Posted by Abhijeet M. 3 months ago

Samsung Galaxy Alpha to be unveiled on August 4th (update could be August 13)

galaxy-alpha-6-feature

Usually, at this time of the year, everyone looks forward to the next device in Samsung’s popular Galaxy Note lineup. However, some of the pre-release limelight of the next Galaxy Note has been stolen by Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy Alpha, mainly due to the fact that the device will be the first Android phone from Samsung to feature a metallic construction. We have already offered an exclusive look at some of the Galaxy Alpha’s hardware, and today we can confirm that the device will be officially announced on August 4th, instead of sometime in mid-August as other leaks had mentioned.

The early August announcement makes sense – it will give Samsung a month or so to let the excitement around the Galaxy Alpha die down before taking the stage and unveiling the Galaxy Note 4 in September. For those wondering why Samsung would want the excitement around its first metal-clad Android phone wane, it’s because the Galaxy Alpha is not meant as a flagship device. Instead, it will feature a mix of high-end and mid-range hardware – a 4.8-inch 720p display, 32 GB of non-expandable internal storage, a fingerprint scanner - and will be a lesser variant of the Galaxy S5, similar to the Galaxy S5 mini.

Update: Samsung might announce the Galaxy Alpha on August 13.

galaxy-alpha-1

galaxy-alpha-5

galaxy-alpha-4

10 comments on “Samsung Galaxy Alpha to be unveiled on August 4th (update could be August 13)

1. Thuglyf 3 months ago said:

Voila! This is a good news :) i can’t wait for it, though i wish it would run Tizen OS. it would have been more perfect. i wouldn’t want Tizen Phones to be cheap.

• LobsterMagnet 3 months ago said:

Tizen is a joke, if Samsung goes all in with tizen it’s only sealing its fate. Android will live on and tizen will be like windows os, dead… I had many Samsung phones, but I went to LG because Samsung wouldn’t get rid if those terrible hardware buttons and gigantic bezels. My G3 is by far a better phone then the S5 that my wife has, plus it has a metal frame with a plastic back (you’re late to the game Samsung) Samsung was great but their phones are too gimmicky now, UV sensor, fingerprint sensor, heartbeat sensor, what’s the point? Is just bloat added into TW. I hope Samsung comes around and realizes that no one wants bloat like that, and their shares will sink into they do. HTC realized sung mistakes except that terrible camera, but now it’s Samsungs turn to change.

• n900mixalot 3 months ago said:

You should know by now that Tizen is never, or was never an all-in thing for Samsung with respect to their phones. I wish people would stop saying that.

It isn’t true.

2. engid87 3 months ago said:

give it a snap 600 or 800 processor and the S5 or S4 camera and that’s the next phone I’ll have in my pocket (if I find the money…)

3. miguelinho 3 months ago said:

I like it but too small for me I only buy the note series.

And just for the record tizen haters it runs great on my gear and my camera

4. pepooh696 3 months ago said:

same old design not very attractive though

5. sebapolver 3 months ago said:

Unless Samsung will give it to me as a birthday gift (that day), they can keep it.

6. gtone339 3 months ago said:

Not much of a significant difference there. Already have the Galaxy S5 anyway. :)

7. PLANET 3 months ago said:

KNOX (no root), fingerprint scanner (nice to lose more and more of your privacy, eh?), no memory card slot (self-explanatory), nanoSIM (it’s so nice when you can’t just simply insert ANY of the SIMs used on the market – they are either mini or micro ; you have to not only cut it, but also rasp it to make it thinner.. VERY practical!)… the list probably will go on ;)

Good move, Samsung ;)

On the upper hand, tho, the screen should be HD (still being good ppi-wise, even at 4,8″ (306 ppi)) especially given the news of FHD used in Z3 Compact.. and given they use a GOOD Exynos, it will be a powerhorse ; the design is S2-like (which is good news, the farthest from the S3-and-so-on design, the better) ; the materials are good – metal and probably less plastic than ever (wonder tho if the phone’s waterproof ;) ; also as “always” (well, almost always) it will feature AMOLED with its great blacks/contrast, fixed buttons (alas touch, not physical for the most part of it) and exchangeable battery.

Interesting.. a mixed bag,

but I would prefer Sony Xperia Z1 Compact above it any day :)

8. johnyjackson 3 months ago said:

If this phone is mid-range, it makes sense.