxy S8

Home / News / Size comparison: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S7 vs. Galaxy S8

Samsung’s rumored to take the wraps off the much-anticipated Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus at a dedicated event in New York City on Tuesday, April 18. Renders point towards the former sporting a 5.7/5.8-inch display (up from the 5.5-inch one found on the Galaxy S7 edge), while being roughly the same as the Galaxy S7. The Plus variant, on the other hand, is expected to pack a colossal 6.1/6.2-inch screen. For this reason, it’s believed to be both taller and wider than the curved version of last year’s model.

Unfortunately, when put into words it’s a little difficult to imagine how they all compare. It’s only when you put the dimensions into a table and compare the past three generations of the Galaxy S range that things start to make sense, and you begin to realize how stripping back the bezels and axing the beloved navigation keys has enabled the firm to squeeze giant screens in compact devices. However, before we dive into the figures, we should note that the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus measurements come from recent leaks, so they’re far from confirmed.

Galaxy S6 Galaxy S6 edge Galaxy S6 edge+ Galaxy S7 Galaxy S7 edge Galaxy S8 Galaxy S8 Plus
Dimensions 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm 142.1 x 70.1 x 7 mm 154.4 x 75.8 x 6.9 mm 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm 140.1 x 72.2 x 7.3 mm 152.4 x 78.5 x 7.9 mm
Screen Size 5.1-inch 5.1-inch 5.7-inch 5.1-inch 5.5-inch 5.7-/5.8-inch 6.1-/6.2-inch
Screen Type Flat Dual-edge curved Dual-edge curved Flat Dual-edge curved Dual-edge curved Dual-edge curved

As you can see from the table above, the Galaxy S8 is destined to be Samsung’s smallest flagship to date, despite sporting the largest display a regular variant has shipped with. The most suitable handset to compare it to is the Galaxy S6 edge+. They’re believed to pack identical panels, but Samsung’s managed to bundle it in a smaller package for its next flagship. It is a little thicker and chatter suggests that it’s slightly heavier, too.

It also makes the most sense to pit the Galaxy S8 Plus against the Galaxy S6 edge+. Both devices should be around the same size, but — as I mentioned earlier — as a result of the thin bezels and the omission of the front-facing buttons, Samsung has been able to enclose a larger screen in what’s essentially the same body. Once again, the latest model is a a bit thicker, but we’re putting that down to the beefier internals and slightly bigger battery.

Are you excited for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus? Be sure to let us know your thoughts on the comments section.

Phones 19

8 months 7 days ago
vividblu2020

The bigger the better. This is a bold move from Samsung

8 months 8 days ago
Michael White

So traded in my note for the edge so where is my free card as promised? Lies lies and more lies nothing is free.

publick87
8 months 8 days ago
publick87

The most important part of the device is the physical buttons
And no flat screen
I think s7 is much nicer device
Hope samsung s9 will not be like this

Sorry for bad english

jnadke
8 months 8 days ago
jnadke

Wow, this just doesn’t even pass basic math, if the new 18.5:9 screen ratio is believable.

The S7 Edge’s screen width is 68mm 16:9 with the phone being 72mm wide.

A hypothetical 5.7″ 18.5:9 S8 would be 63.5mm wide in screen.

A hypothetical 6.1″ 18.5:9 S8 would be 68mm wide in screen.

billywongwashere
8 months 8 days ago
billywongwashere

If the s8 smaller screen is 63.5 mm I would be very interested.. one hand usage is key

8 months 7 days ago
vividblu2020

But most people these days in their teens to 20s to some in the 30s hold their phone with both hands.

8 months 8 days ago
Chris K

i’d really appreciate a 6.1/2 inch S8. 5.7 ain’t that bad neither. But it should be still a bit wider and bigger so more comfortable for usage and proper typing and activity with phone.

using my note 3 now for a year and before used smaller phones from different makers and couldnt imagine to jump back to a smaller device at all.

i do really hope for a great phone from samsung with this S8.

billywongwashere
8 months 8 days ago
billywongwashere

How is wider and bigger being more comfortable?

8 months 8 days ago
Edson Cury

There is an insignificant size (length and wide) difference between S8+ and Note 4, but significant in terms of screen size (6,1″ x 5,7″).

mrtaxi247
8 months 8 days ago
mrtaxi247

We want higher spec at list 6gb ram 4000mah battery 16mp selfi camera big screen welcome.

harinsheth
8 months 9 days ago
harinsheth

I may say only 1 word : IMPRESSIVE

florox
8 months 9 days ago
florox

would be nice to have the Note 7 in the comparison…

djcbs
8 months 9 days ago
djcbs

As much as I’d like to believe the S8 will actually be smaller, I don’t.
First I’ve read lots of numbers regarding the height of the phone. 131cm, 148cm and now 141cm. Based on physics alone I’m more inclined to believe in 148cm.
I’ll wait and see. The phone being actually smaller than the S7 would be the only reason I’d consider switching from the S7 to it she putting up with the idiotic placement of the fingerprint scanner. But I’d still have to try it first anyway for one handed use

billywongwashere
8 months 8 days ago
billywongwashere

I agree if it’s smaller in width and thickness then it’s something that would make me consider. Also internal specs too eg 6gb and 64gb+ internal

superf
8 months 9 days ago
superf
When comparing dimensions, you can’t compare each dimension alone because you can not draw any conclusions. You have to compare the 3 dimensions (because we live in a 3D world and all objects have 3 dimensions!) combined! Which is the measure for this? Volume! You can’t say that something is smaller just because it’s shorter or thinner because at the same time it can be wider or taller. So, here are the volumes of the above phones in ascending order: 1. Galaxy S6: 68745,96mm^3 2. Galaxy S6E: 69728,47mm^3 3. Galaxy S8: 73841,106mm^3 4. Galaxy S7: 78297,216mm^3 5. Galaxy S6E+: 80754,288mm^3… Read more »
billywongwashere
8 months 9 days ago
billywongwashere

There a lot of contradiction here from your posts. Yesterday suggestions were it’s 8mm thick. The s8 from these dimensions are getting too wide.

Happy to see it being thinner as it means easier for pocket carry

LeifS
8 months 9 days ago
LeifS

Sounds fine also I’m not a big fan of thinness of the S8 compared to the S7 and S8 edge. Why do they have to make the S8 thinner than the S8 edge? Just use the space for a higher capacity battery …

o0MHJ0o
8 months 9 days ago
o0MHJ0o

Said it from the start, the S6 edge+ is to be compared to the S8s as it was the biggest and most costly flagship in the last two years, or even ever! especially in hardware design. I can imagine the S8+ being slightly larger with a lot more screen to it. They have to have implemented the BEST palm rejection technology otherwise it will be a complete nightmare trying to use it.

Buckeye
8 months 8 days ago
Buckeye

I have seen the S6 Edge in person many times before but yet I can’t remember ever seeing the S6 Edge+. I dont think T-Mobile ever carrired that model. I wanted to see it in person so it will give me an idea what the size of the S8 Plus may look like. What carriers still sell it?

wpDiscuz