Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge are getting updates with March security patch

It looks like the lawsuit filed by the Dutch Consumers’ Association against Samsung over its software update policy is having a positive effect, as the Korean company is rolling out updates with the March security patch to the Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note Edge and Galaxy S5 over in the UK and the Netherlands. It might sound normal to some, but the update comes at a time when Samsung’s 2015 flagships are still sitting at security patches as old as December in many markets (and are also waiting for Marshmallow).

It’s actually rather great that Samsung is keeping even its older devices up-to-date in terms of security, but we have noticed that most of the company’s strong software support is only present in the European region. It is where the company was sued, though we suppose it isn’t exactly a direct reason for the improved software support. Samsung’s software update policy has always been messed up, and the introduction of monthly security updates from Google seems to have created an even bigger mess. By the way, the company is yet to detail the March security update on its blog.

In any case, it’s always good to see updates rolling out, and you should be seeing one on your Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4 or Galaxy Note Edge rather soon (head into Settings » About device » Software update if you don’t want to wait). Just don’t get excited as it isn’t Marshmallow, but it is a good time to wonder when the Marshmallow update will arrive on these devices considering they are still just getting regular updates (which do enhance security). We guess it will take a couple of months unless Samsung decides to give us a surprise.

s5-note-4-edge-update-march-1

Product code PHN
PDA N910FXXS1CPC1
CSC N910FPHN1COI1

Firmware news 16

kklyfez
4 months 28 days ago

When does this unlucky Samsung Galaxy S5 G900H get Android 6. or will it get or not in the first place?? Getting tired waiting for Updates to reach this phone everytime. :(

crazybucky
5 months 14 days ago

samsung suck at update their security patches and firmware my next phone iS GONNA BE A NEXUS DEVICE

vnovomsate
6 months 5 days ago

Why I have not received N910FXXS1CPC1 via OTA…or Kies…

swagnificent
6 months 9 days ago

Got my security patch last week. I was so excited, I thought it was the mallow update. After installing it, I was soon back to waiting and wishing for 6.0. So the countdown clock continues.

Leonitis
6 months 13 days ago

The last update I got for my G900I was 16th November 2015,eventually the updates will come,they said March, April that would probably mean June -July for Marshmallow

kattz
6 months 13 days ago

I honestly don’t think that it would bankrupt Samsung to put out security updates for older products. The Galaxy S III is still being sold today as a prepaid in Canada. I say if they still sell it, they should support it. Apple and Google do it. The iPhone 4 runs the latest iOS. The Nexus 5 & 7 from 2013 run Marshmallow and get security updates every month.

I got security updates for my Notes II and 8 last September for stage fright. I was really surprised. I bought an iPad Mini 2 a few months before the Note 8 and it is on iOS 9 and runs just fine. The Notes also work great but I’m afraid to use them. The specs are as good or better than many mid-range devices being sold today.

It is a matter of social responsibility, really. Those older devices could be recycled and reused instead of ending up in a landfill. Many people are using unsafe devices because they can’t afford new ones or don’t know any better. The Netherlands was right to go after them and I hope that other countries do the same thing.

Peym
6 months 9 days ago

“iPhone 4 runs the latest iOS” No it doesn’t!
That’s one of the reasons I left Apple for Samsung, which I am regretting it considering I had bought another flagship and yet, I don’t have the latest OS on my phone.

preime101
6 months 12 days ago

“The Notes also work great but I’m afraid to use them” The chances of you picking up any bug, providing you don’t stray into the realms of obscure thrid party apps and dodgy websites or open odd email atachments, are so minimal you will probably catch Ebola off of public transport before you ever get a virus on your android products.

Channel42x
6 months 13 days ago

Update Note 4 (N910F) is almost 78MB and gets to the march security update. Build date is March 5.

Lendo66
6 months 13 days ago

Sm-n910f last update november…

preime101
6 months 12 days ago

have you checked? My 910F got the update automatically over a week ago.

Strutter
6 months 13 days ago

What is with Android 6 for Note 4?

timothydween
6 months 11 days ago

Andriod 6 for the note 4 means better performance new user interface and longer batery life. At least i am always one step ahead before crapy samsung releases an update i am now on andriod 6.0.1 and stil samsung devices running on lolipop and 4.4.4 why dont you buy S7.all samsung cares about is ure bank account..
From all the brands samsung is good in hardware but the worse in software update support and customers respeck.
So yes what does it means go buy more samsung.

tailgunner9
6 months 13 days ago

Who knows when U.S. carriers will get this especially AT&T as Slow as they are with Updates. Still waiting on Marshmallow here.

fubo
6 months 13 days ago

For G900F, why Samsung moved from G900FXXU to G900FXXS? Why S instead of U?

georgidg97