Exclusive: Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ coming August 12, on sale from August 21

Going by Samsung’s usual launch schedule, the Galaxy Note 5 would be less than two months away from getting an official announcement at this point of time. Going by recent rumors, however, the time before the Note 5 is unveiled would be even shorter. Well, it looks like the latter is what we will have to believe in, as our insiders have revealed today the the Galaxy Note 5 will be announced on August 12, and go on sale around two weeks later on August 21.

We have also learned that the Galaxy S6 edge Plus will be launched as the Galaxy S6 edge+, and will be announced alongside the Note 5 on the same date (Update: it will also go on sale on August 21.) Samsung’s plan to launch two big handsets at the same time (and risking one device eating into the sales of the other) was leaked by a report out of the Korean press a few hours ago, and we can confirm that it is indeed what the company intends to do. The two devices will also be accompanied by the official launch of Samsung Pay, at least for the US market.

Now, let’s move on to a few details of the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+. First, Samsung’s next phablet flagship. Let’s get one of the most important aspects of the phone out of the way: The Note 5 will not have a microSD slot, something we had guessed would be the case earlier this month. In terms of design, the phone will basically be a blown-up version of the Galaxy S6. But like the Galaxy A8, the Note 5 will have extremely thin screen bezel, a design change that might come in handy in terms of ergonomics keeping in consideration the new metal and glass design that the Note 5 is expected to feature.

The S Pen will also be seeing a few design changes. According to the information we’ve received, the stylus will look more like a pen this time around (and apparently feel like one, too) and will have the same color as the color of the device. Speaking of colors, the Galaxy Note 5 will be offered in silver, gold, black and white options; these are the same options we’ve seen on the Note 4, though the glass construction on the Note 5 is sure to make these same-old colors look considerably better.

When it comes to the Galaxy S6 edge+, there’s really not much to tell. The device will be a phablet version of the Galaxy S6 edge, with a curve on either side of the screen and the same color options as the Note 5. We can, however, confirm that the S6 edge+ will be powered by the Exynos 7420 instead of a Snapdragon 808, and have 3GB of RAM. Oh, and as we said yesterday, the Note 5 will certainly become the first Samsung phone to feature 4GB of RAM. We’re guessing storage options would be the same as the Galaxy S6 lineup, though it would be great if Samsung would make the 64GB variant the base model to make up for the lack of expandable storage.

Provided all the information we have been given turns out to be correct, Samsung’s next UNPACKED event could be one of its biggest yet, if only because of the number of things it will announce on a single day. The August launch seems too early to be true, but with numerous rumors pointing at Samsung moving faster with the Galaxy Note 5, it certainly looks like we will be hearing everything from the horse’s mouth in under a month from now.

Phones 56

FBiL
1 year 2 months ago

Personally I dont really mind about the battery, I’m never far from a handy charging point (car, office etc) plus the note 4 battery life has been excellent for me – 2 days for a single charge.

What I wont do without is an external SD. I switched from a Note 2 to a Oneplus One for a while and the pain involved in copying my music (23gig) over made me swear blind never again.

Before someone screams streaming at me, I regularly spend time in places where 2G signal is poor, and 3G and 4G non-existent which would make streaming difficult. Add to that the extra data charges and for me, at least, it’s a no go. YMMV

I guess it will be time to look at other manufacturers next time I upgrade (Shame Sony dont make a screen larger than 5.2″)

gazadon
1 year 2 months ago

Personally for me i’ve not used sd cards since my note 3 used to corrupt them for no apparent reason. Worked great one day then the next unreadable. So i just stopped using them.
I don’t store that much on the phone anyway so its not a real bother to me. I am currently using the dual sim s6 (g9200) and while battery life isn’t stellar it lasts long enough for my needs. Having said that i don’t think that i would walk around with an extra charged battery just for when the one in use goes dead. Had that experience with an s4 and the battery seemed to give out juice long before it should have. Don’t know if it was due to the storage before it went into the phone between charges but that was my first and last experience using a back up battery

obeythyswagga
1 year 2 months ago

Not having a removable battery and a microsd slot is a huge mistake by Samsung. If they add USB-C to the Note 5, the Note 5 will be ground breaking despite what they removed.

stondec
1 year 2 months ago

No removable battery is a fail, unless they can somehow manage to shoehorn a 10000mAh battery into the thing. I’ve been looking forward to upgrade my Note 4 but I just might skip the Note 5. Shame on you Samsung if this rumor is true.

bonerp
1 year 2 months ago

Bye bye Samsung. Watch your note followers simply walk away. We don’t want an iPhone 6 lookalike. Or a big s6. You’ve really messed this one up.

SomMabile
1 year 2 months ago

Nope. Some will go, others will stay, new Note buyers will show up. I originally thought I’d suffer without those things, but after considering it I almost never swap batteries, and my storage has never been full, though I naturally download my photos once in a while. The “losses” are not that great, for many people.

manojmcn
1 year 2 months ago

While its justified that some fans were disappointed with S6/S6 edge for lack of removable battery and Micro SD card, there were lot who pledged to move to LG G4, HTC One M9 and Sony Z3+/Z4. Now that all these three alternatives are flop as per reports, any idea where those people went? Is it to iphone with an even inferior battery to S6?

SenorSjon
1 year 2 months ago

They went simonly and hope phone makers will get it right next year. A flagship phone from a few years ago is still no slouch in current day use, so the need to upgrade isn’t as big as it used to be.

The current Snapdragon is a bit of a miss, so phones using it are not the happy campers.
Z3+/4: Same design since Z
One M9: same design since the first One
G4: screen is way off, batterylife soso.

manojmcn
1 year 2 months ago

Note 5 would be able to show the Samsung’s approach to the feedback from S6/S6 edge customers esp battery. If Note 5 battery size is anywhere near 4000mAh, be assured they are going to get it right with S7.

sza777

What i am seeing is
Note and Note edge

caesantos
1 year 2 months ago

Not to mention that SD Cards can stop working from nothing… and then our beloved photos can just disappear…

SenorSjon
1 year 2 months ago

Not to mention that phones can stop working from nothing… and then our beloved photos can just disappear.

In my experience, SD cards are more reliable than phones.

ThaiM
1 year 2 months ago

Can’t wait for the Note 4 prices to drop, or a better competing device comes out. Might just be done with Samsunk altogether. Good luck Sammy when Note 5 sales tank just like the S6.

gtm55
1 year 2 months ago

Sorry to say but it seems that the Note series is reaching end of the line for me; it was nice while it lasted, time to move on.

tommypx92
1 year 2 months ago

Screw Samsung, I’ve been nothing but let down from them.
They could pump out all the phones they like, but support for the devices is abysmal.
Honestly I used to love Samsung but I can say, in complete sincerity that I, will never purchase another Samsung product again, regardless what it is, TV, Phone, Freezer etc.

They can keep their disappointment for themselves, and I, will find another company who values it’s customers.

ProdByEchelon
1 year 2 months ago

The earlier the better! I want this phone now!

MStuart
1 year 2 months ago

I’m not the potential target for this device (way too big for me) but I can imagine that Note users are going to be really disappointed by the lack of removable battery and expandable storage, even more so than Galaxy S users…

robertkoa
1 year 2 months ago

Yes.Same situation for me . I don’t have anywhere to carry a Phone over S6 sized but I feel that Note 4 is probably the best Phone/Pocket Computer ever made and unfortunately the new Note 5 may be a slight downgrade in some respects.

Since S6 Battery is too small for me and not replaceable ( on my Alpha the Battery is too small but I pop in a spare on busy or long days..

IF Samsung got really clever and released an 8 millimeter thick S6 Active with no pushbuttons and no Armor just a metal 3500 mah S6 Pro or Lifestyle etc.-great.

IF they released a Note 5 Compact with about 5.0 or 5.1″ screen but 8 millimeter thick with large battery and Note Power and price- to separate itself from S6 and not anger S6 Owners- great.

vbx

where is the s6 mini?

masterross

No SD slot = fail!
I can live w/o changeable battery but not w/o SD slot!
Sorry Sammy, no cash for you!
I’ll stay with current Note 3 until better option appear!

SenorSjon
1 year 2 months ago

And what is that better option?
Anything with an SD810 = fail
No SD = fail
At least 5,7″
Android.

The Note 4 downgraded to USB 2.0 instead of 3 from the Note 3 and the ‘premium’ metal rim is quite sharp.

1 year 2 months ago

With the coming of UFS (the most speedy storage till date) SD cards slow it down. And SD-Cards are not always that liable. I once lost everything on it when I woke up and started the phone. SD-cards corrupted for no reason. UFS is far more Liable than an SD-card. Corruption could happen there also but far less than SD-cards.

SenorSjon
1 year 2 months ago

Perhaps I’m just lucky, but I never had a corrupt SD card. When I have a new phone, I just pop it out of the old one, straight into the new one. No hassling with internal phone memory. And better yet, when your phone dies for whatever reason, just grab the SD-card and save your photo’s.

But why would I want speedy storage if it is very expensive? Mind you, Samsung is going to let you pay for the premium memory when you want more of it. Phones with emmc5.0 can be bloody fast if they just quit putting so much crap on phones and update them regulary.

tommypx92

Well stated!

masterross
1 year 2 months ago

SD card are used as media storage!
Not to run apps from them.

thegeneral2010
1 year 2 months ago

they are afraid of apple of course they should be after how they treated note 4 owners i will never ever buy samsung device again i may shift to nexus or of course iphone

SomMabile
1 year 2 months ago

Do a little research. The Note 4 has the highest customer satisfaction of any phone, iPhones included.

q8peace
1 year 2 months ago

i think nexus this year will be great cause its the first to get usb type c and sd card support and finger print and android permission and multi window wow no need to buy samsung again – usually nexus get update very fast

stondec
1 year 2 months ago

Stop kidding yourself. Nexus phones really suck. Some sick slightly less than others but they all suck terribly – most are ugly as a turd (except for the Nexus One and 5), atrocious battery life, inferior screen, abominable camera, buggy software, functionally limited software, etc.

As much as I hate the steps backwards that Samsung is taking they still deliver a software that’s transcendentally more functional that stock android, they have camera optics that are second to none, best screen, among the best sound quality and loudness (of course beaten soundly by boom sound on HTC), etc. I would rather pay double the full price for a Samsung flagship any day than take a crappy Nexus for free.

Tondern
1 year 2 months ago

I don’t think we need to write more essays about the fact that it’s disappointing to see Samsung moving away from the flexibility they had in Note 4. If we can take any positive info with us from the recent leaks it would be that the S808 is not going to be in the S6 Edge+.

At the moment I’m probably looking more forward to the LG G3 pro if we can get a more powerful package than the LG G4.

j2001m
1 year 2 months ago

If they gone 808 than you will have got your sd card reader as it does not support ufs

Channel42x
1 year 2 months ago

If I want something looking like an S6, I’d rather **** off for an iPhone again.
No removable battery, smaller battery, no MicroSD, looking like the S6 is a downgrade too for my opinion (the glass can break on 2 sides of the phone and it’s getting pretty dirty, quickly)…

Even the S6 Active looks better than the normal one.

hot_spare
1 year 2 months ago

Gets your eyes checked, if you think Active looks better. Idiot.

Channel42x
1 year 2 months ago

It’s a personal opinion. Everyone has their own taste. So no need to cal anyone an idiot.

focr06
1 year 2 months ago

Speak for yourself, even with a thin hard clear plastic case, my phone has not break and survived my white girl wasted drunken nights. And everyone loves how sexy the gold S6 edge is…

With that being said, I was sad about no removable battery and SD card support, but now that I am using the phone, I AM GLADD IT DOESBT SUPPORT MICRO SD, for the same reason it used to piss me off before, SD cards slow down your phone’s overall performance… Specially camera! I used to have to reformat my card every 3 months or so, because it would get corrupted and many pics would not be written on the card, oh, exchanged 2 cards that went dead and one that went into read only mode. In the last 3.5 yrs. I guess SanDisk Sucks or I simply am more than a power user…

Now that I have gone through this, would I buy a phone with micro SD card support? Heck NO! 64 gbs is plenty for me and I have HomeSync 1TB and one drive cloud.. Performance it’s everything for me, and this damn ram bug is killing me to have to clean cache every other day… (running a new leak update for Tmobil, 3 days and no need to clean cache yet)

Hope that illuminates your cloudy self..

Can’t wait for my Note 5! Will not ever go back to an S, I have suffered enough, and not just the size, it’s all its features and S Pen…

Channel42x
1 year 2 months ago

I’ve never had any problems with SD-cards, maybe 1 broke because of the wear of switching it too much from one phone to the other. But that said, I don’t care about the fastest memory out there, just looking for the best. Don’t mind a MicroSD making it maybe slow down a bit, never had problem with slow sd-cards, maybe if they’re too full, then they can become slow, agreed. But that’s why I don’t push my SD-card full.

Plus, SD-cards have good things too. If my phones decides to give up on me, I take my SD-card out and put it in another phone, and still have all my music and pictures. You can’t do that with built-in memory. Or you need to think from time to time to transfer everything over to your computer, and personally I don’t want to deal with this or think of this.

But yeah, personal thing, just to mention…

ThaiM
1 year 2 months ago

You’re in the minority. The majority speaks and S6 tanked sales reflect that beyond a reasonable doubt. And the S6 is geared more towards the average Joe. The Note series has a different more defined user base and this downgrade from Samsunk will have historical lows. The Note series has reached the end of its life. Samsunk will need to move away from mobile devices and try to capitalize on TV and appliance sales.

j2001m
1 year 2 months ago

Why not posted above the note 5 is said to come with an all in 1 CPU, this is to make more room for a bigger battery, why is Samsung going to included all the ram and all other parts including ufs, in the one chip, to then go and add am emmc controler that hogs battery big time to also add the sd card reader and to then also take up mortherbord space and also slow down the phone, they best to just add the 808 as there is no support for ufs and ddr4 ram and then had your crap sd card with easy, just go and by an G4 or one of th Samsung A8 phones

wlting
1 year 2 months ago

no microSD… for me still fine, but for majority Samsung fans won’t like it happen… no removable battery must come with big enough battery sizes, we don’t want thin phone with small battery, my S6 must charge twice a day for normal heavy use

Blame Android L.

ThaiM
1 year 2 months ago

How do you make your comment green?

Vesta@12b
1 year 2 months ago

So basically Samsung will announce the Galaxy S6 Plus (AKA Note 5) and the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus? Wow, let’s wait and see.

caesantos
1 year 2 months ago

No, basically you’re a hater.

ThaiM
1 year 2 months ago

I hate that I’ve been waiting to upgrade my Note 2 to a Note 5 when I should’ve gotten the Note 4 long ago. All this time to find out it’d be a downgrade to a Note 5.

robertkoa

Get the Note 4 .

hot_spare
1 year 2 months ago

What downgrade?? You seem to know a lot about Note 5 than other people here.

ThaiM
1 year 2 months ago

No MicroSD is a downgrade. Limiting storage options is a downgrade. Would you buy a car where they removed the trunk and told you to use a shipping service instead? ie. cloud. No, it’s a downgrade.

Nine54
1 year 2 months ago

Lol, that’s a funny analogy. The issue I have with the lack of MicroSD and removable battery is that data doesn’t seem to support that these features are key drivers for customers. Despite having these features, as well as waterproofing, the S5 did not sell well compared to the iPhone and previous Galaxy S devices. People cited “build quality” as the reason. Folks largely agree that Samsung fixed the build quality issue with the S6/S6 Edge, but these devices still are not selling as well as Samsung hoped and are not truly challenging the iPhone. People now cite the lack of MicroSD and removable battery.

When Samsung phones had these features but a less premium build quality, people bought the iPhone. When Samsung phones match the iPhone in premium build quality but lack the MicroSD and removable battery features that the iPhone also lacks, people are still buying the iPhone. So the question is, why do people buy iPhones?

This suggests that Samsung may need to deliver a phone with premium build quality as well as MicroSD and removable battery. However, this is a tall order. It’s difficult to achieve an iPhone-level of build quality and thinness while including these these features, particularly the removable battery, as these increase the number of moving parts. Plus, the seams created by removable back covers lend to the perception of lesser build quality. And perhaps most importantly, these features make the device more expensive to manufacture. So, now Samsung needs to spend more money–without increasing the price of the phone–to build a phone with premium build quality + removable battery + MicroSD and still have no guarantee that this will move the needle.

And I’m not convinced it will. It’s becoming clear that being “as good as” or even better than the iPhone in some areas is not enough, which suggests that the iPhone benefits from a “whole being greater than the sum of its parts” perception. Android phones need a compelling, exclusive feature to lure customers away from Apple. The Edge screens seem to resonate, but the value-add is limited and the price is a barrier. Of course, Samsung could target the feature gaps of the iPhone and return to building phones with removable batteries, MicroSD, waterproofing, S-Pen, etc., but these will be relative niche devices.

robertkoa
1 year 2 months ago

Thinness is very overrated IMO and pushed by reviewers as an important “Premium” feature.
The result is on S6 for 3/4 of a millimeter more
you could have a 3200 Mah Battery and a less protruding Camera and the ergonomics would not be affected and they could have included SD Support and increased sales.
S6 and Edge are selling well…but not great…they may not hit their 70 million target but not a flop by any means.
I love Samsung’s Engineering skills and design skills- just wish they would have a few more phones like Note 4 ( but smaller) which have NO major Achilles Heel.

SenorSjon
1 year 2 months ago

Why copy an iPhone with the S6 when you could just buy an iPhone? People are put of by the lack of SD card, removable battery and the slippery glas back. It may look nicer, but it is an ergonomic hell. Don’t forget the price point and the difference between that and manufacturing it. Galaxy phones are getting more expensive by the year with diminishing differences between the different S or Note models.

I remember my Nokia E72 well. It had a stainless steel backcover and it was easy removable for the battery. SD card went into the side of the phone. That was about 5 years ago. I can’t call it progress if we can’t achieve the same thing today.

manojmcn
1 year 2 months ago

No, Note 5 is not exactly a S6 Plus.
It will have better hardware specs, S Pen related features.

Vesta@12b
1 year 2 months ago

You clearly missed the point of the comment.

manojmcn
1 year 2 months ago

No, you seem to be confused as to what S & Note series are.