Galaxy S4 goes up in flames

Phones getting overheated is a common occurrence but when that culminates into a fire that damages the phone and has the potential to harm the user, it becomes a serious concern. This is what apparently happened with a Galaxy S4 user in UAE who bought her device in May. Almost after a month, the user saw the Galaxy S4 burning after she had kept it for charging overnight. As the image shows, the Galaxy S4′s microUSB port and the USB cable are completely burnt while the flip cover receiving some damage as well.

Good thing for her that no one was hurt during the incident and post the coverage on Emirates 24/7, Samsung Gulf agreed to exchange it for a new Galaxy S4 and a flip cover.

We have gotten hold of the product in question, and will be conducting a thorough examination to determine the exact cause of this incident. We would like to assure our customers that we have always employed strict quality control and safety standards to ensure a safe and pleasant user experience.

What the examination will conclude is a big question but let’s hope Samsung does update us on the findings as there are chances the user could be faking like the previous Galaxy S III user.

Phones 18

This is fake
2 years 2 months ago

Some people just want to see the world burn ;) Ok its not the first case. A similar thing happened to an 18 year old girl in Switzerland but it resulted in 2nd and 3rd degree burns. It happens my Nokia N95 exploded as well and thank God it didnt set the house on fire as it was lying on a stack of documents.

best regards

PS the you can find the links to the original articles on

2 years 2 months ago

Actually, it’s not possible to withdraw an electrical current able to cause such a damage from a (5 V) charger!
Also, when there is a weak point in the conductors, only that point shall fail and have a damage (which would be only plastic melting after melting of the wire inside).
It’s totally impossible to have such a damage due to heating after charging!
One day, I had a 220 V cable failed due to overload, and trust me, there was no burning, only melting!

2 years 2 months ago

that looks like a power surge or faulty wall socket or something. shoddy electrics I’d say…

2 years 2 months ago

an apple fan-boy just burnt a samsung SIV. it seemed like to me :)

2 years 2 months ago

Maybe she forgot to turn off the power? Or……maybe it’s the intense heat over there at UAE? Wifi?

2 years 2 months ago

I think she messed up with the voltage settings, as its pretty easy with a custom kernel. This is the reason i don’t increase or decrease voltage values. Stock is best.

2 years 2 months ago

And this is why you should always use a surge protector. The ONLY thing that could have caused this ia a powersurge.

If you charge your phone overnight, against the safety advice of every single tech expert out there, then at least have the common sense to use a surge protector.

2 years 2 months ago

I believe with vslsnks on 10 July 2013 on Galaxy s4 all phone has a automatic shut off when is fully charge so if there was a way to bypass the automatic shut off that the only way.

2 years 2 months ago

Could be many things power surge she used the wrong voltage.. Or just a prank.. my bet is she used a wrong voltage or a power surge.. I have a s4 and it never gets hot ever.

2 years 2 months ago

are u sure the previous one was a fake ?? and is it just me or dont u need like idk atleast 500V to do that ?? and why is this even happening (if not fake) does anyone here have a possible answer??

2 years 2 months ago

I will never understand how a phone can catch fire while charging. My phone simply stops charging when to hot, and starts automatically when cooled down. ALL PHONES HAVE THAT FEATURE!!

i think like you!

It look more like a fake or some charging mod that went wrong.

I always leave my note2 ( with stock kernel ) plugged to have it at 100% when i leave my house and i never had any overheat problem or anything.

But don’t forget bad and-or cheap baterie can overheat and explode too!

100% fake.
someone set fire to himself.
eg iphone fans

USB kabl ni bil OK

2 years 2 months ago

USB kabl was destroyed, not OK

2 years 2 months ago

“Samsung Gulf agreed to exchange it for a new Galaxy S4 and a flip cover”

Not initially.
At first they refused to give a replacement phone but only offered to repair her own device and the flipcover was not being replaced.
Ony after Emirates 24|7 did a story about it and contacted Samsung they were willing to give a brand new S4 + flipcover (follow the link to Emirates 24|7 article)

2 years 2 months ago

Considering the phone charges quicker then most phones I hardly do an overnight charge.

But yeah sounds like a hardware fault.