Experts believe it’s too soon for Samsung to wave goodbye to flat screens with Galaxy S8

It is being rumored that Samsung will release two flagship smartphones in Q1 2017 and that both will feature screens that are curved on both sides. The South Korean smartphone giant is expected to release two versions of the Galaxy, one with a 5.7-inch display and the other with a 6.2-inch display. However, experts believe that it’s too soon for the company to wave goodbye to flat screens.

The Galaxy S8 is expected to have a screen-to-body ratio of over 90 percent. Despite radical changes in the design, experts have expressed doubts whether customers would be happy to wave flat screens goodbye. Samsung adopted curved screens into its smartphones to distinguish the design of its products from other vendors, but the Chinese firms are catching up fast.

Choo Dae-young, an analyst of the electronics industry at Korea Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade, said, “There appears to be no high demand for dual-edge screens because some still find them inconvenient because they mistakenly touch the sides of the smartphones. The utility of a bezel-less display does not seem that much higher for small, portable smartphones compared to televisions.

Samsung is seemingly developing two foldable smartphones, one with a display that can be folded inwards and the other with a display that can be folded outwards. These phones can be used as tablets when they’re unfolded. Practically speaking, such foldable devices can be pretty useful. On the other hand, Apple seems to be adopting curved (and also OLED) displays for its 2017 iPhones.

Source

Phones 35

DareDevil01
1 month 3 days ago

I believe the S7 edge outsold the S7 by quite a lot. Although probably because it’s bigger with better battery etc.

Sleepypandauk
1 month 6 days ago

Maybe that’s why the A series has adopted so many features of the s7 e.g Ip68 water/dust resistance, premium glass/metal build and curved back, 32gb storage, usb-c port, fast charging, fingerprint scanner.
Only downgrades include 1080p display, 3gb ram (don’t see these two as downgrades) and exynos 7880 processor.

he4995
1 month 6 days ago

i have the S7E. I agree that it has glare which annoying but i have found the edge features really useful as I tend to switch from one app to another very often and the quick contacts have been a nice utility for me. You also see people carrying the edge variant a lot more than the flat one so that proves sales-wise the edge is much more successful. As Samsung didnt release a flat model of the note7 I think it’s likely that there wont be a flat s8. The only problem is that you need to be extra careful with it since one drop might crack the screen or the back of the phone.

Vibgyoar
1 month 6 days ago

I know what you mean when you say you see many more people carrying the curve variants over the flat. For most this will be their first experience of that. It would be interesting to see how many choose it again in the light of experience, especially for Note users who use the stylus. Some things, for example 3D TV, people are not so keen on second time around.

dsixsicsix
1 month 6 days ago

How much s7e or s6e over the flat variant? Is it 70-80%? If they can sell 80% of total of s7 variants they shipped out then, they don’t lose much of their customers. but only 60%, then good luck. I’m using s7e btw

saugatboii44
1 month 6 days ago

curve screen is a bummer for screen protectors… Non adhesive tempered glass screen protector is fucked off

stondec
1 month 6 days ago

I actually thoroughly enjoy the edge screen.

gtone339
1 month 6 days ago

Still prefer flat-screen displays than curve.

Vibgyoar
1 month 6 days ago

I hate it when books don’t have enough margin at the binding so the pictures or text curve into the valley. And I find it difficult to write margin notes down there on the curve too. So for both reading and writing I prefer a flat surface. It makes no difference if that is a paper page or the screen of my Note.

However, I understand that others enjoy the challenge.

snaeem

How do l repartition if the partition is corrupted in a galaxy A5 SM-500F

MStuart
1 month 7 days ago

I think I’ll just wait for the other manufacturers to catch up on the curved display gimmick. When everyone’s doing it, they will turn back to flat displays just to look different again. I can almost see it now:

“Oh, look, now with PureFlat (TM) display! No glare! No phantom touches!”

alozide
1 month 6 days ago

Yeah MSTUART, Just like they did with the MicroSD drama, omitting it with lame issues to try and force users into using cloud storage, and when it didn’t work they brought it back as an “Oh, look, now MicroSD compatible (TM) device! No more storage issues! etc. You see the picture? It’s like fashion….

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

You should, as just like IR blasters, it’s not coming back. I’m sure you won’t be missed and the struggling companies like HTC, Sony etc, will be glad to see you. ;)

MStuart
1 month 7 days ago

It’s a fad. It’s coming back since that’s what fads do: come and go. Oh, and plenty of companies which struggle now were on top and in that same exact position of power and arrogance once. Let him go, we won’t miss him. Until the slow drip of customers running away turns into full haemorrhage. And then it’s too late.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

It’s only a fad for those who don’t have it or use it. The Edge screen is very functional with fast access to customer contacts, weather updates, news, meetings schedules, all available with a quick swipe rather than needing to open apps. Definitely good for people who work for a living, need to save time, and have the use of a finger that can swipe from right to left or vice versa. People actually labeled touch screens as fads. Blackberry labeled on screen keyboards as fads. Look what happened to them. A fad lasts a year, like LG G5 modules or Project Ara, or Google Glass. Curved screens and the ever expanding use of edge functionality is a trend. But I’m sure there’ll be a flat screen option for those who lack the imagination to see the future. :)

MStuart
1 month 7 days ago

I hope you’re right and there’s a flat display option for those of us who can’t stand glare and hate accidental touches. Way more important that the niche features you took straight out of Samsung’s marketing materials.

o0MHJ0o
1 month 7 days ago

You get glare on every phone, the edge screen doesn’t add glare, and honestly haven’t noticed it on mine. I’ve had it a long time and never had issues watching video content. I prefer a fuller screen effect of the edges as do many others, hence why the edge variants are selling a lot more than the flat screens. and the edge is what you make it, I do use it a lot mainly for quick contacts and torch. But its also helpful to have a calculator and my music there too. if you want you can have your entire app drawer just a single swipe away from any portrait screen.

MStuart
1 month 6 days ago

LOL. Of course there’s glare on the edge, and image distortion. Can’t defeat the laws of physics you know?

You’ve been drinking too much KoolAid.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

You shouldn’t have bothered even answering that one. It was a totally stupid comment. :) There is no glare. In fact in bright sunlight it’s the clearest most glare free screen on any smartphone.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

I should clarify that. I doubt very much there’ll be a flat screen phone from Samsung, except for low and mid range models. I meant you can buy other brands like Pixel or HTC, if they don’t go curved. Even iPhone will most likely be using a Samsung curved amoled for iPhone 8 plus.

o0MHJ0o
1 month 7 days ago

There is profound evidence that says curved screens are a great success and I personally love it and ever since the first edge was unveiled I knew that the S8 would be a curved model only. They made the mistake on demand for the S6 edge and they didn’t make it for the S7, they won’t for the S8s

dsixsicsix
1 month 7 days ago

Please include me too. You don’t know how miserable my life to took care of curve 5.5 inches phone than my s6. I don’t hesitate to jump for HTC or pixel if no flat s8.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

But the evidence is there. Samsung have been hugely successful with curved screens. Sales increased by huge amounts. You should definitely buy something else as I’m pretty sure it will be curved for all models. And they will sell even more smaller 5.1″ devices, as the flat S7 didn’t do so well. It will be curved all the way, so you should definitely check out the Pixel or HTC.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

I think the wildly successful S7 Edge and Note7 before its demise will lead Samsung to at least think about keeping it curved. They may lose some customers who prefer traditional flat screens, but gain many more customers with a smaller curved model. Plus if people think back to S6 the curved version overwhelmed the flat screen model in sales. If I were Samsung I would definitely go curved all the way and see how it goes. I think if sales are as good or better than S6 edge and S7 Edge they should dump the flat screen. Sales are everything. Who are these “experts”? They said curved screens wouldn’t be successful and look what happened. They turned out to be the best selling phones of 2015 and 2016.

BlueClub
1 month 7 days ago

How many flagship Samsung non-curve devices come in 5.5+ and bigger battery that you’re using in your comparison? There is none.

micklord49

Two points here.

First is the use of multiple experts where only one is named: Choo Dae-young.

The second is this sole experts statement: “There appears to be no high demand for dual-edge screens”, compare this to the sales figures for the S7 where the Edge variant shipped 2 million more units than the flat version in the first half of 2016. How does that correspond to the statement “no high demand?”.

File under Fake News.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

Exactly, well said. Success points to curved screens.. Maybe this expert personally doesn’t like them and thinks there should be a flat one. Sales figures, the only judge of success tells a totally different story.

SenorSjon
1 month 7 days ago

The S7 Edge has a bigger screen (even if you disregard the curves) and a much bigger battery compared to the S7. Don’t misunderstand that for ‘edge love’. The S7E is the only big Samsung flagship for sale for about 4 months now (S6E+ went AWAL pretty soon and the Note 4 left the market in August).

RoryBreak
1 month 7 days ago

The experts are right! I personally hate the curved screen phone & will be forced to go to another handset maker if Samsung makes the horrible mistake of not giving consumers an option.

This is a gimmick & will make it much more difficult to put a case on what will probably be as fragile of a phone as the S6 & S7, their Gorilla Glass is a joke!

o0MHJ0o
1 month 7 days ago

Strongly disagree as an owner of the Edge+ I can say that its actually a useful feature you can use in most apps, you can have your entire app drawer available to you with one swipe, regardless of what you are currently in. and watching videos on the device is the best experience because it really does fill the screen. and there are so many cases out there for edge devices, I’d recommend Spigen. and having dropped my phone 4 times, I can say gorilla glass works very well and it only has minor surfaces scratches on it after 15 months of use. dropped it on carpet both thick and thin and tiled floor. I do sometimes make touches I don’t want on the phone, but with each generation they have improved palm rejection. I am sure with S8 they will make even better improvements

alozide
1 month 6 days ago

My brother’s already wrecked a couple of these S7 Edge displays with cases on, so that leaves a question to how fragile this design is.

BlueClub
1 month 7 days ago

I have had friends that have dropped and broken 3 or more edge phones, and I have friends that have broken non-edge screens as well. That’s all luck.

The ‘features’, like swipe for more apps, you are telling us about can also be had on a non edge display as well.

maccyb
1 month 7 days ago

I know,, I had it installed on my older phone, it doesn’t work very well, and isn’t pleasant to use. Any screen can break. I’ve a decent case on my phone so it doesn’t.