Carbon fiber products in future Samsung products?

Samsung has a good reputation in good plastic products. Today Samsung joins the SGL Group “The Carbon Company” for about 50%. This could hint future products based on carbon fiber material. Carbon Fiber is ultra light, easy to mold into just about any shape you want and very strong. It sounds great as we all know Samsung likes plastic cause of the weight of their mobile devices. Samsung also said that their materials must be easy to develop in huge amounts cause they sell millions of devices. All in all this could mean Samsung dumps metal as material choise and goes straight ahead with carbon fiber instead of polycarbonate (plastic).

Read the quote of Yoosung Chung, President and CEO of Samsung Petrochemical

“Our long-term cooperation with SGL Group will ensure the exclusive supply of carbon fiber composite materials to Samsung. We selected SGL Group as partner due to the company’s unique expertise along the entire value chain from carbon fibers to CFRP components. Lightweight materials have become an important factor not only in industrial applications but also the consumer end markets such as digital media. This partnership will position Samsung as a leading player in the development and application of carbon fiber-based products.”

via source

Phones 28

Mex6991
4 years 27 days ago
Mex6991

Nooo way. I love carbon fiber. I’ll love to her a phone made of it. Can’t wait for it Sammy!!!!

RIPi0S
RIPi0S

It amuses me when people whine about Samsungs polycarbonate, plastic, cheap, crappy, flimsy, inferior case. Most people I know irrespective of what phone they have purchase a case! Why? To protect it! If you dont like Samsung…. buy yourself an iphone, look in the mirror and hate youself!

gtone339

Great but one problem, Carbonfibre overheats..

gtone339

Oh yeah, forgot about this but carbon fibre is very pricey!!!

Don’t rip us off Samsung. Stick with aluminium instead.

sexyback

Man, people want premium feeling and “We aim to please”, don’t we?

gtone339

Don’t know how they’re going to pull this off for next years Galaxy line up.

gtone339

Also carbon-fibre tends to break more easily than plastic…Durability is not good at all.

anozawa
anozawa

Wait a minute. So you are saying carbon-fibre is weaker,more fragile and not durable?

So what is good for????

gtone339

You don’t know much about it?

sexyback

These problems surely would have been taken into account, don’t you think?
I mean working on its advantages and trying to fix the issues, isn’t this what innovation is all about?

gtone339

Yes but they have to keep the prices down for it since carbonfiber is very expensive to manufacture.

Gepstra
Gepstra

I just hope that they won’t release products half finished if you get what I mean. For example: some of the Air gestures, they work, sure. But not perfectly, so the user experience is still not optimal.

vbx
vbx

Wait for it….. Waiting…. Apple to sue Samsung for using Carbon Fiber because Apple “thought” about using it first 3 years from now.

Apple to patent a way for Carbon Fiber to be “molded” into a rounded corner shape. Next on the list, Apple to sue the Farm industry for selling apples. Pending Lawusit against Mcintosh Apples of Canada.

PLANET

Please don’t brainwash users like this, owners of this page: “AS WE ALL KNOW Samsung likes plastic cause of the weight of their mobile devices.”.

The truth is:
“as we all know Samsung likes plastic cause of its cheapness in the end production of their mobile devices.”.

Once again, I shall state this very clearly DannyD or whoever wrote this, DO NOT BRAINWASH people. At least not this visibly (lol)…

sexyback

While what you said may be true, you can’t say what Danny wrote is wrong… Plastic does make a phone lighter, I mean obviously right?

PLANET

That is of course true, but SamMobile is going with Samsung’s explanations, which are only covering the truth.

anozawa
anozawa

Buy Xperia™ Z Ultra – 6.4” Full HD and be happy.

anozawa
anozawa

Dude, shut up.
Covering the truth? What truth?

Policarbonate is better and lighter.

You are brainwashing yourself.

sexyback

Currently, is there any phone that really works underwater, like allowing you to listen to music?

PLANET
@sexyback: Well man, I simply would like to have a free easy choice between recording video and taking photos (or snapping some pics while capturing video). What sammy offers right now is, _if_ I’m not wrong, using volume keys, BUT only for one option (for example, both keys for photo only), not for both (one key for each function). So much for “Aqua Mode”. I would like to use eg the left volume key to take a photo (also doing so during video capture), and the right to start/stop capturing video. AFAIK (what I’ve seen so far) it isn’t possible,… Read more »

@Planet, the post of 15:57

Would you really want to use your phone under water? I mean would you often end up in such situations?

PLANET
Dude, plastic is c-h-e-a-p-e-r. This is the main reason to produce it. Being lighter is a good reason, but surely not that main one. So face the facts and don’t tell me to shut up. And I don’t know how bout you, but I’m also personally tired of the sammy’s design, cheap and slippery plastic feeling of eg S4 (and earlier models) and the only phone that looks nice (and I’m probably going to buy it) and seems better when holding is S4Active. Even tho.. its screen cannot work underwater, while Xperia Z’s CAN… strange, isn’t it? I thought it’s… Read more »
sexyback
If you mean Sammy is trying to cover Samsung, I think that depends. Sammy has already published articles criticizing Samsung or its products. Do you know that the iPhone5 costs less to produce than the GS4? If Samsung had gone with a metal body (I shall say a metal back, since it’s only relevant at the back), the GS4 would have been even more expensive. While this is obvious, I think most people, if an explanation were offered, would be glad to pay that little extra for a “stronger” body. But the pricing is only a part of the global… Read more »
sexyback

As I said, some people would always use a case (+ a screen film) for fear of scratching the phone, so the exterior design wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for them. Besides, the GS4 itself isn’t a bad looking phone imo, it surely lacks the premium feeling tho.
However, what’s inside is definitely premium, and I think that’s what most people like because if you buy a phone only for its exterior design, don’t buy a smartphone, buy a toy.

I think the move on Carbon fiber should cause a stir if it really were to be used on the next flagship phones.

PLANET
I like the feeling, materials and even the design of HTC One. Same goes for 5-on, even tho it is that light as it is. I would also say this about Xperia Z, to a bit lesser extent, but still very much. All of the above phones are easily damaged, while S4 prevails in that point (crash tests waaay ahead of S3, and even of Note II), what’s more, the back is interchangeable, so that means even less costs in some cases. But it still doesn’t change my mind about the general quality of the product. Not for others, for… Read more »
sexyback
@Planet, the post of 16:11 (Can’t reply directly on your post) I have held a HTC one, and being used to plastic (naked or with a case), it surely is a different feeling, some people would call it a “premium feeling”, the cold feeling of the metal and the somewhat heaviness of safety. And anyone can hardly deny that the HTC one has a real nice design, they kind of nailed it for this flagship phone. However, I don’t think Samsung failed theirs, when comparing it with the HTC one, you might say “yeah, it’s plastic and it feels cheap”,… Read more »
PLANET
No, I just think they are in this case going with the flow of Samsung official comment on this. I know they criticised some things, lastly Exynos but not also this. Yeah, I’m aware of that, but the difference is not big. And at the same time, Samsung introduces way more hardware – more sensors, more memory, bigger capacity of battery, faster procesor, and most cost-important, bigger screen. Actually, processor and memory aren’t too big of a factor, since Android isn’t that optimized, sadly. Same goes for battery for most part of it. We also have a bigger body in… Read more »
Sean473
Sean473

CFRP will be great!! I definetly would get a phone made of this 🙂

wpDiscuz